An hour in the Trunk

Xlratr

Reaction score
Tidying up my new to me 72 Newport whenever I get a bit of time. Today I worked on getting rid of the surface rust in the trunk. An hour of sanding got me to this point. Not too bad I think for such an old unrestored car from Pennsylvania.

9F303077-84CD-4C3A-AB83-B6CAAB0495F2.jpeg

Just remember to get it metal prepped, primed, and painted BEFORE any more surface rust happens!

There's a YouTube video of a guy taking the CLR cleaner to the outside paint of a '64 Olds 98, using kitchen Scotchbrite as the "scrubbing" function. Surprisingly, the orig paint held up pretty good to it.

When all done, get a carpet trunk mat to replace the orig rubberized one. Hot/cold cycles result in condensate on the bottom of the rubberized mat, which then settles into the ribs in the sheet metal trunk floor. No issues with a non-coated carpet backing, in that respect.

Later, pop the rear window moldings off to check for rust in the window pinchweld, near the lower corners of the glass area.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Just remember to get it metal prepped, primed, and painted BEFORE any more surface rust happens!

There's a YouTube video of a guy taking the CLR cleaner to the outside paint of a '64 Olds 98, using kitchen Scotchbrite as the "scrubbing" function. Surprisingly, the orig paint held up pretty good to it.

When all done, get a carpet trunk mat to replace the orig rubberized one. Hot/cold cycles result in condensate on the bottom of the rubberized mat, which then settles into the ribs in the sheet metal trunk floor. No issues with a non-coated carpet backing, in that respect.

Later, pop the rear window moldings off to check for rust in the window pinchweld, near the lower corners of the glass area.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Thanks for the recommendations. Priming and painting is my job for tomorrow. I'll probably finish it off with some bedliner for the centre section.
I've looked for a replacement mat here in Germany but without success. So I've cut my own out of a piece of carpet. If I'm hearing you right it seems like the better option?

A46260B0-117E-446E-8B88-CC8A752CF5B3.jpeg

So I've cut my own out of a piece of carpet. If I'm hearing you right it seems like the better option?
View attachment 227344

A carpet with a fabric backing, that is not plastic-coated, will not form a vapor barrier between the sheet metal area and its back. It'll "breathe" better, so to speak.

The roll-on bed liner coating would be a good move, too. Can help with sound deadening and panel stiffness, too, I suspect.

CBODY67

Back