Headers for 71 Newport

Big Jay

Reaction score
Hey C-bodiers! Anyone know a set of headers that will work with my '71 Newport w/angle plug heads? It is a 496 Stroker and isn't breathing well.It has stock exhaust manifolds. Would HP manifolds be as good as headers? Does anyone have anything for sale?

Last edited:
It's puzzling. I bought the car with this monster motor, race trans, and 4:10s. Stock manifolds, 2.5inch exhaust through generic muffler shop mufflers and Honda Civic boy racer tips. I'm not trying to be Don Garlits, but I would like this thing to breathe a little.

So you think it it is slow to your buttometer? I will watch this thread closely not because I think your perceptions are wrong but because there could be so many variables that are working against each other in your build that you have bought. Not just the exhaust manifolds. I guess I have to ask what are you expecting and what are you getting specifically? I can't imagine anything with 4:10's not doing anything even with a 318 for a few feet. I am sure it can be remedied with the help of the guys here.

First, go and dyno tune it. So you get baseline and see if its tuned correctly.

The car is fast(relatively speaking). I know it's not tuned right. It has an edelbrock 800 cfm carburetor. I haven't played with metering rods or anything like that yet. A guy who has a very fast Satellite, who's engine was built by the same shop, insists I need more carb and less restrictive exhaust.

What kind of heads?
Can't see how that many cubes couldn't be suffocated by log manifolds, unless the heads were the choke point.

Lets say heads breath enough and intake also. My estimate is that those logs lose like 60-90hp and 40-70 torque.
800cfm not enough, it depends of heads, intake, cam... etc.

IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG

I thought you would have had to use center dump manifolds.

How the hell are the wires on angled plug heads not smashed against the manifold on 5&7/6&8?

Back