2023 the year of no progress for the ‘68

Cut your losses and sell the car as is. It will only become a thorn in your side the longer you keep it.

You're 22yo, recently married with a child on the way or here already and renting an apartment/house.

Your focus at this point should be towards saving for your own home.
The mistake is already made by taking apart a car that looked like it wasn't too far away from being road worthy, if the picture of the car on the trailer is when you bought it.

You are young, you'll have plenty of time for toys when you can better afford them.

Thankfully I got almost all of the “expensive” stuff squared away. Maybe even went overkill. Rebuilt 440, rebuilt 727 trans with a Transgo TF2 kit inside, suspension entirely rebuilt, new brakes and hardware on all 4 corners, upgraded stock drums up front to 1972 C Body brakes. Rebuilt brake booster, steering box, steering pump, all sitting on a detailed, primed and painted frame / fully undercoated body. Replaced almost all the junk metal myself and now currently re-wiring everything. Spent a good chunk of change on a custom gauge cluster with upgraded internals but kept the stock look.

I’ve done way too much to give up on it yet, it’ll go when I’m gone! Or unless someone trades me a 2 door 62 Chrysler just as nice for this 68

Although I slacked off basically all of 2023, I’m gonna hit it as hard as I can this year. I truly believe I will get to take this car on her maiden voyage this year. Biggest thing now is the wiring getting done by a pro and someone I trust.

IMG_3993.jpeg

IMG_4046.jpeg

IMG_4112.jpeg

Although I slacked off basically all of 2023, I’m gonna hit it as hard as I can this year. I truly believe I will get to take this car on her maiden voyage this year. Biggest thing now is the wiring getting done by a pro and someone I trust.

View attachment 639936

View attachment 639937

View attachment 639938
Wiring is surprisingly simple on these cars. Do you still have the original harnesses? Evans wiring can make you a new one if you can't find someone local. I'd stay away from a universal kit if I were tackling the wiring.

Wiring is surprisingly simple on these cars. Do you still have the original harnesses? Evans wiring can make you a new one if you can't find someone local. I'd stay away from a universal kit if I were tackling the wiring.

Yes, everything is in tact and in great shape. I’m not doing it myself or sending it off. A friend of mine is a wiring wizard and has done work on a lot of the lowriders cruising town. He’s real precise and likes to make everything look good as well as function well. Starting with the dash / bulkhead first.

IMG_3455.jpeg

IMG_3453.jpeg

I’m actually stuck on how I should go about the ammeter bypass. I had my ammeter converted to a voltmeter.

IMG_3399.jpeg

I don’t think I’ll have to go the MAD route now?

@Isaiah Estrada
I inherited my 68 300 when I was 24 or so. I enjoyed it while I could, but then the engine really went south and it was going to be way too expensive for me to repair it. Then I met the love of my life at 27, got married, and had a couple of great kids. The car just sat… and sat…. And sat.

Then one day when my daughter was 10, she turns to me and says “Dad, are we ever going to get to ride in that really cool car?” Then all of sudden I seemed to start finding time (and money) to work on it again. Some things I could do myself, other things I had to pay mechanics to do. But getting that car back on the road has become “our thing” with my daughter and I. We go to car shows, cars and coffee, or just cruise around town. She and I have spent countless hours together in that car talking about some of life’s most important things. Time I will cherish for the rest of my life. Things I never thought I would get out of this “hobby”. She is heading off to college next year and I am going to miss these rides with her.

My advice, take it or leave it, find a place you can store it cheap, but covered with a carport at a minimum (a garage would be even better). Register it as planned non-op every year to keep it in DMV’s system. Then some day in the not so distant future, your soon to be new baby is going to turn to YOU and say “Dad, are we ever going to get to ride in the really cool car?”

Yes, everything is in tact and in great shape. I’m not doing it myself or sending it off. A friend of mine is a wiring wizard and has done work on a lot of the lowriders cruising town. He’s real precise and likes to make everything look good as well as function well. Starting with the dash / bulkhead first.

View attachment 639956
View attachment 639955

I’m actually stuck on how I should go about the ammeter bypass. I had my ammeter converted to a voltmeter.

View attachment 639957

I don’t think I’ll have to go the MAD route now?
Wire up the " new" voltmeter to a switched 12 volt source at fuse panel on positive side wire, and ground negative side.
Do the underhood ammeter bypass and connect the original ammeter wires together.
Make sure power is going in and out at ignition switch and blue wire at ballast wire.
Hope this helps.

Having to pay for storage for years while renting instead of owning one's own home is really poor advice.
He's 22yo with a new born or child on the way and in his own words says he barely has $20 or $30 left after paying bills the last thing he needs is to be holding on to a somewhat common car in hopes of finishing it "some day".

When that child is born he'll be lucky to have $20 or $30 left over and reality and not hope will set in.

