Fuselage Imperial wagon

BLIMP

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Imperials and wagons. Has anyone else here thought of combining them and making the ultimate behemoth? The 72/73 Imperial front end on a 72/73 T&C wagon would be a sight to see. Someone here must have done so in the past, how did it go? Would enjoy seeing some pictures and hear how it went.
Screenshot_20181201-102421.jpg
wheelswhatcropped.jpg

The Fuselage Imperial has a 127" wheelbase, which, I understand, the additional wheelbase length is all in the front frame area. That could entail an Imperial-donor situation from the cowl forward. Wagons are all 122" wheelbase, Chrysler cars/sedans were 124" (or 123.5", depending on where it was stated).

As the side trim would be different between a C and Y, which one would you use?

The formal Imperial wagons would be easy to do as they were all on the same wheelbase back then. Same car, different trim.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

It's more than a simple bolt on conversion because the Imperial sub frame bolts solid to the car using the 1965 to 1970 mounting points. The 1972-73 wagons won't have any of the proper mounting points because they use the rubber isolated sub frame. The 1969 convertible is an easy conversion because all you need to do is add the extension brackets for the forward sub frame mounting bolts.

69 chrysler floor 3.jpg

69 chrysler floor 2.jpg

71 imperial floor.jpg

Last edited:
I've contacted him a few times to check in, As far as I know it's in the same state as the post.

i did this 78 new yorker nosed formal one a couple of years ago, i think its in atlanta now

20151022_162654-1.jpg

20151016_152251-1.jpg

20151105_134456.jpg

20151105_134548.jpg

Last edited:
This is the area that trips up every Imperial conversion of a Formal T&C that I have seen.
If I was doing the conversion, I'd sooner remove all the trim.

Screenshot_2018-12-31-00-59-00.jpg

i was quite happy with it actually, a friend was working on creating a more "arrow head"- like end piece that looked great - it was fairly subtle and matched the upper fender line.
but i sold the car and my friend passed away not too long after i sold it.
the guy i sold it to was undecided about putting woodgrain on.

This is the area that trips up every Imperial conversion of a Formal T&C that I have seen.
If I was doing the conversion, I'd sooner remove all the trim.

View attachment 241094
The two I posted figured this issue out it appears. Probably had to cut an original piece to fit. Not sure how it looks in person but in the pictures it look good.

The two I posted figured this issue out it appears. Probably had to cut an original piece to fit. Not sure how it looks in person but in the pictures it look good.
I've seen better photos of these two in the past and the pieces appeared hacked. Just cut up pieces butted up to each other.

I'm a fan of Imperials and wagons. Has anyone else here thought of combining them and making the ultimate behemoth? The 72/73 Imperial front end on a 72/73 T&C wagon would be a sight to see. Someone here must have done so in the past, how did it go? Would enjoy seeing some pictures and hear how it went.View attachment 241005 View attachment 241007
This looks like my 73 with sun roof I sold to Ross down in Columbus about 8 years ago. Looks like it was taken in Florida. Russ sold it to member here and its now in Israel! this one might be a different one, mine had wide whites and this one has black walls, I color corrinated the wheels!

S1100006 (2).JPG

Hey Glenn, how ya been? I'd also bet it's your old Imperial, a small portion of the sunroof is slightly discernable. Not sure how you were able to part with that coupe, it's a gem!

This looks like my 73 with sun roof I sold to Ross down in Columbus about 8 years ago. Looks like it was taken in Florida. Russ sold it to member here and its now in Israel! this one might be a different one, mine had wide whites and this one has black walls, I color corrinated the wheels!

View attachment 241252

This one is plain gorgeous!

Yes I have pangs of remorse for selling them but have to thin out the collection, too many to keep up! Also sold my 72 Town and Country last year and replaced it with my new 94 Road Master with the Vet LT1 engine. It gets about 23MPG when not pulling my camper, the Chrysler got about 7 MPG with or with out pulling the camper! Also sold my 79 300 Ttops, 95 LHS and 02 300 Special. New everyday car is 08 Sebring hardtop convertible, Hope to do some sight seeing with these two new members to my collection!!

DSCN2611 (2).JPG

DSCN0588.JPG

DSCN0334.JPG

DSCN2730 (2).JPG

DSCN2727 (2).JPG

DSCN2733 (2).JPG

Back