Hellcat on the Autobahn

Does anyone else see something funny here? A bunch of guys in Germany obviously take great pride in owning old American iron. Gas ain’t cheap there and the cost of repair and maintenance as well getting them to pass certifications has to be high. Put all together and these guys are spending big dough so they can enjoy cars that Europeans used to look down on. Meanwhile, there are countless people here who truly believe they have to have a BMW or a Mercedes to show how successful they are, and writers in auto magazines gush about Porsches being great driver’s cars (I’m sure they are). Just kind of makes me smile.

Last edited:
They are now of course in General considered to be a Hobby or collectors cars, back in the day as daily Drivers they were completely impractical for German road, City, or village conditions and financially over almost everyone's head financially as a DD.

About the time the smaller ones were reviewed as suitable for European traffic in dimensions, Brakes, Extended high Speed cooling etc. came the time they were castrated powerwise by US legislation. For example the early second gen. Camaro got some good Reviews in test mags. The Full Size cars in General had good Reviews concerning their effertloss driving, but gas Prices,brakes, a tax that is calculated by CID and the big dimensions were strong turnoffs.

The majority over here still prefers owning a new Bimmer or whatever over an American car while they are about even dimensionally and technically, the low number of dealerships and repair Shops for American cars still Plays a role over here I guess.

Last edited:
I think it would be very interesting to have one of our old big block cars mated up to these new fangled 6 to 8 speed auto trannys and see how much better they perform. You could keep the engine in it's sweet spot all the time and I would think have a higher number rear end ratio .

Last edited:
I spent 2 years in Germany living near the A8 between Stuttgart and Munich back in 90-91. My impression of the Autobahn at that time was it is a scary, dangerous proposition. Yes, there are some long stretches where you can really get up there if you have the balls. But you also have to be extremely careful, because 99.9% of all the other traffic is basically slow movers at that point. I don't know about anybody else, by my driving problems always involved issues with other drivers.

I think the stretches like I-80 here in Montana, despite being actually legally limited in most areas, is far safer for speed running, simply due to the much much lower traffic volume.

Depends on time, place and day. Where I live far apart from larger urban centers there are some Stretches with lesser traffic but you can go at about 110 mph without too much danger IMHO, 150 and up could become stressful.
Soccer world Championship Dates at times when the Germans are playing generally have a very low traffic volume. I used to take Advantage of this fact when I was younger. :D

Well the A(utobahn) 8 near Munich is one of the busiest roads we have. Driving at 120mph or more is not very fun (most of the time impossible die to traffic) because of all those slow moving drivers around you. But we also have some Autobahnen that are not that busy and you can push the pedal to the metal almost 24/7.
But for real, you do it, experience the speed at 150mph or more and never do it again. There's no one who goes 150mph every day just because traffic permits. It's exhausting, gas mileage is horrible at 6$per gallon, it's dangerous so yeah, when I'm on the autobahn and there's no traffic, I still just go at 110mph or so because that's a nice traveling speed to me.

Well the A(utobahn) 8 near Munich is one of the busiest roads we have. Driving at 120mph or more is not very fun (most of the time impossible die to traffic) because of all those slow moving drivers around you. But we also have some Autobahnen that are not that busy and you can push the pedal to the metal almost 24/7.
But for real, you do it, experience the speed at 150mph or more and never do it again. There's no one who goes 150mph every day just because traffic permits. It's exhausting, gas mileage is horrible at 6$per gallon, it's dangerous so yeah, when I'm on the autobahn and there's no traffic, I still just go at 110mph or so because that's a nice traveling speed to me.

I was stationed in Germany during the mid 1970's, all of the 1980's, and the early 1990's. Rarely was I driving over 120 mph. I was stationed in Augsburg from 1984 to 1992 except when I was in the Gulf War 1990-1991. Traffic or weather was a constant problem.

I was stationed in Germany during the mid 1970's, all of the 1980's, and the early 1990's. Rarely was I driving over 120 mph. I was stationed in Augsburg from 1984 to 1992 except when I was in the Gulf War 1990-1991. Traffic or weather was a constant problem.

