mini starters

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I read somewhere that a starter from a late model Dodge 318 truck would work on a big block .. Can anyone comfirm this ......?

Jazebelles starter is acting up so I'll thinking about installing a mini starter

I used a mini for a 92 Dakota on the 300. It spins that 413 over like there's no compression. Most likely you just have to remove the terminal extensions. There are two different terminal styles.

yup put a 96 ram starter from a 318 on my d100 440 i had to take the plastic extensions off.

When they first came out in '88 we called 'um LUNCH BOX STARTERZ. picked up 3 at the first swap meet I went to that year and used 'um all with nary ah complaint. The 440 in the Hurst, /6 in the A-100, and of course the Batwagon 440 got the 3rd one.

I used a mini for a 92 Dakota on the 300. It spins that 413 over like there's no compression. Most likely you just have to remove the terminal extensions. There are two different terminal styles.

Im finding that the new starter that I put in less than a year ago is acting up already. So you guys are saying I can put a 92 Dakota 318 starter on my 440 and it will bolt up with no clocking involved? You say you have to remove the terminal extension? Are you saying to remove the cover on the lower left had side,..the plastic cap there and mount the wires at that point? Here is a picture of the 92 5.2 starter.

image.jpg

Im finding that the new starter that I put in less than a year ago is acting up already. So you guys are saying I can put a 92 Dakota 318 starter on my 440 and it will bolt up with no clocking involved? You say you have to remove the terminal extension? Are you saying to remove the cover on the lower left had side,..the plastic cap there and mount the wires at that point? Here is a picture of the 92 5.2 starter.
Yes....got one on my 383. You have to adjust/remove the term extension as it impacts the side of the block.

NO. That cover has to fit into a machined blind hole it the bell housing to support that end of the shaft and keep it lined up on the ring gear. Your picture shows that the terminal extention has been removed so you should be good to go. The position the picture was taken is the position it will be in when its mounted. My suggestion would be to get it up in the hole and test run the two wires and see if you've got enough wire length to bring them around to the forward end of the starter body and then back onto the terminals...Both those posts are going to be facing the block as you will see when you test fit. (read dam little room 'tween the block and those terminal posts) You DO NOT want to run those wires over the top of the starter to mount them. Once you do the test fit pull the starter back out and down and mount the wires in the possession they will be in when in the starter is mounted. Unless you've got elf tools and elf fingers to match you do not want to try hooking up those wires when the starter is mounted and bolted in, Jer

I'll replace with mini's when the originals crap out....

Or when I put dual exhaust on Mary Jane. The single exhaust, cat, and muffler is shot and needs to be replaced.

That's the one. Connection to the terminals under there will do it. The only safe way to use the existing studs is to shorten them, or you risk contacting the block with the large one.

That's the one. Connection to the terminals under there will do it. The only safe way to use the existing studs is to shorten them, or you risk contacting the block with the large one.
Yup, exactly what happens interference with the block wall...the protrudence will not allow the starter to fit properly, let along even get close enough. No regrets for tossing the big one out of there other than I miss that stock Chrysler starter sound. I can live without it.

NO. That cover has to fit into a machined blind hole it the bell housing to support that end of the shaft and keep it lined up on the ring gear. Your picture shows that the terminal extention has been removed so you should be good to go. The position the picture was taken is the position it will be in when its mounted. My suggestion would be to get it up in the hole and test run the two wires and see if you've got enough wire length to bring them around to the forward end of the starter body and then back onto the terminals...Both those posts are going to be facing the block as you will see when you test fit. (read dam little room 'tween the block and those terminal posts) You DO NOT want to run those wires over the top of the starter to mount them. Once you do the test fit pull the starter back out and down and mount the wires in the possession they will be in when in the starter is mounted. Unless you've got elf tools and elf fingers to match you do not want to try hooking up those wires when the starter is mounted and bolted in, Jer

I wasn't talking about the nose on the stater. I was talking about the terminal mounts and removing the extension. Looking at the starter, I can see what needs to be done now.

I'll be picking a new mini up soon. Thanks guys for the info and year I need. It's a tough job getting the big starter out. Headers, collector, draining the antifreeze, motor mount. Pain in the *** to be honest.

Back