Flooding carb help needed!

Arno

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My 383 flooded badly earlier today and died while driving. Traced the fault to a sticking needle and seat. Fuel was running out of every orifice of the carb.
Got her running, but the motor has a nasty ticking sound now... what did I break? really hope my motor is ok. She still runs and starts ok, just the noise that has me worried.
The carb is still the standard Carter 2bbl.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like it's coming from under the intake. Almost like the lifters on my little 71 Mitsubishi at startup when she's cold, except, it stays there in the V8

To be honest, I would change the oil and filter. Drive it for 5 or 10 miles or so and change it again with filter.

Ok, changed the oil twice and the noise is still there.
She starts and runs fine, but the noise is bothersome. I listened with a stethoscope and it seems that the noise is coming from inside the timing cover.

I also found the original cause of the flooding, which turned out to be a small piece of, what looked like, crystalline fuel that kept the needle valve open. This made me wonder if the octane booster I used recently may have caused this grit.

Add a can of STP. Report back.

I HAVE to ask though because I do this. A lot.
Perhaps the noise was already there and the incident made you paranoid of literally any sound coming from the engine.
Ask any Service Adviser. Customer has a new exhaust system installed. Now the brakes squeal. Adviser tries to tell customer the two are unrelated. Customer ain't buying it.

Pour some seafoam motor treatment in the crank case oil. If you have a sticky lifter, or valve that will quiet down. It uses 1 1/2 ounce per quart of engine oil. Seafoam is awesome stuff!!

Hi Commando, I also thought maybe it was a bit of paranoia, but the motor was completely quiet before the incident.
We don't get Seafoam here, or STP either for that matter anymore. I did add a bottle of Wynns Charge to the oil, and let her idle. Sound is definitely coming from the front of the motor.
Had the valve covers off, thinking it may be a lifter or pushrod. Also finally removed the mechanical fuel pump, as I'm using an electric pump. Also removed the fuel pump pushrod. The noise is still there.
Anyone willing to supply an email address, then I can send a video clip I took, and you can clearly hear the noise.

could flooding the carb out get gas into the oil ??
where? at the valley pan? im not sure if im drinkin your sake kemosabe.

Man....... There's gotta be somebody that can mail you a can. Its awesome stuff. It might be the timing chain saying its time to change it.

Hi Commando, I also thought maybe it was a bit of paranoia, but the motor was completely quiet before the incident.
We don't get Seafoam here, or STP either for that matter anymore. I did add a bottle of Wynns Charge to the oil, and let her idle. Sound is definitely coming from the front of the motor.
Had the valve covers off, thinking it may be a lifter or pushrod. Also finally removed the mechanical fuel pump, as I'm using an electric pump. Also removed the fuel pump pushrod. The noise is still there.
Anyone willing to supply an email address, then I can send a video clip I took, and you can clearly hear the noise.

It depends how long the carb flooded and in what way. If the oil is diluted by gas it's thinner and won't provide proper lubrication, or protection. It can also make the crank case very volatile.

could flooding the carb out get gas into the oil ??
where? at the valley pan? im not sure if im drinkin your sake kemosabe.

Might well be the chain, as I think it's the original.
First time I'll be changing a chain on a car, so I'm a bit worried. Looks like a bit job, with lots of bolts that may decide to break, or am I getting ahead of myself here.

Changed the oil and filter twice yesterday to be safe, and added Wynns Charge to the last oil. Flooded oil was slightly diluted, but not overly so. Guessing about 500ml of gas in the oil.
She did smoke badly when she fired up after the flood, but that quickly went away, and not a puff if smoke since.

Back