My Christmas Miracle

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Today I thought I would look into making a mold to reproduce turn lenses. I watched a couple of videos and found a product that I can purchase locally. I have a large pressure pot already so I think I am in business.

I was going to start with the clear front lenses on Goldie, but my goal is to try and replicate the Holy Grail of '66 300 lenses, the rear taillights. I couldn't remember how the backs of the lenses looked I knew they had to be open, so I just did a google search. I found a good picture but it was the front side.

I clicked on the picture to visit the web sight and it was a buy it now on E-bay. Hallelujah my 5 year search has ended. I am going to say it is good karma because I am still going to try and make a mold to replicate the lens.

This is my damaged lens

Lens broken.sm.jpg

Here is the NOS

Holy Grail1.png

You lucky guy, that's a score. Keep looking for all other 23 people that need them! And kudos on trying to make these yourself. Remember, if you don't SELL them, you can't get busted for copyright infringement, I think.

I was on my laptop and couldn't remember my password. I about hyperventilated until I grabbed my phone and used the app. I then could enter my account and buy it. :)

Nice score Mike!

I have found (or should I say others on FCBO found them for me) rare one off parts for my 1978 NYB that I was to pull the trigger on quickly over the years.

Thanks Stan, Mr.C and others......

The excitement of finding parts like this is possibly my favorite part of the hobby, congrats again Mike!:thumbsup:

I honestly never thought there would be NOS still out there. Murray Park actually mentioned once he has one, but it was not for sale. I figured his was the last one.

I was just talking about the taillights to a cousin over Christmas. I said thought I would have to buy a whole car just to get a taillight.

Last edited:
Today I thought I would look into making a mold to reproduce turn lenses. I watched a couple of videos and found a product that I can purchase locally. I have a large pressure pot already so I think I am in business.

I was going to start with the clear front lenses on Goldie, but my goal is to try and replicate the Holy Grail of '66 300 lenses, the rear taillights. I couldn't remember how the backs of the lenses looked I knew they had to be open, so I just did a google search. I found a good picture but it was the front side.

I clicked on the picture to visit the web sight and it was a buy it now on E-bay. Hallelujah my 5 year search has ended. I am going to say it is good karma because I am still going to try and make a mold to replicate the lens.

This is my damaged lens

View attachment 158604

Here is the NOS

View attachment 158603
Well you must have been a really good boy last year!

Merry Christmas

I always knew you had a horse shoe up yer ***. . .

Mike, @desotogeorge from the site makes lenses for a bunch of cars. Maybe you could contact him.

Thanks for the tip. George is actually the one who made my front turn lenses for my 66. He does beautiful work. In fact, his work is what inspired me to seek out the means to reproduce the lenses. I am going to give it a go myself. Here is the set he made for me, 4 years ago. They still look good, so he is using a good UV resistant urethane resin.

Turn lens.sm.jpg

Thanks for the tip. George is actually the one who made my front turn lenses for my 66. He does beautiful work. In fact, his work is what inspired me to seek out the means to reproduce the lenses. I am going to give it a go myself. Here is the set he made for me, 4 years ago. They still look good, so he is using a good UV resistant urethane resin.

View attachment 158817

They look better than the real lenses.

Especially mine because there were big holes in them :)

Every used set I saw where yellow and brittle. He was cheaper too

Back