Ocala Fl

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
While attending the don Garlits show just recently a friend who lives in Ocala invited Ellie and I to set up our pop up camper on his property. Marvin is an elderly fellow who we have met at several of the mopar shows we attend. He and his wife Joan would always stop and admire Jazebelle because "they had one just like it" long ago. He would tell stories of mopars past and the 1969 Hemi road runner convertible bought new and used to tow a pop up camper.

Throughout the weekend I would find out just how interesting and special a guy Marvin was.

Once I got out camper set up on friday we jumped into marvins truck and headed to the Garlits place for vendor set up day. First thing, once there ... Don Garlits rides up on a golf cart and says "hey Hemi Marvin, whats up"..... They've been friends for years.
Throughtout the swap meet most of the veteran vendors greeded "Hemi" Marvin. ( I got my 318 power pack intake & carb deal mainly because I was with Marvin ..... seller told me so.)
Back at Marvin & Joans place I was able to get a look at what was behind the shop doors......... I'll let the pictures talk.

The 56 Coronet D500 convertible was Marvin & Joans 50th anniversary gift to themselves.

joan & marvin in jazebelle (Large).jpg

joan & marvin in jazebelle 2 (Large).jpg

joan & marvins 50ty annv coronet 1 (Large).jpg

joan & marvin (Large).jpg

joan & marvins coronet vert 1 (Large).jpg

joan & marvins coronet vert 2 (Large).jpg

joan and marvins coronet vert 3 (Large).jpg

joan & marvins coronet vert 4 (Large).jpg

Can I come down and fix the wiring for him? He looks like a cool guy and that car shouldn't have the damned wire nuts.

If anyone has watched the velocity channel, there is a show called "Americarna" hosted by Ray Evernham.
Marvin built Hemi's for Jim Vandiver, A NASCAR racer who drove dodges, (including a Superbird), in the 60's & 70's. Marvin owned a complete, fully operational 74 Hemi Charger stock car and Evernham contacted him and bought the car. They did a show about the deal and compaired the Dodge to a current NASCAR race car with Kasey Kahne driving both cars on a course.

That was the first hint I got as to who My friend Marvin was. We had a great time together and Marvin told me some things I never knew about Hemi's, 440's and mopar engines in general.

Will what tidbits can you share about what he told you about Hemi's and 440's?

Great thread, thanks for posting. Although these guys are "legends" they do sound pretty down to earth.

Exactly ....... There are many more "behind the scenes" people, (the ones that made things work), then those in the spot light. Marvin is as down to earth as
they come ...... A dyed in the wool car guy.

We sat on chairs in the shop and told stories for hours .... the girls had to come and drag us off to dinner. Where we talked about cars somemore.

He was sure that Jazebelle was his long lost 300. He found a picture and it looked identical, except for having wheel covers, as Jazebelle did when we got her. An old regestration showed the VIN was different ..... I think he was a little dissapointed. Said he wished he'd kept that one.

I wish I would of kept ALL of my old Mopars too. LOL!

I think every Mopar guy says that! LOL!

Sure they do, most car guys do. Reality though is why most of us got rid of them in the past. We can say " no more" but you never know.

I spoke to Marvin on the phone about buying some parts. He is such a nice guy. The trip up to see his collection alone would be worth the price of the parts.

I think that D 500, and Marvin had a article in Mopar Action if I remember right I'll try and find it, seems I remember the story of the anniversary present.

I think that D 500, and Marvin had a article in Mopar Action if I remember right I'll try and find it, seems I remember the story of the anniversary present.

marvin and Joan are coming up on their 60th anniversary soon and are looking for a 59 Plymouth sport fury to celebrate that.

Will?, you're living the dream and I think I've said that before.

Back