'67 or '68 Newport....Which do you Prefer?

Mr onetwo

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
67 front.jpg
68 front.JPG
67 rear.jpg
68 rear.jpg
Which years styling do you guys like better? I kind of like the '67 tail better and I'm split on the nose of the 2 years.'67 nose has sort of old-school presidential limo vibe to it....'68 much cleaner and more modern.

Last edited:
Any choice other than 1968 is not a choice!!!!!
In regards to a Newport ....

At least between those two years...... :)

( even tho I have had a couple '67s in past )

:bs_flag:...you're only saying that because you have a 67 Chrysler

1968 is the clear choice
I'm really not, my '67 Imperial is a totally different from these and is of no consequence here. I really do prefer the '67 here, coming and going.

If I have to pick I'll say '68 because I remember that year when suddenly everything on the cars was "recessed."

Gawd, it is so obvious which....
And I am not biased.
I made this decision in September of 1967.

Are all these biases (sp?) based on what you own or because of the actual styling as if you owned neither...

I actually like the front end on the 67 more don't care to the back on the newport. As far as the 300 I think is the best of both.

For me the '67 Newport and Newport Custom are just about the prettiest cars ever.

Why more so than the '68's?:

1. Parallel horizontal/vertical lines. They are everywhere. Tail lights, side body lines, dash, wheel covers, horn center cap, grill, seat upholstery, thumbwheel radio, hood, door panels, the body side trim on the Custom, floor mats, etc.

2. '67 saw the beginning of the end for chrome accents. Window cranks got a black knob in '68. Horn center cap went to padded foam in '68 due to safety regulations.

3. '68's have a deeper dash pad and add on padding on the bottom of the dash frame. Again for safety regulations.

4. Contoured fender and quarter extensions. Makes it easy to tell where the corner of the car is when maneuvering. Plus I just think it looks better than the boxed off 68's.

5. For better or worse, one year only flow thru ventilation. A great airflow idea but an engineering shortcoming. Lots of leaking, drain plugging, and then rust.

6. '67 autopilot was really cool. I remember setting it in the first Newp I had and then turning the dial to make the car take off like crazy.

The '68's are still beautiful cars.

John

Back