Convertible Fury - 1970

My stock "T" code 440 came with a black pie tin. The whole air cleaner was black crinkle finish.
In the accompanying article you had mentioned that you added a 71 grill with retractable headlights. I believe you are using the 70 retractable set-up. I have both a 70 and a 71 Fury with each having retractable headlamp covers. The 71 also had a device which was a small brush which would swipe over the low beam headlamp as it was also applying washer fluid. Where the dealer had installed a clock mine came with an oil pressure gage. I wasn't sure about, nor have I ever seen a factory tach. Great article, and I was wondering just how much I was needing to take out of my IRA to get my convertible back to it's glory days from long ago. I had installed a 440-6 pack along with a limited slip, coupled with a rebuilt torqueflite including shift kit and 3500 RPM stall converter. Believe it or not I goy a whopping 5MPG.

In the accompanying article you had mentioned that you added a 71 grill with retractable headlights. I believe you are using the 70 retractable set-up. I have both a 70 and a 71 Fury with each having retractable headlamp covers. The 71 also had a device which was a small brush which would swipe over the low beam headlamp as it was also applying washer fluid. Where the dealer had installed a clock mine came with an oil pressure gage. I wasn't sure about, nor have I ever seen a factory tach. Great article, and I was wondering just how much I was needing to take out of my IRA to get my convertible back to it's glory days from long ago. I had installed a 440-6 pack along with a limited slip, coupled with a rebuilt torqueflite including shift kit and 3500 RPM stall converter. Believe it or not I goy a whopping 5MPG.

I bought both the 70 and 71 hidden headlight grills and eventually decided I liked the 70 one the best. I did however install the 71 headlight mounting buckets so that I could easily install the lamp washer if I ever found one at a good price. Probably never happen though, getting old and lazy!
I had never seen a factory tach until many years later and they are pretty scarce. Coupled of the guys on the FCBO site are converting clock cases to hold a modern tach. The results are outstanding.
As far as your IRA, its purpose is to look after an old "you" not an old "car". In any case, my car start to finish was north of 50 grand US. Mind you I did it over 17 years so the hit averaged around $250/mth, a bit crazy but doable. If you do all the work yourself and only payout for parts, engine machining the cost drops a lot.
I thought about a 440-6 pack but decided I didn't need the headache keeping it tuned. If I make any changes it will be to install EFI.

I am seriously considering selling this car. With a new car in the garage, I just don't have space to work on it. I am going to get something smaller or a hardtop that can be outside. Please PM me if you are interested.

Back