70 Newport Rear springs

I think if i melt the old bushing (have new) it my turn easier. The rubber is stuck to the metal and turns the bracket along with the pin when put a socket wrench to it.

Damn thing just does not want to budge.........if they made replacement pins for the front spring brackets i'd just cut this SOB off.

IMG_6021.jpg

Hold the phone. If your original bolts are 1/2" thread you need 3/4" tools to remove. Mine were all 15/16" tools to remove. That would mean there 5/8" bolt threads. I'd think the 1/2" would be loose... unless they went smaller on fuselage cars.

The bolts in my spring eyes are 4 1/2" x 1/2 so I think so as well.

Hold the phone. If your original bolts are 1/2" thread you need 3/4" tools to remove. Mine were all 15/16" tools to remove. That would mean there 5/8" bolt threads. I'd think the 1/2" would be loose... unless they went smaller on fuselage cars.
Actually they are the same as yours, just double checked....I DID use a 15/16" tool to try and remove....3/4" is was too small. So these are the ones I want....
http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/5845.htm

Didn't you buy new eye bolts with the springs? If not, get on the phone and get new bolts from ESPO with new lock nuts.

Remember me suggesting you buy a nut cracker? Perfect opportunity to use one. Knock the bolt out and you're done.

Take the old rear shackle hangers apart and look inside the hole where the shackle bushings are. You take out the two rubber bushings out and look in there and there is a third smaller bushing that spaces the two outer ones apart. Use that with your new shackle bushings.

It's probably not a big deal if you don't but I think it would be better to use it.

Good luck today! You'll get through this!!

I should add that the third bushing is ONLY on the longer shackle bolt.

Back