To be fair, cars changed a lot in the last 2 decades. There are so many electronic assistance systems now working in the background without us recognizing that it changed our driving habits competely. When I push my 68 Poncho beyond 80mph I'm 100% focused. My eyes constantly search for potential threats meaning other stupid drivers or potholes / bumps on the road, my ears focus wether the engine makes noises that don't belong there, even my nose is working to check if burning odour from the engine bay is coming through the heater:D
Maybe I'm a little paranoid also :D
In my 2016 VW it is so quiet that I don't even recognize how fast I'm going, I set the cruise control to whatever speed I think is adequate and after 30 minutes of constantly driving at that speed I've a hard time staying awake because I'm literally doing nothing but staring outside the window. When I was in my rental truck on I-45 from Houston to Dallas last year I found it horrifying that about 90% of the drivers around me were staring at their phones. But to be fair, driving at 70mph with cruise control on a wide, empty straight road for hours is so boring that I caught myself looking at my phone / playing with the cars infotainment system or staring at the landscape.
That's why I'm glad that we don't have a speedlimit on certain parts of the Autobahn. Driving fast keeps you kinda busy and therefore focused.

To be fair, cars changed a lot in the last 2 decades. There are so many electronic assistance systems now working in the background without us recognizing that it changed our driving habits competely. When I push my 68 Poncho beyond 80mph I'm 100% focused. My eyes constantly search for potential threats meaning other stupid drivers or potholes / bumps on the road, my ears focus wether the engine makes noises that don't belong there, even my nose is working to check if burning odour from the engine bay is coming through the heater:D
Maybe I'm a little paranoid also :D
In my 2016 VW it is so quiet that I don't even recognize how fast I'm going, I set the cruise control to whatever speed I think is adequate and after 30 minutes of constantly driving at that speed I've a hard time staying awake because I'm literally doing nothing but staring outside the window. When I was in my rental truck on I-45 from Houston to Dallas last year I found it horrifying that about 90% of the drivers around me were staring at their phones. But to be fair, driving at 70mph with cruise control on a wide, empty straight road for hours is so boring that I caught myself looking at my phone / playing with the cars infotainment system or staring at the landscape.
That's why I'm glad that we don't have a speedlimit on certain parts of the Autobahn. Driving fast keeps you kinda busy and therefore focused.

My wife just bought a VW Tiguan. 180HP turbocharged engine. Like you said, you go faster than you realize. Of course, six months in it had to return to the dealer for a software update.

After I drive the Fury, if I have to hop in the Tiguan, I slam the brakes like a new driver and oversteer. I’m used to the Fury’s manual brakes and looser steering. The Fury is more fun.

Of course, six months in it had to return to the dealer for a software update.

The Fury is more fun.

I'm not trying to advertise German car brands, they've been betraying in the last years and the thing that grinds my gears is that they don't get published over here at all. They say,, oh no if we have to pay a billion dollar penalty we have to fire 5.000 people " so our government doesn't do anything at all.

Of course is cars are more fun, that's why we drive them don't we? They look better, sound better and have a character.

I'm not trying to advertise German car brands, they've been betraying in the last years and the thing that grinds my gears is that they don't get published over here at all. They say,, oh no if we have to pay a billion dollar penalty we have to fire 5.000 people " so our government doesn't do anything at all.

Of course is cars are more fun, that's why we drive them don't we? They look better, sound better and have a character.

What surprised me is that her VW was built in Puebla, Mexico. I guess they saved big on labor and shipping. Car was still in the $40k range.

VW is producing in Mexico for decades. The Bug was produced over there until 2003.
Car brands nowadays in fact don't produce anything on their own. They buy all the parts and assemble it and sell them as made in Germany / produced with pride in USA.

You could keep the engine in it's sweet spot all the time

EXAMPLE NOW: LOOK MA NO HANDS!

I tried to look up technical information about this new computer controlled automatic as it was touted in the press years ago, all I got was new fangle'd techno babble, I guess the paddle shifter's are 'Tap' shifting now, also a bunch of lame *** YouTubers trying to explain the transmission. I wanted find out if it had the infamous 'Auto-Blip', seems to me it does.
Also now the 2020 year is up to 10 speeds (same as the Mustang).

The way it was (!987) or so. The famous RUF Yellowbird.
There are many versions and edits of this video and I remember a pre-YouTube days version that had more helicopter shots of the tire smoking shots, but we'll have to go with this version. You could say this guy started all the drifting stupidness.

This sounds utterly badass

Yah that's all about what this one is a lot of noise. I'll call fake on this one, notice the aftermarket speedometer, is it calibrated? Is it 'Certified'?
Notice the short time between shifts and the scenery moving oh so slow...
More like someone tossed in a aftermarket mph speedo an a kilo car and didn't change the trans gear. <yawn>

Back