57 Plymouth Savoy

AlecB

Reaction score
Well I am excited to share that I just bought my first Forward Look car, a 1957 Plymouth Savoy. I saw this car at Pick N Pull and could not believe it was there. I negotiated with the yard and got it for a good price. It does run and drive, but needs tuning up as it has sat for a long time. It has no options, not even a radio, just a 3 on the tree and a poly V8.

IMG_0656.jpeg

IMG_6774.jpeg

IMG_6750.jpeg

IMG_6752.jpeg

IMG_6755.jpeg

Good thing you got it before a lot of things were " picked " and…. " pulled " off it....
A 1957 Plymouth Savoy has a lot of desirable parts to be picked and pulled....

I have 5 --- 1957 DeSoto Firedomes... These 1957 s are crazy …. ( Great. ) Stylish.....

Congratulations.....Craig.....

Last edited:
301 V8, full wheelcovers, fender mirrors, side trim strips, heater, cig lighter (can't see if your car has one or not), back-up lights (you'll have to see if yours are wired up) are all options. It isn't a no option, bare bones car at all. I had one just like it, same color, similarly optioned except mine had powerflight auto trans. It looks like a really straight original and unmolested car. Cool car!

301 V8, full wheelcovers, fender mirrors, side trim strips, heater, cig lighter (can't see if your car has one or not), back-up lights (you'll have to see if yours are wired up) are all options. It isn't a no option, bare bones car at all. I had one just like it, same color, similarly optioned except mine had powerflight auto trans. It looks like a really straight original and unmolested car. Cool car!
I did not know you could customize the car that much! I figured it was some super low trim base model considering it has manual everything, no radio, 3 on the tree. Did these cars come with fender tags? I’m not used to mopars this old.

Base model would be the Plaza.. and unless it was special ordered the factory, it was just built that way. I can't tell from the pics but the mirrors may be dealer added. The dealer could have added anything really. You can actually contact Chrysler Historical to get a copy of the build sheet to see the factory build specs of your car and where it was shipped to. That is worth doing. It's a great car to build! Fender tag will be on the passenger side firewall under the hood I believe. Manual steering and brakes were not uncommon on a Plymouth, remember Plymouth was a low priced car. I had a 58 Belvedere 2 door HT that was very unusually optioned for the flagship highline trim model.. 318 power pack, torqueflight, power steering, solex glass, safety package (padded dash and visors), sport tone side trim (painted to match the roof), bumper wings, whitewall tires, fender mirror, heater, NO RADIO in California...

Congrats on the purchase and finding it before it was "found". It'll be interesting to get it back to its former glory.

Although www.jholst.net is primarily concerned with '55-'65 Chrysler Letter Cars, there is also a lot of information which can crossover to the normal Forward Look cars of the time, including Plymouths. Parts books for one. You can also check www.mymopar.com for Plymouth service manuals from back then, too.

You might be able to find some sales brochures online which you can download to look at. Plus some print ads from back then. There are a good number of old television commercials and such on YouTube. Plus sales training videos, too, comparing Chrysler products to competing vehicles from back then, too.

As "plain" as a lower-level Plymouth could be back then, there was a lot of excitement about them, too. Which the commercials and such reflect and convey. Compared to the more popular Chevrolets, Chrysler products were far ahead in their basic engineering in powertrains and suspension dynamics.

Keep us posted on your progress, please.

CBODY67

All 57 Plymouths came with back-up light lenses. If it came with back-up lights it will have the sockets for the bulbs. If it didn't it will not have the sockets. Those do not look like factory mirrors. When you replace the windshield, save the gasket if at all possible. Nice car, I'm glad you got to it first. 57 Plymouths are nice cars whether they are 2 door hardtops or four door sedans.

I can't tell from the pics but the mirrors may be dealer added.
Those mirrors are the cheesy plastic "universal" mirrors that you see at the parts store. I would like to find some original mirrors or some that fit the look of the car.
As "plain" as a lower-level Plymouth could be back then, there was a lot of excitement about them, too. Which the commercials and such reflect and convey. Compared to the more popular Chevrolets, Chrysler products were far ahead in their basic engineering in powertrains and suspension dynamics.

Keep us posted on your progress, please.
I have seen a few of those commercials on YouTube. I'm very excited to dig into this car.

Back when those cars were new, the outside rear view mirror was a factory option. It was popular to get an aftermarket mirror that might be nicer. The Yankee brand was one of the better brands back then. Probably OEM-level or similar quality.

The matching rh mirrors were somewhat popular, too, but pretty much useless as to being able to see out of them from the driver's side. But they looked good.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

You know, I can't believe how solid that car is. What a great save. If you are careful and take your time, I bet that paint can be brought back to be pretty presentable! I can't wait to see this car cleaned up, rubbed out and polished up.

Nice find! I have a black 57 Savoy myself, and I am glad that you could save it from an ignominious ending...I'm sure the crusher would have been it's ultimate fate.

Rob

I’m hoping someone can help me with this, neither of my rear doors will latch shut. I don’t know anything about how these door mechanisms work, there is a small gear/wheel on the doors that spin freely. I’m assuming these are supposed to hold the door shut but I don’t know for certain. Any help would be appreciated.

I’m hoping someone can help me with this, neither of my rear doors will latch shut. I don’t know anything about how these door mechanisms work, there is a small gear/wheel on the doors that spin freely. I’m assuming these are supposed to hold the door shut but I don’t know for certain. Any help would be appreciated.
Are your inside handles stuck in the open position?
I would carefully remove the interior door panel and lubricate all the moving parts.

Yes, all 1957-1959 Mopar door latches suck. The mechanisms need to be cleaned. inspected, tightened up, check rivets, and hardware, oiled or replaced.

The gear/wheel that is spinning freely indicates something is stuck in the open position.
Inside the door, at the latch side, is some hard to see mechanisms that unlock the door.
I believe you can access some of the linkages by removing the rubber plug.

It would help if you opened up a working door and observed how everything interacts to understand the workings better.

It's hard to see in the upper corner of the door as it is but seeing a working one will help you understand.
Shouldn't be a big deal to get working again, just don't force things too hard.

Back