Points issue.........totally baffled

72 Furyguy

Reaction score
Ok...so I have a problem....I decided to put new points in the fury....new coil...plugs...wires...cap...rotor all done already and no problems for at least a week....then yesterday I decided to change points and condenser just to have new stuff....old points kinda worn...NOW THE DAMN CAR LOADS UP...RUNS LIKE CRAP...WONT IDLE...ECT...I have to keep about half throttle to keep her running. tons of black smoke.... I am totally baffled why it wont run at least half way decent. All ignition parts are from NAPA. I set the points to .017..... on the high part of the cam lobe. Also is there a way to set the dwell and how to you accurately check the dwell. I see no adjustment can be made like on a chevy with the little window in the cap.....HELP HELP HELP. totally confused........thanks :soapbox:

Last edited:
that's not helping me with the current issue....I want to know what Im doing wrong....its called and education.....this shouldn't be happening....there has to be an answer. I can convert later.

the car wont stay running long enough for me to get to the meter to see it...as soon as I let off the gas....it dies

that's not helping me with the current issue....I want to know what Im doing wrong....its called and education.....this shouldn't be happening....there has to be an answer. I can convert later.
Sure ok. You'll get all the education you handle replacing old inferior stuff with new inferior stuff and doing the same thing over and over and over. Have at it.

the car wont stay running long enough for me to get to the meter to see it...as soon as I let off the gas....it dies
Let me see if I got this straight and we'll take the troubleshooting education from there.
First.
1. Car runs fine.
2. You did NOTHING (absolutely nothing) but new points and condenser.
3. Car runs like crap.

Think of ALL the things you touched changing JUST the points and condenser.
Plug wires all firmly seated in the cap and coil?
Cap seated correctly?
Any adjoining wires or vacuum lines become loose?
Regap the points do anything?
Regapping it a third time doing anything?

We'll take it from there without using shotgun approach answers...

all the other tune up stuff was done last week...only points were done yest. that's the only damn thing I touched...It started and ran a couple of min just now and of course...DIED. im ready to put the old ones back in...lol. all vac lines are fine..i plugged the one to the air cleaner just to cover the bases.

I am not the best person to give 'points' advice but I can tell you where I have had problems. Once you set the points and tighten things down, bump the engine over and check the gap at a few different spots. I have had issues where the gap was inconsistent (due to distributor wear, etc). If that is happening to you, you will need to find the best spot to compromise.
Best of luck.

...It started and ran a couple of min just now and of course...DIED.
Step 2

Everything from Step 1 was done.
Starts. (Normally?)
Runs (fine?) for a couple of minutes.
Dies.

Starts and runs. Points are gapped correctly then.

Rule out new points & condenser by putting in old set.

Get back to us.

If it's not that then something just started to happen by coincidence.
But that's step 99...

as a sanity check put the old parts back in and if it runs flawlessly, you got bad replacement parts.

^^ what he said.

the car started and will idle now...but has no power...very very flat....timing is 10 deg....21 inches of vac...checked for vac leaks just to double check...and car still runs flat as a pancake. I get a lot of black smoke when I add throttle....played with the timing to see if it would settle out....NO DIFFERENCE. My dwell meter doesn't seem to work....I put the red on my negative on the coil...and black to ground on the battery...then tried chassis....NOTHING.

Have you rechecked the point gap? Sounds silly, but let's just double check that first.

Spin the engine over with the cap off and watch the points. Are they opening and closing? Do the contacts come together square and aligned?

Next thing I would check is the connections on the wire to the coil at both ends. You could have broken or shorted the wire and not realized it.

Is the cap down on the distributor completely and correctly?

All the wires in place in the cap and correct firing order? Don't laugh... I once spent hours chasing down a problem just like this for my ex father inlaw... Come to find out he mixed a couple plug wires even though he never "touched the wires". LOL

It's probably something really simple... Fix it and get the car running and then ditch the points for a Mopar ignition or a Pertronix setup.

Im paying attention....dotting the I ...crossing the T. Firing order correct...18436572...same as gm. Number one TDC and followed the rest. I re gapped the points...checked lobe cam...coil connections...and then found the problem....READY FOR THIS?????...either it was like this before or when I was working on the passenger side I tweaked the choke pull of linkeage...HOW IS AN ANSWER I COULD NOT TELL YOU!!!!. Butterfly wouldn't open and and never bothered to look cause I never touched or adjusted the carb. It wasn't allowing the butterfly to open completely. The car was choking out the whole time....so after that I started the car and it was like new. Double checked base time...no vac on advance...set carb...and shes got lots of hammer now....the small flat spot I had is now gone too and its running great!!!! I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE FOR YOUR POSTS ON HERE!!! Im glad I can get help when needed and hope to return the favor to some of you someday if I can!!!!!! or maybe buy some parts from you and throw a little money at ya!!!! thanks again...I really do appreciate all of your help. In time ill go to pertronix like I wanted to.

It's a bit of a pain, but check the gap on every lob. set the points to .018, to accomadate the most worn lob.Your distributer is 40 years old,
try putting in your old condenser. I had a bad one once. Napa sells top line and bottom line parts. verify you got the better parts. your cap could be not quite where it has to be as well. You could have greased up the rotor taking it out, and sometimes a person forgets to push the rotor all the way on. Lots of little things. set the timing without the vacuum hooked up. These tips should keep you busy. LoL

Back