Overheating problem with Madeline

no, the pulley is the factory one.......it's correct. nothing has changed exc the pump and a fresh coat of paint on the pulley

just messed with it again.....now with the belt off it only turns abt 2 in each direction, then no more..........pump turned fine when i put it on before i re-installed the radiator, now something is preventing it from turning.

I am not taking this whole thing apart again, will try to take the fan/pulley off and see what is holding the pump up.

EDIT: cannot get the fan/pulley off w/o taking the rad back out, only a G-D inch of clearance, not enough to get any leverage on the wrench and cannot get a socket/drive on it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the fan/pulley should rotate freely by hand w/o the belt on it and keep going and going like the pump did before i finished the install, correct?

Last edited:
Check the length of the bolts that hold the fan on and make sure they aren't hitting the water pump housing, in other words bottoming out against it.

that may be happening, not enough room to tell. guess i have to take the radiator back off unless my neighbor has a hollow pipe i can use for leverage.

never fails, simplest thing turns into a hassle. the housing is a bit diff on this pump, may be doing so like 1/8 inch or something.

back in a bit.....

Sounds like the water pump impeller is hitting the back of the water pump housing.

If it turned before you put the fan on I'd see if the bolts are to long. I would NOT put a pipe on it and try to turn it, bad things usually happen.

Matt - good call, that is it. Had to take the rad out, could not even get the pipe in there with the 7 blade. Off to Lowe's for some "shims."

I did compare the two side by side, most of the pumps have these nibs on the housing, it is not smooth down to the impeller for the entire 360 degrees due to the engineers at Cardone being a bunch of ignoramouses. If i turn the fan bolts out abt 1/8-1/10th of an inch from the fully tightened position it turns perfectly.

of course now i'll get it back together and it'll leak plus it'll still show as running hot........

looks like it might be........got her back together, ran it for 20-25 mins inside the garage, the highest the thermometer got up to was 192, then floated around 188-191 (180 degree thermo), gauge was only a bit past the half mark, took it for a short 3 mile ride, dropped back to what i consider normal while cruising. ran it again for 10 mins when i got back, no leaks yet, held at abt 190 on the thermo.

going for a slightly longer ride after dinner, will keep ya posted.

looks like it might be........got her back together, ran it for 20-25 mins inside the garage, the highest the thermometer got up to was 192, then floated around 188-191 (180 degree thermo), gauge was only a bit past the half mark, took it for a short 3 mile ride, dropped back to what i consider normal while cruising. ran it again for 10 mins when i got back, no leaks yet, held at abt 190 on the thermo.

going for a slightly longer ride after dinner, will keep ya posted.

Once it cools off, take the cap off and top her off again.

that's the q.......how do i know if it's pulling coolant back into the radiator? looks like the level is staying the same.

that's the q.......how do i know if it's pulling coolant back into the radiator? looks like the level is staying the same.

Easy......take the radiator cap off and look in the radiator. It should be full after cooling off if it's pulling coolant from the overflow tank.

just took her for a 10 mile circle.....the good news is, she's showing operating temp on the gauge (albeit it is cooler today). Bad news is, thermo housing is leaking @ the gasket. gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

just took her for a 10 mile circle.....the good news is, she's showing operating temp on the gauge (albeit it is cooler today). Bad news is, thermo housing is leaking @ the gasket. gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Did you use the old housing?

Back