cooling issue? Help please

jake

Reaction score
The hoses going to my heater core are hot as can be and when i turn on the blower, temp goes down, but my hose to the top of my radiator is luke warm at most. I am assuming plugged up radiator. I also assume my water pump is working because it seems to be circulating throught my heater core, any thoughts or ideas before i pull my radiator and flush it? Thanks alot.

Sounds like the thermostat isn't opening. Have you done anything with the thermostat lately. If you haven't you should replace it.

I have not touch the thermostat, but will change it out, hopefully quick fix, thanks guys! TSM calls for 180, any thoughts? i know i am opening up a can of worms with that question!

OEM is 180. Put a 180 back in it. IMHO I would also replace the radiator cap too and NOT with one of those lever pressure relief caps. Make sure you put the thermostat in the right flow direction...there'll be a picture on the Stant box. You'll need a thermostat gasket too.

I'd follow the FSM unless you've made serious mods to the engine that would necessitate a change.

thanks alot guys, im on my way to pick one up right now, ill keep ya informed

0329131420-00.jpgI replace the thermostat and im not pegged to hot anymore. That temperature is with the car sitting in the garage nose first just idling. I assume out on the road it will come down some. Does that look alittle too hot? When i turn the blower motor on it will drop to about the M on the gauge. Would a temp gun aimed at the block give me a good indication of the real temp in degrees?

0329131420-00.jpg

Is the top radiator hose hot and rock hard after the engine warms up? Same with the bottom radiator hose? Does it have a fan clutch? If all that checks out it may be the temp sending unit. why is the temp gauge not mounted?

Last edited:
Sending unit is good, i replaced that and checked it in boiling water with gauge and batteries hooked up to it. 180 degrees is around the end of the E in temp. Hoses are not getting rock hard. when should the fan turn on and off? Should be on when at idle and off with higher rpms correct?

Ok, new thermostat 180 degrees, new radiator cap, heater hoses circulate and gets hot, upper hose stiffens when warm, gauge is accurate, coolant drains well and looks good, still running very hot! I assume the water pump is circulating because of the heater hoses, and when i turn the blower motor on the temp goes down slightly. I have the fluid filled fan so it is spinning constantly. Any ideas? Is my water jackets plug? I dont smell coolant throught the vents. Quite abit of condensation out the tail pipes but it is 38 degrees right now. I dont seem to be losing any coolant and my oil does not seem watery.

It's definitely not the water jackets. I don't think it's the radiator either. I would think either the clutch fan or the water pump at this point. I would think the fan clutch.

Jake, it sounds like you could have a problem with some air trapped in the cooling system. I would start it up and get it hot, shut it off, let it cool completely, take off the radiator cap and fill the radiator. Start it up, do it all over again. You might have to do it 3 or 4 times to get all the air worked out.

Thanks for the help, I have been doing that now a couple of times. I have the fluid filled drive unit on the fan, so i see the fan spinning like mad and the shaft spinning with the pulley. There is no play in the shaft or pulley, so all i can think is the vanes on the pump are gone or sheared off for some reason. I know the thermostat works because the top hose on the radiator gets hot and so does the top of the radiator. I assume that is from the hot water migrating to the highest point. The bottom hose stays cold. I think im going to order a new pump and gasket, 25.00 from rock auto. At least i can eliminate the pump then after i install it. I m going to florida for vacation so i will deal with it when i get back, thanks for working with me here, i really appreiciate it.:icon_sunny::glasses9:

lean carb and mis-adjusted timing can cause warm running too

Let us know how the new pump pans out...this one has me curious.

It dosen't sound like you've driven the car any distance to see if temp drops with air flow.
Is your electric fan aftermarket....? May sound silly but it could be turning the wrong way... Check for air flow with the engine off and fan on.

Back