63 Newport questions

olsn500

Reaction score
I ran across this 63 Newport online in the hands of a demo guy. He wants to let it go, body looks ok for the Midwest. As soon as he gets back in contact with me I'm going to go look at it. First it has a Firebolt 361. If the motor is shot, what will bolt up to the transmission? Are there any transmission issues with these? It either has the 3spd or the torqueflight. The car is going to end up as my oldest daughters first ride. The wife and I thought she might appreciate it more if she had to have a hand in making it road worthy. Plus in my opinion, I figured having an older car first might be a better learning experience as a driver.

I believe a 383, 400, 413 or a 440 should bolt up to it.

Maybe some of the Forward Look guys may have more info.

The 361 is a big block, or "B" motor. Any big block, "B" or "RB" will mount t the transmission. However, there are some differences is how a particular motor is balanced if the transmission is an automatic. I do believe the 383, 413, and 440 are all internally balanced, so any would be a bolt-up. But the 400 is externally balanced, so you would need to swap in a correct torque converter to sue such a motor.

I would imagine, but do not know, that the same issues will arise if the transmission is a manual.

Back