57 Plymouth Savoy

IMG_6892.jpeg
IMG_6893.jpeg

Anyone know what fuel pump this is and where I can find a replacement? And will a fuel pump from an LA engine work?

Well it says AC on it and there is plenty of sealant goop to suggest that it isn't original and was replaced at some point in the past. The original should be a Carter and I do believe one from an LA will work.

I was able to get a fuel pump from O'Reillys and now the engine can pump its own fuel. I also hosed the carb out with carb cleaner. When running it sounds pretty good, it's surprisingly quiet. I'll see if I can post a video here, otherwise check out my Instagram @alecs_automotive_adventures.

I was able to get a fuel pump from O'Reillys and now the engine can pump its own fuel. I also hosed the carb out with carb cleaner. When running it sounds pretty good, it's surprisingly quiet. I'll see if I can post a video here, otherwise check out my Instagram @alecs_automotive_adventures.
Post it to YouTube, and post the link here.

Here are two videos I took of my 57 running. I was out of money at that moment so I could not afford any new tune-up parts. What I did was wash the spark plugs with carb cleaner and brush them off, then used a file to clean up the points as they looked pretty bad. I had a spare used ignition coil so I swapped that on as well and the car ran great. The generator even charges!

IMG_6905.JPG
E56F2F4E-DCEB-4986-8B9D-EB720EB6A086.jpg
015F0654-2332-4901-8E48-E03E471B0B59.jpg
8C90A446-EEDC-456C-82EC-6DD5B309590C.jpg
280F956C-7CCB-43B2-9E2F-C8FE2905F115.jpg

After that, I went to a local junkyard and pulled disc brake components from a wrecked 1973 Dodge Coronet that I will swap onto my 57 to give it disc brakes.
IMG_6924.JPG

Here are two videos I took of my 57 running. I was out of money at that moment so I could not afford any new tune-up parts. What I did was wash the spark plugs with carb cleaner and brush them off, then used a file to clean up the points as they looked pretty bad. I had a spare used ignition coil so I swapped that on as well and the car ran great. The generator even charges!

View attachment 638329View attachment 638330View attachment 638331View attachment 638332View attachment 638333

After that, I went to a local junkyard and pulled disc brake components from a wrecked 1973 Dodge Coronet that I will swap onto my 57 to give it disc brakes.
View attachment 638334

Is there a list that says these will work? I have seen F,J,M spindles (Volare',NY etc.) installed. See James Rawa's (Fury Jim) Album on Face Book for instructions and a video.

I did the disc swap using the F, J, M spindles about 20 years ago on a 58 Plymouth. I'm not sure which they came from since they were already removed when I got them from the wrecking yard. It was easy enough. I don't know if the spindles on a B body will work.

Is there a list that says these will work? I have seen F,J,M spindles (Volare',NY etc.) installed. See James Rawa's (Fury Jim) Album on Face Book for instructions and a video.
The suspension on the 73 Coronet was similar in design to the 57, so I think it will work. If not I have another set of spindles I can try. Dylan McCool on YouTube did a similar swap on his 58 Plymouth from a 5th Avenue.

A 5th Ave is not the same as a Coronet.
This article claims that the B body spindle is the same as what came in the FMJ body cars.

"There's a fierce debate going on about the so-called B-Body spindle. This one spindle is actually used in all '73-and-up B-, F-, J-, M- and R-Body cars, which is a huge source for cheap disc brakes."

If this is true then my Coronet disc brakes should be the same as a 5th Avenue. I will report back whether or not they fit on my 57. Otherwise, I can use them on my Charger or something.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mopp-0503-swapping-a-and-b-disc-brake-spindles/

I was able to get a new (used) windshield from John at Big M to replace the broken windshield. Now John told me to clean and put the old seal in hot water, then to soak it in a bag with GoJo hand soap. He says that will restore the rubber and make it reusable, anyone done anything like this?
IMG_7010.jpeg

Yes, and it works! Use the smooth non-grit gojo. Generics at auto supply store may work also like GOOP at Harbor freight too.

IMG_7236.jpeg

I was able to fit the 73 Coronet spindles onto the 57 balljoints with no problems. They bolted together like is was made for the car. I did have to cut off the old steering stop on the strut rod, and everything fit perfectly. I rebuilt the calipers and got new rotors and pads. Then I was able to install an old dual circuit master cylinder and bent new lines down to the rear line and front distribution block. Up next is bleeding.

Back