Fusie Factory Dual Exhaust Question /// Help!!!!!

DeMopuar

Reaction score
Just want to ask the question to those that know a LOT more than me about these cars. Are there any fusie bodies that had factory dual exhaust? I would really like to know the answer to that one -- but I would guess .....NO....

If anyone does know of factory dual exhaust, let me know the model -- I would love to see how the factory did it.

Mark

Sure.... it was available. ...my 440 1971 polara brougham came with duals.

My 1970 polara convertible 383- 4 came with duals.

Every 1970 polara convertible that I've seen with a factory 440 came with dual exhaust.

I think it was standard on the 383/4bbl and 440,s on Plymouth fury,s /dodge polara/Monaco,s/Chrysler TNT.
Not sure about VIP fury,s and imperials......

I think it was standard on the 383/4bbl and 440,s on Plymouth fury,s /dodge polara/Monaco,s/Chrysler TNT.
Not sure about VIP fury,s and imperials......

Thats what I had presumed over my 35 years of investigating C bodies but people have disputed me on this site about that . Rather than go through :BangHead: I let it go...

That's a really broad question that covers numerous applications and can change from year to year. Typically, the exhaust follows the engine; not necessarily the model but there are some exceptions. What happened on a 69 Chrysler could be different than a later Dodge or Plymouth. What specific application are you interested in?

69_Chrysler_exhaust.jpg

Thats what I had presumed over my 35 years of investigating C bodies but people have disputed me on this site about that . Rather than go through :BangHead: I let it go...

Still a C body newbie but, unless the underside was different between models, why would an exhaust system care what badges were on the top? Wouldn't a Fury I 440 TNT cop car be the same undercarriage as a 440 TNT VIP?

Still a C body newbie but, unless the underside was different between models, why would an exhaust system care what badges were on the top? Wouldn't a Fury I 440 TNT cop car be the same undercarriage as a 440 TNT VIP?
Probably not so much to do with routing of the pipe as it did with the type of exhaust manifolds used per application.

The reason I ask is because the two C bodies that I have (1973 Imperial & 1973 Newport, both coupes) do not have dual exhaust. The Newport has a 400 while the Imperial has a 440, and the exhaust setup looks identical. I was just wondering if this carried through with all of the other C bodies, or if there was such a thing as dual factory exhaust? If there is a dual exhaust as you say, I bet the fuel tank is different for sure. On both of my cars, the fuel tank goes almost all the way to the frame rails on the driver's side, while the passenger's side has a space for the muffler and pipe to fit. I can see where Chrysler made all C bodies the same with the stub frame cutouts for dual exhaust -- so I can see that.

65MonacoND, yes, that would be interesting to see what you have going on underneath, especially by the fuel tank area on either side.

My 69 Polara does but it is a Police Package.

Standard tank, pipes are under the frame rail.

Alan

The reason I ask is because the two C bodies that I have (1973 Imperial & 1973 Newport, both coupes) do not have dual exhaust. The Newport has a 400 while the Imperial has a 440, and the exhaust setup looks identical. I was just wondering if this carried through with all of the other C bodies, or if there was such a thing as dual factory exhaust? If there is a dual exhaust as you say, I bet the fuel tank is different for sure. On both of my cars, the fuel tank goes almost all the way to the frame rails on the driver's side, while the passenger's side has a space for the muffler and pipe to fit. I can see where Chrysler made all C bodies the same with the stub frame cutouts for dual exhaust -- so I can see that.

I'm not aware of a 73 Chrysler dual exhaust application. Dodge and Plymouth C bodies would be single also.

73_Chrysler_engines_Exhaust_800.jpg

My 69 Sport Fury 440 Super Commando has factory duals. You can actually still get reproduction dual systems for most of the C-Bodies. Mine is one of the exceptions. I haven't been able to find the correct exhaust pipes. Most C-Bodies had a two pipe 2 1/4" exhaust pipe. The 440 Super Commando, and I would assume Magnum in Dodge and TNT in Chrysler had a one piece 2 1/2" exhaust pipe. Police cars would have been the same. They were running un-badged Super Commandos and Magnums.

If anyone knows someone who is bending "correct" reproduction exhaust for my car, please let me know. Another interesting thing about the C-body duals is they were true duals, all the way back. No cross over as the B-bodies had. Unfortunately my 69 Sport Fury exhaust was unique to the 69 fury with the 440 super commando ONLY. Not much incentive for the aftermarket OEM exhaust mfg's to start bending them and they would need a pattern to start with anyway.

My -69 Newport 383/4 has dual exhaust also. Even with chrome ends.

65MonacoND, yes, that would be interesting to see what you have going on underneath, especially by the fuel tank area on either side.

General rule of thumb, on the factory dual exhaust cars the exhaust manifolds would have the up swept factory cast iron headers similar to B and E body cars with the high performance engines, there are different casting numbers for different years. The left side manifolds are specifically cast to fit C body's and have a different flange placement and angle, the right side is the same part as the B and E body HP manifolds. You can still find companies like Classic Exhaust, Waldron Exhaust and Accurate Exhaust that have the old bending cards to bend the pipes pretty close to the originals.

Left C Body Manifold.jpg AS APPOSED TO LP Left Exhaust Manifold.JPG

The 5th digit in the VIN determined what exhaust you had on your car, the under carriage is the same for single or dual exhaust cars (gas tanks, cross members etc...) the only thing that is different is the addition of exhaust hangers on the left side of the car.

Factory Dual Exhaust Diagram.jpg

LP Left Exhaust Manifold.JPG

Left C Body Manifold.jpg

Factory Dual Exhaust Diagram.jpg

Last edited:
I used accurate exhaust. They did a great job on keeping with the factory bends when I compared it to my original exhaust I removed. Unfortunately the original pipes were pretty rusted, but complete enough I could compare the bends.

One word of caution about Accurate.
When I ordered duals for my 66 Fury BB, the exhaust pipes were exact two inches too long, the exact same difference in the wheelbases between the shorter Fury and the longer Dodge and Chrysler.

I would still use them again over TTI though.

The 5th digit in the VIN determined what exhaust you had on your car....

Good post....

If I may....the original question was far too broad to be answered with specific applications. Using the VIN is one way to determine which exhaust the car received but the actual applications can and do change year to year and, in certain applications, by body type.

A CH46K9C ('69 T&C wagon) is different than CH23K9C ('69 New Yorker).
Isn't a DL**T0 ('70 Polara with 440 ) different than a DL**T3 ('73 Polara with 440)?

Back