1970 Newport Proportioning valve.

Lawrence Birke

Reaction score
I am restoring 1970 Newport Convertible. Currently rebuilding rear drum brake lines. Would like to find new, correct proportioning valve and tool to use when bleeding rear brakes.. Any thoughts? Thanks.

As for the bleeding, all you need is the correct size boxed-end wrench. Sorry, but I can't tell you what that size is.

As for the prop valve, unless you've swapped your front drums for disks there is no need to swap that. If it is inoperable, any valve from a '70 Chrysler will work, Newport, 300, or New Yorker. When I swapped my drums for disks I pulled the valve off of a '70 New Yorker Disk car; works great!

There are no rear wheel proportioning valves in cars post 1968. Do you mean the distribution block below the master cylinder?

There is a "Brake Warning Valve" for the brake light that also serves as a distribution block. Chrysler used a metering valve to the front disc brakes located at the front cross member where the L/R split occurs. No proportioning valve to the rear brakes on '70 models.

Dave

Are you referring to the splitting block on the axle? The one with the axle vent tube going through it? It's solid brass, so it will clean up nicely, no need to replace unless it is cracked or stripped. If that's what you're referring to.

It appears that Chrysler did their plumbing a little differently than GM did, back then, which resulted in some "different" items and different names for them. In the Chrysler sense of things, the Chrysler terminology works for what the items are, by observation.

What issues does the desired item seem to have? Just curious.

CBODY67

To those who are asking, yes, that's what I'm referring to. I've always heard them being called prop valves, but that is what I'm talking about.

This guy is a little goofy to listen to, but he explains the differences well.

Thanks everyone for their replies. I always heard it called a proportioning valve but I guess it is really only a distribution block. In any case lines come in to the brass block from the master cylinder and run out to the front and rear brakes. It also appears to have an electrical line which runs to the brake warning light on the dash. My Newport has drum brakes front and back. I have not been able to get fluid through the rear lines to bleed the rear wheel cylinders. (I have successfully bled the front brakes) I guessed that the block where all the lines intersect might be clogged and I should just replace it. I do not know where there is a 70 Mopar car which has the part I can scavenge. I thought maybe some supplier was reproducing this part - hence the question. I guess I will remove the block and attempt to clean it, Any futher thoughts would be appreciated.

First pull the line for your rear brake hose and see if you can get fluid to flow out of the steel line. Internal lining of the brake hose may have come apart and clogged the brass distribution block on the rear axle. More likely than a clogged brake warning block.

Dave

No flow out of steel brake line even when separated from brake hose. Clogged distribution block?? Planning to pull distribution block tomorrow and try to clean. Thanks.

No flow out of steel brake line even when separated from brake hose. Clogged distribution block?? Planning to pull distribution block tomorrow and try to clean. Thanks.

It is probably either that or you rear piston in the master cylinder has a bad cup. Have you changed the master cylinder? Might also want to check the input hole in the MC casting for the rear brake piston to be sure it is not blocked with something.

Dave

Back