2018 Hurricane Season... looks like the fun is begining...

What is the most important item in your hurricane survival kit?

• Beer

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Condoms

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Ammunition

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Cigarettes

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
I just got a message from him too, he sounded troubled to say the least but ok.

I just received a phone call from Jer. He and Gail are OK. His has a small generator but has to be careful because there is no gasoline available. There's no power anywhere and everthing is shut down. Gas stations on generator power are out of gasoline or there's a 45 min. line.
He has food for a few days and he has his son checking in on them. His son has his own problems with fallen trees and one of them destroyed the house.

Things are rough in Wilmington, for sure. He asked me to spread the word to everyone that they're OK.

That is great news in a troubled environment.

Hang in there Jer!

I just received a phone call from Jer. He and Gail are OK. His has a small generator but has to be careful because there is no gasoline available. There's no power anywhere and everthing is shut down. Gas stations on generator power are out of gasoline or there's a 45 min. line.
He has food for a few days and he has his son checking in on them. His son has his own problems with fallen trees and one of them destroyed the house.

Things are rough in Wilmington, for sure. He asked me to spread the word to everyone that they're OK.
Good news, considering the circumstances. The news predicts a tough week ahead of them as the rains keep sending water their way.

To be so cut off and have so few options is not a situation I envy. I'm guessing Jer is plenty capable of keeping them going up there. Keeping him in thoughts and prayers is about all we can do at the moment.

Florence_rainfall.gif

Looks like just a little more rain for Wilmington... they should get a start at reopening roads today, and maybe power... but they are calling for flooding troubles all week, with rivers getting worse as the week goes on. They predict the rivers cresting sometime on Thursday...

Watching local news.
As of right now heavy rain on the DOT cameras on the interstate in Raleigh. Traffic was extremely light. Rivers south & east of Raleigh are still rising & expect to crest in 2 days. Tornado on the ground east of Raleigh & heavy T storms all over. National Weather Service reporting conditions are right for tornados. Most roads leading in/out of Wilmington damaged or flooded. 15 confirmed deaths.

Damn, can you imagine if this thing had it the coast as a 4 or 5 moving that slow?

The neat thing about this great country. Power/Line crews from states far away are arriving on the scene & the local power company is directing them to areas needed & emergency rescue teams, one as far away as Los Angeles, California also are on the scene & are already rescuing people & pets. A BIG SHOUT OUT to all these folks.

17 confirmed deaths. Expected to rise. The City of Wilmington has officially reported they are cut off. No way in or out except via Hellicopter. And get this. I’ve never heard this. They are asking all North Carolina residents state wide to stay off the roads. If something happens to you we may not be able to get to you the official said.

It takes a lot to block Wilmington off, and they're just going to get more water as the rivers drain the rest of the state. I did hear that Oak Island is inaccessible due to 17 and 211 being under water at places, but that's pretty normal after a wet hurricane.

Here in Lexington I got over 1' of rain yesterday, but my "gauge" is only a foot deep so I don't know how much more came down. No damage for me, but my basement did flood last night so I have to deal with that. Maybe in a day or two we will find out how my father's beach house came through.

Last edited:
I just spoke with Jer and they are ok, still high and dry with only minor exterior damage. His daughters house didn’t fair as well though, they have tree limbs that penetrated the roof and knocked down some sheet rock from the ceilings. He can drive back and forth between the 2 places so he can utilize their generator as he does not have one. He is without power on his street but the surrounding parts of the sub have power so hopefully he will get his back soon. He has running water for now but there’s worry that the generators that are supplying power for to the water pumping stations will run out of gas.

Hang in there Jer, best of luck to you and your daughters families.

Also keeping in mind the others affected by this storm.

Last edited:
Thoughts and prayers to Jer and family and all those affected from us folks in the higher elevations. The situation they’re faced with makes our little skiff of early snow seem pretty insignificant.

Glad to hear you and Gary made it through okay, Bob. Also nice to know Jer is okay, and anyone else in the path of what ended up being a massive water event. They're saying now it could be 1-2 weeks before all the water dumped in the center and west of the state makes its way to the coast, so more flood potential for days to come.

Curious how it was at your place, Bob. We were maybe 8-12 miles west of you toward Creedmoor before moving up here. We ended up with a lake in the yard and one shingle blown off after the storm in 2012 or whenever it was that soaked Joisey.

BTW, the remnants are hitting us now in northern VA. Big downpours, 2-3 inches and hour predicted in some areas. nothing like the 2-3 feet they got around New Bern and Wilmington, thankfully.With all the rain around here this summer it will be amazing if more trees don't fall over.

Glad to hear you and Gary made it through okay, Bob. Also nice to know Jer is okay, and anyone else in the path of what ended up being a massive water event. They're saying now it could be 1-2 weeks before all the water dumped in the center and west of the state makes its way to the coast, so more flood potential for days to come.

Curious how it was at your place, Bob. We were maybe 8-12 miles west of you toward Creedmoor before moving up here. We ended up with a lake in the yard and one shingle blown off after the storm in 2012 or whenever it was that soaked Joisey.

BTW, the remnants are hitting us now in northern VA. Big downpours, 2-3 inches and hour predicted in some areas. nothing like the 2-3 feet they got around New Bern and Wilmington, thankfully.With all the rain around here this summer it will be amazing if more trees don't fall over.
Piece of cake here at my place. Looks like the furthest strong band got to the upper edge of Raleigh. I’m 30 minutes or so north & just got about 3 inches of rain & mild wind. Everything is fine here. Flo slid right under me PTL ! I don’t think Creedmore was in its path. It’s north as well.

Back