Murray B. Park Private tour

Dave I have 3-4 pics of the FC7 "999" code Fury III vert, it had a 318 IIRC, golden hood, rest of body original paint (what was left of it) being a northern car it had a little bit more colour on the sides, heavy rust through.

It showed up later at Murrays place.
here is a pic:

Car021.jpg

Now there is a bunch of stuff on it

Carsten

I know all about it Carsten, I remember it being for sale twice.....
But through the years had heard there was another. Probably just a tale I suppose.
I still have those photos from the original sale. I was floored to find out it landed at Murrays many years ago

I notice a lot of junkyard guys get sorta nuts as they age, I hope that doesn't happen to Murray.
I've noticed that too. Probably from dealing with customers!

Wow. I always pictured him as some eccentric old coot like the hoarders you see on American Pickers. Totally 180° from what I thought.
I would say those pictures are 100% evidence of hoarding, just because we like the cars doesn't change what it is. I see obsession and compulsion, 2 prime factors in hoarding, and it sure looks like acquiring at some point got higher priority than organizing (or it just happened faster). OR it may have been a plan for stocking up back in the day to have a retirement nest egg to sell off, though. A 3rd factor is feeling controlled by one's possessions, and I don't know how you could have that much stuff without feeling controlled by it, and being disgusted by the good stuff being ravaged by time while it sits there.

I would get sad seeing all the things sitting there awaiting a better future - because that happens when I look at the 65SF buried in the back of my garage. Can't save them all, no matter how hard you try.

Thanks for the pics.....
The 300 hurst doesn,t look that bad and i see a 65 300 4-spd , is that a coupe
016-jpg.80936.jpg

021-jpg.80941.jpg
You can see 2 doorhandles on the 65, and the door looks very much to be a 4dr hdtp door. Would be a unique car for sure, I wonder what he wants for it and how much it needs (beyond the obvious in the pics, that is).

I don't see it as hoarding. He is simply buying all he can while it is available. Parts cars are his survival and without him saving them many would have been gone a long time ago. Sure they are on borrowed time but it means others will live longer.

I vote not a hoarder but rather good business sense

To me it is simply a one man salvage operation. Obviously it doesn't look like a modern wrecking yard with neat rows and computerised inventory. It's his retirement nest egg and he happens to love the cars. We should all be so lucky to look forward to such a fulfilling retirement.

Thanks for the pics.....
The 300 hurst doesn,t look that bad and i see a 65 300 4-spd , is that a coupe
016-jpg.80936.jpg

082-jpg.81002.jpg

021-jpg.80941.jpg

That is a 4DHT. I saw it there in 2009. There was a small story about it in some Mopar magazine. The magazine is in a pile somewhere in my shop. Murray knew it was an extremely odd/rare car. I doubt he would part with it.

John

And it's not really a one man thing either. I think he has the whole family involved.

For those here that might have joined this party(thread) late, In my comments on page 4 #67 I neglected to say that his Dad bought him those Two carz when Murray waz 12 yearz old and waz still living with hiz folks az a single Man in '83 when I meet him at hiz folks place out side of Tiffin to pick up a radiator for my '63 Valiant V200 push button tower of power. Horder? NO WAY. A life long ambition and Love of the hobby, YOU BET, Jer

old_school_architectural_salvage_project_055.jpg

I
windows.jpg

Pictured above is an Architectural Salvage business.
Hoarders? F~~~ NO! You're being way too harsh. Shame on you.
Murray is sincere in the preservation of C-bodies.

To make it clear, I'm not criticizing the guy. Some of you will write me off for my opinion anyway, that's your prerogative.

But just because there's a business aspect to it, or that he's working on a retirement egg, or that we love the stuff he has collected, doesn't mean that there aren't hoarding characteristics at work.

When you accumulate en-masse stuff like this (just like in Stan's picture), have it stacked up so tight that customers cannot easily/fully inspect it, cannot buy it, you continue to buy more under the premise 'I have to get it while it's still available', you build more storage space to house more goods, you never get rid of your worst merchandise because 'you never know when someone might be looking for that' -- you are hoarding stuff. I visited an architectural salvage a number of years ago - 3-4 buildings, some falling down, roof leaks onto stacks of wooden doors/windows and rotting them - when I asked why they didn't organize and preserve their stuff, and get rid of the junk, I was told they were too busy finding and dismantling old buildings (accumulating).

We are grateful that he does what he does, but I am betting that, regardless of whether he enjoys his work (I would), these cars are a big controlling factor in his life (I know this operation would overwhelm my life, and am I so different from the rest of you guys???).

This car. How much time would it take to get it out so that it could be delivered for sale. To me it looks like an all-day job. Trunk open, hood open, side glass open. Not an ideal way to store such a valuable car that appears to be in worthwhile condition. Not good business sense IMO.

And there are a bunch of comments thru this thread (from numerous folks), comments that are bullseye-characteristics of hoarding, and they seem innocent until you add them up. Hoarding doesn't happen overnite, it takes years to develop. All hoarders love their stuff, so passion for a hobby isn't salvation. We just don't want to acknowledge it because we like the guy and these cars are dear to our hearts.

How many of you would love to go there, spend a week getting dirty and helping him organize, put things on the 'net to get him more $$, help pack and ship, etc? Anyone?

080-jpg.81089.jpg

Pictured above is an Architectural Salvage business.
Hoarders? F~~~ NO! You're being way too harsh. Shame on you.
Murray is sincere in the preservation of C-bodies.
Hmmm. I didn't notice that 2nd picture in there the 1st time I saw your post. That is an organized display, and completely different from your first picture. Interesting that I see that pic after I mention how hoarding usually doesn't allow for goods to be on display for sale.

And I've said I'm not criticizing him, but that those pictures show classic signs of hoarding. If you disagree, that's fine, but explain why you think my assessment is wrong, don't just say he's sincere, and shame on me. So far everybody that said he's not a hoarder was based on their positive opinion of him personally, which means nothing toward the situation itself.

Please understand sir that Murray Park's Salvage Yard IS NOT open to the public under any circumstances FOR VIEWING OR SHOPPING OR SHOP LIFTING, except through a personal invitation and only a very few ad'z that he pays for in a couple of periodicals, and word of mouth to market hiz warez. And then the few swap Meetz he makes every year ie: Carlisle, The Mopar Nats, and a few smaller One and two day shows. Except for his Wife Mindy and hiz two little girls, He's ah ONE MAN SHOW that has run that partz business successfully on an international level for more then 30 yearz that I personally know of while working an 48 hour week for wages and ah few benefits ON THE SIDE for he and his family. Contact him for just about any C-Body part and many others that your imagination can conger up and see what his "HORDING" can do for you. You do our Friend a great disservice by dumping him into that category without knowing the man and his objectives while on this planet sir. I'm done now, Have ah great day, Jer

Back