Front End Rebuild for The Red Menace

JM_ART

Reaction score
Hi folks! While chasing down wiring issues I’m planning the front end rebuild on our ‘68 New Yorker. I’m putting together a list of parts at this point. Does any supplier offer a complete kit? I know PST offers a kit, but there are parts that have to be sourced afterward. Who offers the best, most complete kit? Am I better off making a parts list and sourcing all Moog parts on my own?

Second, since I’ve never tried tackling rebuilding the front suspension on... anything, this seems like a big job. Is it something I can really do myself, or should I have it done at my local garage (who would also be doing an alignment in either case)? If I were to do it myself, are there any special tools involved that I should get beforehand? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

JM_ART,
I have absolutely everything... In all Quality Parts .... Including all the parts that don't exist through regular channels... And no national back orders.... Such that you can't do the job...... 100 % Everything in stock....
Always best to simply call me --- Craig ---
516 - 485 - 1935 .... New York.....
I can only help you with parts, not the tools required.
Yours, Craig.......

JM_ART,
I have absolutely everything... In all Quality Parts .... Including all the parts that don't exist through regular channels... And no national back orders.... Such that you can't do the job...... 100 % Everything in stock....
Always best to simply call me --- Craig ---
516 - 485 - 1935 .... New York.....
I can only help you with parts, not the tools required.
Yours, Craig.......
Thanks Craig. Your reputation precedes you, so I know you’d do me right when the time comes. I need to go through the original owner’s maintenance log to see when any of those parts were last replaced. Judging by the look of the bushings, it’s been quite a while. And I don’t think the second owner ever really did anything but drive her, so hard to tell. I’m thinking of just replacing almost everything to have a “baseline” so I know what I’m dealing with.

If you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to handle the front end rebuild yourself. Be advised that it is a big and dirty job. Tools needed: Quality jack stands and jack, Sturdy wood blocks for the frame rails "just in case", 1/2 drive socket set, Brass drift, big hammer, ball joint seperater and drag link separeter, sturdy set of end wrenches. You will also need to make or borrow a torsion bar removal tool. There are several posts on this site about how to make this tool. It is very important not to scratch or ding the torsion bars during removal or they will fail later.

Read the Section the the FSM about how to disassemble/assemble the front suspension. Upper and lower control arm bushings are pressed in, I suggest using an automotive machine shop for that part of the job.

Do not use Chicom made Parts.

Dave

If you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to handle the front end rebuild yourself. Be advised that it is a big and dirty job. Tools needed: Quality jack stands and jack, Sturdy wood blocks for the frame rails "just in case", 1/2 drive socket set, Brass drift, big hammer, ball joint seperater and drag link separeter, sturdy set of end wrenches. You will also need to make or borrow a torsion bar removal tool. There are several posts on this site about how to make this tool. It is very important not to scratch or ding the torsion bars during removal or they will fail later.

Read the Section the the FSM about how to disassemble/assemble the front suspension. Upper and lower control arm bushings are pressed in, I suggest using an automotive machine shop for that part of the job.

Do not use Chicom made Parts.

Dave
I don’t mind dirt. A good floor jack and three ton jack stands are at the ready. Block of wood I can get. I’ve got a set of 1/2 inch sockets (I’d have to buy some impact sockets) too, as well as a decent set of box end wrenches. The ball joint and drag link separator I’d have to borrow from a friend, and he’s already offered it. Don’t know about that torsion bar tool. I’ll have to think on that and read about it. And I have the FSM, so... “what can go wrong?” Hahahaha..... Yeah, those upper and lower bushings are definitely getting pushed out and pressed in at a shop. And the parts are all going to be quality, no chinesium. I’ll have to study this a bit more. Thanks for the word re: what tools I’ll need. Spoken like someone who’s definitely “been there.”

I don’t mind dirt. A good floor jack and three ton jack stands are at the ready. Block of wood I can get. I’ve got a set of 1/2 inch sockets (I’d have to buy some impact sockets) too, as well as a decent set of box end wrenches. The ball joint and drag link separator I’d have to borrow from a friend, and he’s already offered it. Don’t know about that torsion bar tool. I’ll have to think on that and read about it. And I have the FSM, so... “what can go wrong?” Hahahaha..... Yeah, those upper and lower bushings are definitely getting pushed out and pressed in at a shop. And the parts are all going to be quality, no chinesium. I’ll have to study this a bit more. Thanks for the word re: what tools I’ll need. Spoken like someone who’s definitely “been there.”

Most front end components will be a lot happier if you use hand tools not impacts. Soak them with PB Blaster on the various mounting bolts and use a ratchet to remove the nuts. The pivot shaft on the lower control arms have self locking nuts after about '68 and they do not play well with impact tools. If you scribe the upper control arm eccentrics, you can put things back in the same position and the car won't be quite as badly out of alignment for your drive to the alignment shop. Count the number of threads exposed on tie rod ends that are exposed and install the new units with the same number.

Dave

If you scribe the upper control arm eccentrics, you can put things back in the same position and the car won't be quite as badly out of alignment for your drive to the alignment shop. Count the number of threads exposed on tie rod ends that are exposed and install the new units with the same number. Dave

^^^^^^^YES, YES, YES^^^^^^^^^
As a no nothing 20 or 21 year old my first 68 NYer need the front end rebuilt. I borrowed the ball joint socket, and a few other tools and used my basic Craftsman tool set and went to work outside of a friends shop. No air tools all grunt. When I took the car back to be aligned the tech came out with a curious look and asked who rebuilt the front end. He said it needed minimal adjustment.

Back