Having to pay for storage for years while renting instead of owning one's own home is really poor advice.
He's 22yo with a new born or child on the way and in his own words says he barely has $20 or $30 left after paying bills the last thing he needs is to be holding on to a somewhat common car in hopes of finishing it "some day".

When that child is born he'll be lucky to have $20 or $30 left over and reality and not hope will set in.
Clearly you didn't read posts #21, #22 and #24, he's keeping the car. Why not be happy for him, and offer some encouragement and tips that can help him save money?

I'm sure if we were closer to him, we'd be helping him out in person.

Clearly you didn't read posts #21, #22 and #24, he's keeping the car. Why not be happy for him, and offer some encouragement and tips that can help him save money?

I'm sure if we were closer to him, we'd be helping him out in person.
I'm the only one here to offer him adult advice.

Apparently by your advice, hauling around an unfinished and most likely never to be finished project car for 25 years is sound financial advice.

22yo just starting a family, dump an unfinished money pit, save the money from said pit and any other money to buy your first home.

Never get emotionally attached to any object.
At his age with a new family if he puts toys before purchasing a home he will be a renter for years.

They'll be plenty of time in his life to play with toys and plenty of cars to chose from.

I'm the only one here to offer him adult advice.

Apparently by your advice, hauling around an unfinished and most likely never to be finished project car for 25 years is sound financial advice.

22yo just starting a family, dump an unfinished money pit, save the money from said pit and any other money to buy your first home.

Never get emotionally attached to any object.
At his age with a new family if he puts toys before purchasing a home he will be a renter for years.

They'll be plenty of time in his life to play with toys and plenty of cars to chose from.
We are all adults here, there is no correct "adult" advice, as you suggest. No one is telling him to go broke over the car, rather to keep it if it's possible, especially after all the work he's put into it.

There may be plenty of cars to chose from later, but they will not be the one he has now.

I've dragged around a car for twenty five years, and I'm glad I did, I still have my first old Mopar. I pay for storage for six of my cars, never have I put them before any of my responsibilities. Isaiah has a good head on his shoulders, I'm sure he will figure it out without taking away from his wife or children.

That said, good day jakter.

We are all adults here, there is no correct "adult" advice, as you suggest. No one is telling him to go broke over the car, rather to keep it if it's possible, especially after all the work he's put into it.

There may be plenty of cars to chose from later, but they will not be the one he has now.

I've dragged around a car for twenty five years, and I'm glad I did, I still have my first old Mopar. I pay for storage for six of my cars, never have I put them before any of my responsibilities. Isaiah has a good head on his shoulders, I'm sure he will figure it out without taking away from his wife or children.

I'm glad I have that gaslighter on ignore.
Here only to stir the pot.
Good job Scott.

Rebuilding a c body is mostly not sound financial advice, and we all know that.
Life is not about money, you have to have fun, too.
Isaiah is in CA, so keeping the car around won't lead to it rotting away any time soon.
I 'd say hang on to it if at all feasible, at least until it's a running, driving car, the return on investment will be higher then.
I may be wrong, but I think the most expense left is the interior, I don't know the condition of what is there now. That can be done one piece, one panel at a time.

Last edited:
The best part of the car is that it is currently stored in a garage at my friend’s shop. I am not being charged rent out of his own kindness, which has been a big help. Per my wiring guy, he thinks we should have the car ready to roll by the summer. With his help I believe it to be true.

My homework for the time being would be to get the heater box rebuild finished, and plumb the brakes. Heater box is what I would like to finish first, as I’d like to have it in before we re-install the dash. I can’t imagine what a pain it’d be to install the heater box with the dash still inside…

After that it’s all re-attaching linkages, putting everything else back together.

@Isaiah Estrada put a link to your build thread.
What is the condition of the interior?
A/C or not?
Original interior was roached but Isaiah did gather bucket seats from a 66 Chrysler
Yes factory A/C car.

LOL.
You're the poster boy for why it's a bad decision for the OP to hang onto the project.
You've paid for years of storage for projects that are still not roadworthy today.

Why don't you tell us what has prevented you from having your projects plated, insured and ready to be driven anywhere with the turn of the key today?

I know that by my following the advice I'm giving here that today I can walk into my own building on my own property check the fluids and turn the key and drive away with any one of my old cars.

Thank you for providing a first hand account at what I'm advising the OP against doing.

Isaiah,

If sound financial advice is what you’re looking for here, then get out of the old car hobby. From a purely financial perspective, and as much as I hate to say it, Jakter is not wrong. You will likely not come out ahead financially speaking on these cars.

Now if you are here for support and encouragement (which is what I think you are here for), I think you are wise to keep the car, especially knowing your buddy is letting you store it no charge. I too was in your situation, granted it was 20 years ago. Newly wed, starting out in my career (little money), with kids on the way. I contemplated selling my 68 but knew I would not get much for it in its condition at that time. I had a garage for it so I kept it. And it sat…. A long time. But now being a part of the car culture with my teenage daughter is priceless. I know the same is going to happen for you with your growing family someday.

Back