MrMopar's Ramblings

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
There have been some recent conversations about my fleet.

This is the current fleet and the typical parking arrangement. Once the CHP project is done I will be able to put the Barracuda back in the garage, I keep a cover on it.

2013-06-24_003.jpg

As for the past we'll give a little history. It started with my Grandparents Barracuda that was given to me in 1985

1971 with my sister
1971-04-11_001.jpg

1973_02.jpg

I had my eye on that barracuda for years but it wasn't the first for me, in 1984 by parents gave me a 1973 Barracuda that they were no longer driving. The car had some issues having close to 200k on it, I drove it less than a year before I had no money to fix some of the issues that were getting worse and making it difficult to drive. It was shortly after this that I got the 1967 Barracuda.

CURRENT COUNT: 1

1990-07.jpg

I got the Barracuda in 1985 and it already had over 100k on and getting close to 200k. I drove the car for a year or so before it started having issues, I say issues because I was naïve and don't recall.

CURRENT COUNT: 2

As the money came in I fixed what I could on the two cars and managed. Some time later, marriage, divorce, job change etc. I moved and got a new job and felt I should get a new car. 1994 and the new Neon had just come out and I felt it was the perfect car for me. A fully loaded Sport with a 5-speed, only problem was it was a 94 and no DOHC or 2-door not to mention a bunch of other details. They say there are no 94 Neon's but I can spot a 94 Sport 100' away.

I have no pictures of my car??
Alan94-001.jpg

CURRENT COUNT: 3

A few years later I decided that I still wanted the DOHC and looked for one, ended up with a 4-door again but it didn't matter the car was way too much fun to notice.

Again no actual picture of mine, I do have one but can't find it.
1997-01.jpg

Things were looking up and I was in love with the Sebrings that have been out for a few years and had to have one. A fully loaded JXi was acquired and for once it was all I wanted, color and options.

1999 at the Grand Canyon, that is real, not photoshop.
alan99-000.jpg

Last edited:
All this time I still had the two Barracudas, the 67 was taken apart in 1990 to restore and I was driving the 73. With the divorce I had no money to continue that. Shortly after I got the Sebring I sold the 73 by now it had no engine and I lost a place to keep it, the 67 was in my brothers garage.

I had the Sebring several years and again a job change for the good and now I have a place with a garage so the 67 was moved to my place but still no money for it. Seeing what I was spending on the Sebring I chose to get rid of it but before I did I needed a car. A 67 Valiant was spotted on ebay and I won. This was a pretty unique car but didn't know at the time. It has a 273 automatic, I come to find that in 67 very few Valiants had V8's (maybe 1500)
2004-06-06_02.jpg

A year or so after I got the Valiant the Sebring was unloaded.

A couple years later even though I was working on the Barracuda nickel at a time I got another Valiant, this time a 2-door as I wanted to build a car for the Silver State Classic. I had this car about 5 years and probably put less than 50 miles on it, It sat for over 10 years before I got it and I never could get it to run decently and didn't want to put money into it. The car was sold when priorities changed.
2006-02-01-02.jpg

2008-11-02_012.jpg

By now the Barracuda was done and it was on to the next one, a CHP car. I had already picked the 69 as the one I wanted but was open to doing a clone. A suitable donor was found and off to Montana I went. The 2-door Valiant was sold to help finance this purchase.
2009-11-21_08.jpg

CURRENT COUNT: 3 (4, if you count the fact that I still had the Valiant I just sold)

Right away work progressed on the restoration, not even six months later I hear about a genuine CHP used 1969 Polara, I had to have it.
2010-05-08_042.jpg

Three months later it was mine. Now it was getting crazy, 5 cars. I called my friend that got the 2-door and had him come get it, still 4 cars (and the 4-door Valiant wasn’t a driver). Issues with the HOA on the non driver I sold it knowing I needed to keep the piece as I was about to dive into a major restoration in my garage.

That didn’t last long as my Brother was moving to Oregon an I would no longer have use of his truck, I was going to need a truck.
2011-08-13_002.jpg

CURRENT COUNT: 4

Last edited:
It's great how a car guy can recall most of his life experiences by the vehicles owned throughout time.

No matter what the circumstances, there was always that special vehicle that represented hope.

I said it before, I enjoy reading your stories.....
I wouldnt mind history on many of the members here

One man's history, love it. I could read these all day.

With the CHP project closing in on completion I will soon no longer need the Other Polara. I had considered getting a nice C-body but chose not to as the car would live outside 24/7. For a while I had looked at the idea of a Chrysler Sebring like I had but opted to take advantage of this and reduce my fleet to 3. To do so I will be selling my 1970 Dodge Truck as well so the decision was to get a late model truck and there was no question what I was going to look for, a 7.3L F250, these have a proven track record.

After a few months looking and passing on a few I chose to pull the trigger on this one. Cab of choice, bed of choice, transmission of choice, and not 4wd, essentially checking all my boxes. Did I say it only has 77,000 miles on it.

2016-04-06_005.jpg

Columbia River in Washington just across the river from Astoria at the Astoria Megler Bridge.

1050 Miles away, airfare $275, $120 (estimated), a visit with my Brother's family.

CURRENT COUNT: 5 (anybody want a 1970 Dodge Truck?)

Alan

I didn't think it would take that long but I sold my 1970 D-200, I really liked the truck but the idea of 4 vehicles wasn't what I wanted. Getting the Super Duty was the first step and recently the Dodge sold locally for close to what I was asking.
2016-05-15_007.jpg

The other Polara is still for sale

CURRENT COUNT: 4

Alan

I said it before, I enjoy reading your stories.....
I wouldnt mind history on many of the members here
A history of all types of cars, or just Mopars? I could go on at great length. I have been driving for a living for over 20 years, and many a vehicle has been of service to me (vocationally and otherwise) during that time. If anyone is curious, I will begin a thread when I have some time.

A history of all types of cars, or just Mopars? I could go on at great length. I have been driving for a living for over 20 years, and many a vehicle has been of service to me (vocationally and otherwise) during that time. If anyone is curious, I will begin a thread when I have some time.
I'd read it!

IMG_3241.JPG

As stated the Other Polara was no longer needed for transportation or parts, it has been sold and will go towards saving another 69 CHP package car. The new owner (a member here) drove off just as it started to rain, he had about a two an a half hour drive home. I was told the car did well.

CURRENT (and final) COUNT 3

Alan

Back