Cam Suggestions?

newport

Reaction score
So while my block is at the machine shop, I've been researching cams and got lost lol. Just wondered what suggestions you guys would have for my newport's 383. I don't want a rough idling cam, but a little rumpity wouldn't hurt. Keeping the stock converter, stock heads, and stock bore. Thanks in advance!

I can't reccomend "rumpity" cams anymore. You give up more in the process that detracts from it driveabilty than you get from the aural sensations.
Stock cam, throaty muffler = what you're looking for. Especially on large RWD cars that are stock.
Bupp-a-ta, Bupp-a-ta, Bupp-a-ta, at idle, is a ***** to tune for pleasureable all around street driving. AMHIK.
If you tune it so it doesn't stumble off the line, it will bog when you step on it mid range.
If you tune it so it doesn't bog, it will stumble....

My car is the first car that I haven't tried to be smarter than the enginers as far as the engine performance. This is the first car I can't wait to drive anywhere, anytime.

But, then again, I'm always pissing into the wind as opposed to most others here.

Last edited:
I'm running the MP repro 383/440 magnum grind camshaft.....works and plays quite nicely with others.

Suits my needs for now...not too aggressive, but not sleepy either.

How about that Hugh's Whiplash cam?

I can't tell you what is in my 383 since I bought a rebuilt long-block in 2001 and didn't ask, probably stock grind. In my 273, I installed an "RV/Torker" cam which is a bit more lift than even the HiPo cam (despite the name), though for hydraulic lifters instead of the factory solids. I also used Rhoads leak-down lifters for a better idle and mileage. I think I read that SB and BB use the same lifters, so might be an option. I will look at that if I ever need to change the cam in my 383.

I also used Rhoads leak-down lifters for a better idle and mileage. I think I read that SB and BB use the same lifters, so might be an option. I will look at that if I ever need to change the cam in my 383.

I put a set of bleed-down lifters (Crane) in a 360 and do not like them, noisy and inconsistent.

The smallblock and bigblock lifters are not the same. The smallblock has a taller lifter/tappet.

The factory Hemi grind Mopar cam sounds nice in a 383 and would not have adverse affects with drivability.

Me too..... if my Newport had a Cheby motor in it. :pottytrain5:

Huh? Lets see ... big car, small engine, I assume 3:23's or even 2:94's, stock converter, owner wants smooth idle, vacuum, torque and I'm sure that economy is important too. The Comp 270H is a great choice that I've used many times in big heavy cars with great success. Or he could also do what most people do and throw in a pile of junk Mopar Performance camshaft that works like crap and he is not happy with.

Me too..... if my Newport had a Cheby motor in it. :pottytrain5:

Huh? Lets see ... big car, small engine, I assume 3:23's or even 2:94's, stock converter, owner wants smooth idle, vacuum, torque and I'm sure that economy is important too. The Comp 270H is a great choice that I've used many times in big heavy cars with great success. Or he could also do what most people do and throw in a pile of junk Mopar Performance camshaft that works like crap and he is not happy with.

I believe the comment was meant to highlight that the 270 is for a GM not a Mopar. 262 or 268 would be correct.

I've got the Comp 268 in the 383 in my Newport, and I love it! It has a slight lope to it, but it idles really well and runs strong from down low. Now, I did recently add a mild converter and a set of 3.23's to it, which does indeed work better with the cam, but even with the stock stall, 2.76's, and even 29 inch tall tires (!) it didn't bog or sputter out of the hole. Combined with the weight of the car, that's pretty much a "worst case scenario" for a performance cam, but thus far I can see no downside to the swap. Better bottom end, better top end, and WAAAY more midrange!:icon_thumleft:

I fingerprinted a Comp Cams 268 about 18 months, 2 years ago. Its a Chevy profile on a Mopar blank.

I fingerprinted a Comp Cams 268 about 18 months, 2 years ago. Its a Chevy profile on a Mopar blank.
You could use this as it's almost the same grind as the Road Runner cam, or go with the Hughes 2328 cam which has tons of torque and a slight lope, and is ground to take advantage of the .904 lifters lift. Good Luck

You could use this as it's almost the same grind as the Road Runner cam, or go with the Hughes 2328 cam which has tons of torque and a slight lope, and is ground to take advantage of the .904 lifters lift. Good Luck

It was a couple of years ao that I fingerpringted the cam. I ended up getting one ground to my specs in the UK. The US Cam Companies I contacted sad it could not be done. Heres a dyno sheet of the 446....

Hope you like it!

Back