Opinions on Garage Windows

mdh157

Reaction score
My second garage is about 2 weeks out from being started. Right now I have it set to get 4 24 x 36" windows. Not sure if it is a good idea to keep the windows or go without them and maybe use the $$ to make sure it has plenty of elec/lighting. I like the idea of natural light but also know they make it easier for people to look in, break in, sun to fade paint, etc. I do not plan on using the side walls for storage so that is not an issue.

What do you guys think?

I like natural light, and not having windows doesn't necessarily make it safer from B&E. But if I build, I probably only have windows where it's more of an office area, the big door will be open enough.

If it is block construction use glass block windows. Natural light plus the security of not being able to see inside.

I'd go with short, wide windows placed high on the wall to maximize your layout options. Personally (but more so in my house) I like "shed" style casement windows. You can leave them open for ventilation even during rain.

My shop and garage have door windows in the utmost panels for light (and security). The Windows in the shop are also higher. The light is better and tji s also aids in security.

I would definitely go with natural light, there's enough possibilities to make them safe as mentioned before plus sufficient electrical lighting. I had the Windows of the new building integrated into the barn doors with Gold aluminum framing to blend with the mid century house design and to have that old Workshop look, in fact it's a copy of the doors from an old blacksmith shop nearby. I used blurred wire mesh glass to block visibility inside, the dark paint of the doors heats up quite a bit in summer, but a lighter shade just doesn't look right. A set of 50s curtains already in the proper measurements came in Handy as an Ebay-offering to shield the sun a bit that shines in this spot in the morning. Took me some time to glue that glass inside and round out all the edges.

DSCI0038.JPG
DSCI0124.JPG

Last edited:
I like the idea of sky lights over side windows. I like to make full use of the walls and windows just get in the way. Windows promote window shoppers.

At leást with a flattop Roof I'd skip Skylights due to almost guaranteed leakage Problems in the Long run.

When I replaced the windows in my garage, I ordered a frosted window. I have light, but you can't see in.

My second garage is about 2 weeks out from being started. Right now I have it set to get 4 24 x 36" windows. Not sure if it is a good idea to keep the windows or go without them and maybe use the $$ to make sure it has plenty of elec/lighting. I like the idea of natural light but also know they make it easier for people to look in, break in, sun to fade paint, etc. I do not plan on using the side walls for storage so that is not an issue.

What do you guys think?
Place them high, and put some classic pull shades on them, they will protect your cars from the light, and keep prying eyes away. Plus you can make the string on the bottom as long as you need to reach.

I would definitely go with natural light, there's enough possibilities to make them safe as mentioned before plus sufficient electrical lighting. I had the Windows of the new building integrated into the barn doors with Gold aluminum framing to blend with the mid century house design and to have that old Workshop look, in fact it's a copy of the doors from an old blacksmith shop nearby. I used blurred wire mesh glass to block visibility inside, the dark paint of the doors heats up quite a bit in summer, but a lighter shade just doesn't look right. A set of 50s curtains already in the proper measurements came in Handy as an Ebay-offering to shield the sun a bit that shines in this spot in the morning. Took me some time to glue that glass inside and round out all the edges.

View attachment 192859 View attachment 192860
Our garage doors look just like this exept the windows are not as tall. Our house was built in the 1870s it was originally for a horse and carriage. They are two massive wooden doors that slide on a track.

I like natural light and also want to open the windows, I have big windows in my shop. I crossed flat steel on the inside of the windows, but I would invest in some blinds. I know if a theif sees something they want they will just kick in the door.

I'd go with short, wide windows placed high on the wall to maximize your layout options. Personally (but more so in my house) I like "shed" style casement windows. You can leave them open for ventilation even during rain.
Bingo!

What do you guys think?

NO windows. More secure and more room for wall hangers.

This is called having your cake and eating it, too ( at less than 10 bucks a window at that). They work for me very nicely.

alabaster-hampton-bay-vinyl-mini-blinds-10793478353033-64_1000.jpg

Don't out any on the side opposite your house.if your going vinyl when you order them ask for extra long sash stops that will only let them open as far as you choose. Usually 6" in a situation like that

What do you guys think?
I would have said to be cautious about where you place them due to shelves, but you ruled that out. I like the natural light and the breeze that can be left in. My garage has four large windows. If I had built it they would probably be smaller to allow for more shelf space, but once again you're not concerned with that.

NO windows. More secure and more room for wall hangers.
Locks only keep honest people honest.

Locks only keep honest people honest.

Agreed. If somebody wants it bad enough, they'll get it. Don't force yourself into a cave because of theft worries. Even someone with meth-brain will realize that you've got "stuff" just by virtue of the second garage. If they really want it, they'll wait for you to leave and cut through your wall with a battery saw. The good news is I think the market for old car parts gets smaller every year, and fewer people know which end of a hot screwdriver to turn.

I picked up a used aluminum slider in a wood frame for $15 at a used building supply store, then bought a plastic mini blind at Wal Mart. Perfect for my needs. Screen lets me have fresh air and keeps the mosquitoes out. Blind keeps my garage contents a secret. I agree with having the window(s) on the same side as your house and that's where my one and only garage window is.

Back