Frankenstein-Cucamonga

The 71 was an afterthought, a holdover until they could get the 2s out, that is the compromise.

For over 35 years I planned on making a 71 convertible from a 70. Once I realized the scarcity of the beast I just couldn't do it. I had everything too, including body side moldings, mirrors, interior, dash, bumpers, tail lights grille. Everything is reversible but at what extent does one go to to undo a travesty?

A Brougham, one of 2024 ....:elmer:

Wonder if anyone created a 69 or 71 Chrysler 300 Hurst, there's plenty around of them. :D

I,m wondering if there is a 300 hurst 4-speed?
Never seen one and wonder why no one ever did that........

Frankenstein isn't just only one of 2024 Broughams but it is one of only a few with a factory T-code 440.

He is alive and kicking well and has been to a few car shows already this spring

001.JPG
017.JPG
072.JPG

and ashamed as SHE has lost HER identity

I am sure you will make me aware once you've had enough of these shenanigans and ready to cut her loose.

I still have nightmares over the difficulty of making those conversions for you and all the guilt that I am now saddled with for the rest of my life. I thought you were at least going to put some paint on the roof! It badly needs a paint job! I would restore to its proper identity, make it perfect and drive it sparingly!! :D

When you display it at shows in Germany, what is the most frequent comment you receive when it is among all the nice looking cars in view of its appearance? What message are you trying to convey with your maverick car? I am still struggling with your goal after all these years! :wideyed:

I still have nightmares over the difficulty of making those conversions for you and all the guilt that I am now saddled with for the rest of my life.
If this is your only guilt the lord won't be mad with you:)

I thought you were at least going to put some paint on the roof! It badly needs a paint job! I would restore to its proper identity, make it perfect and drive it sparingly!! :D
I have to see you driving any old (pre 74) Mopar before I believe the last part of your sentence:D

When you display it at shows in Germany, what is the most frequent comment you receive when it is among all the nice looking cars in view of its appearance? What message are you trying to convey with your maverick car? I am still struggling with your goal after all these years! :wideyed:

I have no message to convey despite to show the great design of a fuselage C-body.
What has been done was due to my preferences and not to please third parties or to "show off".

The reactions at car shows differ a lot.
On some shows people really like its look/cosmetically and want to run one's hand over it. Keep in mind you don't see sunburnt cars in middle Europe as the sun isn't that harsh to cars.

Sometimes when I drive it to a "custom car show" they look weird because all the Hot Rodders and customizers don't get it.:D

Truth is: 99% of the people don't have the detailed knowledge to see the difference

But I like the view out of my kitchenwindow

Carsten

I have been to 13 car shows this spring yet and visited two with the Polara

Since this got brought back to life and I don't remember seeing this thread, sweet car Carsten! I don't have any issues with the mods, as they can be corrected easily, it's your car, do with it what you want. Do the numbers really matter in the end? Glad I don't have anything that special, I don't have to worry about history.

That said, I understand Dave's viewpoint of keeping it the way it was. Granted Steve was the caretaker, it wasn't going to some punk, but what if a punk had bought it before Steve could have, and beat the hell out of it and we might have never seen the car or know about it. At least we know where it is, and what's going on with it. And if Carsten wants to sell, he knows of at least two interested parties right here.

I've often heard "You should paint it" at shows with my Polara, and I used to agree, but the car wouldn't be the same, it would lose it's identity. I think that's where Carsten is coming from, this is how he knows this car, and how he wants to keep knowing it. Painting it might be like having your flat chested blonde haired wife come home one day a red head and wearing 38DD's, it may be fun, but it's not the same.
Patina is one thing, this is beyond patina when the paint is gone

Last edited:
Back