Just bought a 68 Polara 500 Convertible.

MoparOrNoCar

Reaction score
Howdy y'all. My cousin and I just bought this car and have a couple questions about some of the options:

IMG_0639.jpg

I did the fender tag decoder and came up with this:

CAR: Dodge Polara 2 Door Convertible
ENGINE: 383cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: Unknown tire code
BUILD DATE: September 27.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: , Vinyl Bucket Seats. Light Blue Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Light Blue Metallic Paint.
OTHER: White Horizontal Accent Stripe.

MOLDINGS:
14: Sill Mouldings
30: Body Belt Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
P6: Rear Seat Speaker
R1: AM Radio
X2: Tinted Windshield Only
Y2: White Convertible Top

abc OPTIONS:
b4: Bucket Seats
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
w7: Build to Spec's for Export
y4: Unknown Option

My question is about the y4 Unknown option and the white stripe. What white stripe came on a 68 Polara? Our car has had a respray at some point we are sure so the stripe is long gone.

Is it like just a pin stripe or something?

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

Welcome to the site from the Motor City!
stripe on these cars is a horizontal pin stripe that starts at the top of the fenders and goes all the way to the back.
the y4 is one of 3 things,
- domestic owners publication-owners manual
- kilometer speedometer
- show car finish A
since it's an export car I'm assuming it's the speedometer.
very kool car!

IMG_0866[1].jpg

I don't think it's a kilometer dash. I'm also confused as to where it was exported to? The car has been in Arkansas for the past twenty years or so. There is a sticker still on the windshield for a VFW in Wisconsin or somewhere way up north (I'll take pic of it and post it later). So this thing was possibly exported to Canada? That just seems odd to me since Canada had lots of Polara's up there any way, maybe? Or I could be totally wrong about that.

I suppose its possible for a serviceman or service woman could have had this car exported to a military base overseas maybe? And then brought her back after? I dunno. Just spit-balling ideas.

Thanks for the input- we really appreciate it.

IMG_0866[1].jpg

Tag option codes are stamped from 'the bottom up'. Your w/7 and y/4 code is stamped from the top down. It is not an option code, it's an inspection punch typical of the Belvedere plant. Here's an example of the same inspection punch in a different location on the top row.

The Sales Order number 052810, would likely give us an indication of any type of special order build or sold out of US.
The SO is typical of a US sold car.
If it was built for sale in Canada, it would likely start with an A or, possibly, some other designated use SO number. I do not know what export cars used for the SO number in 68.

Tire code 63= 8.55x14 white walls

68_Inspection_800.jpg

Nice catch Doug, I didn't even look that closely at it just went by what was typed in the post.

Tag option codes are stamped from 'the bottom up'. Your w/7 and y/4 code is stamped from the top down. It is not an option code, it's an inspection punch typical of the Belvedere plant. Here's an example of the same inspection punch in a different location on the top row.

The Sales Order number 052810, would likely give us an indication of any type of special order build or sold out of US.
The SO is typical of a US sold car.
If it was built for sale in Canada, it would likely start with an A or, possibly, some other designated use SO number. I do not know what export cars used for the SO number in 68.

Tire code 63= 8.55x14 white walls

That makes much more sense: This big girl was made at the Belvedere plant. Thanks so much for the information!

WOW, The things I learn on this site are INCREDIBLE !!!

Back