Package Tray Resto

ieman

Reaction score
Here is the result of about 10 hours of careful scraping... The old paint was very brittle and with some meticulous persuasion I was able to remove the paint and preserve most of the faux leather texture underneath. I'm not sure it was the best way to do it, but figured chemical stripping would have ruined it, and sanding would smooth the texture.
package tray.jpg

Unfortunately, I have hit a bit of a road block getting the correct color paint. Not being sure of how to go about it properly, I did some research and came up with the following interior color charts:
65colourIN1.jpg65colourUS2.jpg

I'm thinking the correct color is the Dark Tan 22356 in the 'Suede Finish Colors' category. I called the local PPG store and they informed me that the paint is not available because it is a lacquer. The Dupont number 4587-L, is also a lacquer. They informed me that all they could do is mix something up based on me bringing in a sample.
Has anyone had to deal with this before? Any suggestions on where to go from here? My car is not a true restoration project and correct material (lacquer) is not important to me, but I do want to have the correct color on the package tray.

package tray.jpg

65colourIN1.jpg

65colourUS2.jpg

Firstly, you don't have to use a lacquer. An acrylic enamel is fine.
Secondly local auto body paint stores are becoming as useless as tits on a bull over the years. Not like the old days.
Gotta go internet now, unfortunately.
I highly recommend these guys. They do it all.
It's going to cost you about 80 bucks for a qt.

globalhomehead.png

http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/

The alternative is $7.95 for a generic color at AutoZone. What can you live with?

Last edited:
I just went to order a 17 dollar can of that stuff from herbs and shipping was 18 bucks.
Sorry. Not for me...

Just an option....

I just went to order a 17 dollar can of that stuff from herbs and shipping was 18 bucks.
Sorry. Not for me...
I purchased a can from herbs, they adjusted the shipping to eight dollars. Buy the adhesion promoter, it makes a difference.

Firstly, you don't have to use a lacquer. An acrylic enamel is fine.
Secondly local auto body paint stores are becoming as useless as tits on a bull over the years. Not like the old days.
Gotta go internet now, unfortunately.
I highly recommend these guys. They do it all.
It's going to cost you about 80 bucks for a qt.

globalhomehead.png

http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/

The alternative is $7.95 for a generic color at AutoZone. What can you live with?

I placed my order today, you nailed the price. The paint was $35, hardener $20, and a CO charged gun was another $15. With shipping it came to $81. The paint was available as a lacquer or Acrylic Enamel, based on the salesmans recommendation, I went with the enamel. The guy was very helpful and said they keep a file on me for all orders, could be helpful as my memory ain't what it use to be... Thanks for the tip!

I purchased a can from herbs, they adjusted the shipping to eight dollars. Buy the adhesion promoter, it makes a difference.
Just got an email from Herb with a reasonable shipping charge. So I did go ahead and order it.
I want to see how close a match his burgundy is to mine. If it's a match, it will save me a ton of money in the future if that day comes.
And thumbs up for Herb. THAT'S what I call customer service.

Last edited:
Back