Nice ‘69 Hemi Newport survivor

detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
At my buddies cars & coffee yesterday. Well I should say it’s all completely original except the engine, trans and the paint on the hood...ok and the cop wheels. This beauty is in amazing condition but I will say I would much rather see the original 383 2 bbl in the engine room. The owner has had it for 20 years and I think it has 40k miles on it.
B0AA7EBE-0DE0-4CAA-8042-A31553D1CD0B.jpeg

1E66DF15-0794-4890-8B4C-1F45E7F77BDD.jpeg
ECA63824-39C8-41D8-9C40-A77DA758F633.jpeg
6C037CD7-8137-4F38-B92E-3EFBDA46E31D.jpeg

B8E27434-752A-42C1-82E8-2A7DA4873637.jpeg
328AE296-F5FA-4CCD-8B2F-6EBF16E7E0BD.jpeg

Beautiful car indeed. The engine bay looks a little...different ;)
I agree with you that 383-2 would be better, but I gues it brings a lot of fun at the traffic light :steering:

This wonderful car deserves the original engine. I hope he atleast kept it and the next owner can put it back in.

The car looks absolutely amazing! AND, it's "all in the family". NO possibilities of "tissue rejection". VERY well done, although I might like a different wheel/tire choice. Very good, as is, though.

Is that a tilt column with a normal steering wheel on it?

THANKS for posting that!
CBODY67

Last edited:
People, maybe the 383 grenaded and he had this one laying about. Give the guy a break! Do we pound a person when they dump a 318 for a 440, or even a 383? Usually not.

I know one thing, I have that motor in my '17 Durango. I wouldn't mind it in my Newport!

And here I thought you meant the fabled “383 Hemi Newport” that every ones dad had back in 70’s.
:usflag:

Nicely done and beautiful car. If there was a decent tutorial and parts list, it would make a lot of these rollers come alive again.

Seems like there are some threads in here about putting the 6 or 8-speedd automatics behind B/RB engines? Plus some builds on making the GenIII Hemis fit in the earlier cars, to? But possibly not a comprehensive parts/source list? I PM'd with the member that did the '67 or '68 Fury III "23" a while back. Seemed quite easy! Used the Gen III radiator, too, as a "bolt-in" situation. Just needing a place to put the radiator cap, but it appears the particular Newport used a normal radiator and hose?

Granted, the newer engines make good power, but it's the later automatics that make those engines work as well as they do. That 4.50+ low gear ratio makes up for a lot of "launch" performance that was previously done with low-end, off-idle torque of the larger displacement engines. The engines being lighter weight makes up for that heavier transmission, too. Wondering how the driveshaft interface works?

How to make the electronics for the engine work? Some I've talked to seem to think that putting a carb and distributor on them (as Mopar Perf had items to do, in the first years?) makes no sense to them, but MIGHT be an option if the Gen III engines become more plentiful from the salvage vendors? Similar with the Chevy LS. These things won't make the cars more valuable, BUT might make then more saleable to younger enthusiasts who know what they're looking at when they see them AND know how to work on them.

Perhaps all of those engine/transmission threads could be put into a sticky folder?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Nicely done and beautiful car. If there was a decent tutorial and parts list, it would make a lot of these rollers come alive again.

agreed - nice Hemi Newp. I like it. Dunno its build detail but it looks good. Thanks detmatt.

Minor hijack here but its related. My apologies in advance if you wanna skip the stuff that follows.

some guys tried to get me to invest in a retro-repower kinda business couple summers ago. modern powertrain updates for RWD (A,B,C,E,F, J, M, and R's) Mopars (brakes and suspension too).

The rub? too many ways to get it WRONG in the end (impaired reliability, not enough people to work on them due to their customized nature, not enough 6L Hemi salvage, regulation that would turn them into paper weights, etc.

In other words, though investment was modest, i couldnt see a "business case" except to a handful of high-end enthusiasts (200 a year). I wanted something more for the "common man" to enjoy without getting a second mortgage but they thought otherwise.

Still think its a good idea tho. These guys i was talking to are still trying. I am sure somebody is doing "turnkey" setups like the Chevy folks are into (at least for the powertrain)

I was goona do my car but didnt want to swap out a strong 383. I finally got the OD manual (used setup i found on Ebay) in my '69 4-sp Newp (coming outta body & paint in a couple months) I bought here last summer.

The original 383-2V is quite spry - must a been a handful on the tree. we combined the hemi OD with a 3.55 SG, and its white knuckle time (needs suspension work) at high speed. Losing my nerve in my old age. :)

s-l1600-jpg-jpg.jpg
untitled18-jpg.jpg

I neglected to find out what he used for a transmission, my bad but these swaps don’t normally make me want to know too much more about them. He was a very nice old guy who I’m sure I’ll see again And I’ll find out more. What I do know is that he said the original driveshaft required no mods and that the whole thing was basically plug and play. I was blown away by the rest of the car.

Well I phoned a friend and found out he used the original 727.

The swap is pretty straight forward if you're not using the 5/8spd trans. Get a 2005 ram computer and a hotwire harness. I agree a lot of the advantage is in the trans.

I love it and have been thinking of doing one to my wagon in the future.
But a list of sources for adapters and such would be ideal!!

There are a ton of retro fits happening out there. I would not be totally against it in my car. Or maybe my Coronet.
There are several places that specialize in palletizing the whole drive train and it is turn key on the pallet.
I just recently seen a super low mile 6.1 with 6sp manual palletized. There is no way I could swap in a 4spd and build a stout 440 and come close to touching it cost or performance wise.

The biggest drawback was it looked like you would have to sit in the back seat to shift.

I have the perfect candidate for this type of project it's a 68 sport Fury Factory 4spd car but does not have any running gear in it ((LONG GONE)) was thinking about a 440 4spd for it but this combination might be just the ticket

You should be able to convert the manual trans to mid shift.

There are build threads on drydock and on moparts trying to use original harnesses, sensors, and computers. One of the best ones on moparts is in a b body. He eventually gave up on trying to make the oem harness work and spent the money for the hotwire harness.
Those turn key running pallets are nifty but you want to truly understand how to make it work in the car. It can be easier to use aftermarket computer and harness, and still cost effective. You can buy 09+ hemi for $1500 full lift out if you shop around.
I bought a 2005 with the nag1 and computers for $400. Engine made noise they said. Nag1 core is that much.

Back