revisit Carb issue

Looks like a good canidate for a rebuild. Thanks for being the guinea pig .
giniepig.JPG
Welcome. So what's my next step?

giniepig.JPG

Last edited:
Seriously! What do I do next. I see that there a some areas that are now taking on a rust like color. Do I need to buy some book. Carter carb rebuild for dummies?

First step, buy a kit for it.
Second step- do some online research...for example, there are some excellent step by step "How to" articles out there. Find the one you like best for your carb...heck if there's a how to for a Thermoquad, there'll be one for an AFB. If you feel daunted at the prospect of rebuilding it yourself, then you can take the carb/ kit to a trusted mechanic for him/ her to do it for you.
Third step- if you're feeling up to it, tear down the carb, clean each piece, reassemble with the kit.

First step, buy a kit for it.
Second step- do some online research...for example, there are some excellent step by step "How to" articles out there. Find the one you like best for your carb...heck if there's a how to for a Thermoquad, there'll be one for an AFB. If you feel daunted at the prospect of rebuilding it yourself, then you can take the carb/ kit to a trusted mechanic for him/ her to do it for you.
Third step- if you're feeling up to it, tear down the carb, clean each piece, reassemble with the kit.
Oh..I'm gonna learn and do this myself. Just wondering if there is a "best" manual out there. It's a carter 600cfm 3856s.

Last edited:
Just take your time. Disassemble it over a bench or if you are worried, use a large baking tray to catch any little parts (springs, steel balls, clips, etc). Get a couple cans of carb cleaner and an old tooth brush. Air compressor and blower nozzle is handy.

Last edited:
Marian, before you start anything let me ask you this, do the butterfly shafts still actuate or are they frozen? If they are frozen, then a lot of the work you are about to attempt may be moot. The first thing to do is ascertain whether those shafts are good, if they are moving that's good but also you will then need to check for side play in the shafts too, (up and down movement) which may show wear in the shaft base plate.

Marian, before you start anything let me ask you this, do the butterfly shafts still actuate or are they frozen? If they are frozen, then a lot of the work you are about to attempt may be moot. The first thing to do is ascertain whether those shafts are good, if they are moving that's good but also you will then need to check for side play in the shafts too, (up and down movement) which may show wear in the shaft base plate.

What is a butterfly shaft?
Ò

the two shafts that have those four round plates you can see sealing the four big holes in the base. the throttle shaft and secondary shaft.

Sigh... how do I make them move?

then use a little brute force and ignorance to manually force it a bit, not too much, just enough to see if you can get any movement at all, it may only be a minor seize if you are lucky. If they dont move at all, then the base plate can be soaked with a can of WD40 or similar product where the shafts pass through the base plate of the carb and let it sit overnight, you just may be lucky. Its a slow process i know. :(

I shouldnt say base plate, the base of the body of the carb is more correct.

20130910_181340.jpg20130920_171246.jpg
I bought this 60 Imperial Crown last fall, had been sitting since 1987. I got it home and the carb was corroded shut, couldnt push the gas pedal or use your hand. It looked like a science experiment with all the globs of corrosion growing all over the place. I took some wire wheel acid and sprayed down the entire carb..... let it sit for a few mins then rinsed it off with water.... I drove the car onto the rack and went thru the brakes and was driving it places in under a week. It freed up and runs beautiful. You may or may not have the same outcome.

20130910_181340.jpg

20130920_171246.jpg

Sigh... how do I make them move?

Can you move the throtte back and forth to open/ close the butterflies (round plates that seal the bottom of the carb). Those butterflies are screwed to shafts that can wear (well actually it's the holes in the carb case around the shafts) that gets worn and cause troublesome vacuum leaks. The carb can be drilled out/ bushings installed to correct the problem...but it's a pain.
If you can't get them to open, it needs more solvents/ penetrating oil around the butterflies and shafts so that they'll open. If you force it- you may cause damage resulting in things being bent or undue wear on the throttle shafts causing the dreaded vacuum leaks.

Nope cant get them to free up. Soaking time again. What is the best solvent? I have some stuff sitting around but not enough to soak this thing.

Back