Shop tricks

Might think about a few tack welds to eliminate any possibility of the stand sliding on the very hard and very smooth rotor. :D
The center "hat" of the rotor won't let it. The four legs of the stand nicely fit over the center.

A larger jack stand might possibly be able to slide a leg off, but I kind of doubt it. I haven't tired it yet. Most of my driveway mechanic tomfoolery doesn't involve jacking it up too high, so the smaller stands are perfect.

PICT3736.jpg

The center "hat" of the rotor won't let it. The four legs of the stand nicely fit over the center.

A larger jack stand might possibly be able to slide a leg off, but I kind of doubt it. I haven't tired it yet. Most of my driveway mechanic tomfoolery doesn't involve jacking it up too high, so the smaller stands are perfect.

View attachment 288217
I just pointed it out in case you hadn't thought of it first. Good idea btw!

I mentioned this one to Our Friend Mario the other day, so thought it waz time to mention it here. When you're runnin' new HARD brake linez If you pick up a section of 3/16th" STEEL SHIELDING and slide it on any length of the line you can make any bendz you want to over ah 20' length of tubing WITHOUT CRIMPING THE LINE AZ LONG AZ YOU HAVE THAT SHIELDING AT THE SPOT YOU'RE BENDING. Just keep sliding the shielding az you get after the bending, Jer

I thought I would start a thread about tips and tricks to make our life easier working in the shop.

1) Saw dust works great as floor dry, not chips but fine dust.

2) Air hoses and cords can be easily wiped clean with solvent like lacquer thinner on a rag. We have a couple of yellow goodyear hoses at work and over time they turn brown, some solvent on a rag and one to wipe dry, it's yellow again.

Dear old Man with a hat,
I'm an old man with a hat, too; and I'm also a physician down here in Aus. Be wary of fine wood dust, it has been definitively linked to the development of nasal cancers. One of my good buddies (a Ford expert, unfortunately) actually developed just this type of cancer from an apprenticeship in cabinetmaking. professionally, I have seen about four such cases over the years.
Otherwise, thanks for the thread - great idea!
Yours truly,
Prof Mopar

Dear old Man with a hat,
I'm an old man with a hat, too; and I'm also a physician down here in Aus. Be wary of fine wood dust, it has been definitively linked to the development of nasal cancers. One of my good buddies (a Ford expert, unfortunately) actually developed just this type of cancer from an apprenticeship in cabinetmaking. professionally, I have seen about four such cases over the years.
Otherwise, thanks for the thread - great idea!
Yours truly,
Prof Mopar
This is true for those working with plywoods in particular.

This is true for those working with plywoods in particular.

Interesting. I've heard of lumber lung but that's about it. Are these issues more common with "engineered" wood?

Interesting. I've heard of lumber lung but that's about it. Are these issues more common with "engineered" wood?
The adhesives in plywood are the main hazard to our health I believe and this does concern me because I’ve been pushing plywood through tablesaws for about 30 years.

I use solid oak boards for the base of the jack stands but i like the rotor idea a lot better
JCT. I've used 6"X8"X 8' Treated Landscape Timbers for 40 yearz. 5 @ 15" and 1 @ ah bit under 18" out of each timber so TWO 8'ers iz ah life time supply if you keep 'um dry and when they know you at the lumber yard all the cuts are free, lol. Left 'um with my toolz up north when we moved south. best I could find down here are 6"X6"X8'erz NOT. I oped for a 4 stand set of H.B. 6 tons, but I miss the 15" building blockz I had, AAARRRGGGHHHH, Jer

The adhesives in plywood are the main hazard to our health I believe and this does concern me because I’ve been pushing plywood through tablesaws for about 30 years.

So true, but the worst stuff is particle board which is more glue than wood.

I usually wear a standard paper mask when cutting a bunch this stuff. Couple years ago I built a Murphy bed using a bunch of 3/4 plywood that I got a really good price on at the lumber yard. Turned out the stuff was crap made in China. Who would ever think anyone would import wood from China? Anyhow the sheets started to warp and i had a heck of a time getting it straight. Worse was the smell when running it through the saw, had to double mask and even then it was gross. Word to the wise, never buy Chinese plywood!
:mad:

So much of it does come from China now. I have to specify no Chinese crap when I order it these days and gladly pay more for it.:mad:

I have a tip for those guy's with a car trailer, I don't remember if it was ever covered in a different thread.
A friend has a tool box mounted in the V of the frame rails, inside the box is a battery for his winch. On the frame rail of front of the trailer we mounted a receiver like this one.
upload_2019-6-2_14-45-3.jpeg

Then we mounted the winch on something like this.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrA-y4SdwrcTcEovey2AhX__QIWagjbbuFRaKy_AkMl42pf3ak3Q.jpg

When the winch is needed it comes out, get's pinned in place and it ready to go.

Another friend has a ball mounted on a plate and has a winch like this.

upload_2019-6-2_14-58-49.jpeg

You can pull a charge wire off the trailer wiring for the battery. When not in use just remember to charge the battery or get a battery tender.

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-2_14-58-26.jpeg
    upload_2019-6-2_14-58-26.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 129
I have a tip for those guy's with a car trailer, I don't remember if it was ever covered in a different thread.
A friend has a tool box mounted in the V of the frame rails, inside the box is a battery for his winch. On the frame rail of front of the trailer we mounted a receiver like this one.View attachment 291035
Then we mounted the winch on something like this.
View attachment 291064
When the winch is needed it comes out, get's pinned in place and it ready to go.

Another friend has a ball mounted on a plate and has a winch like this.

View attachment 291063
You can pull a charge wire off the trailer wiring for the battery. When not in use just remember to charge the battery or get a battery tender.
FB_IMG_1560137597013.jpg

I carry some detail spray and microfiber towels to do a quick clean up (bird crap etc.) at a cruise night or show as needed. To keep the towels clean, I use a large zip lock bag. I take it one step farther and roll the bag up with the zip lock open a little and squeeze the air out. This keeps the towels clean and they take up less room. I also use the sample size 2 1/2 oz bottles of detail spray that Adams gives out in the Carlisle goody bag, (although they are filled with a different brand now). That's enough to do the complete car at least twice. You also can get spray bottles for traveling at Wallyworld and fill with your favorite detail spray.

Fwv1zWr.jpg

my compressor isn't big enough to keep up with extended use of a die grinder. had to do some metal work and didn't want to grenade the compressor so i put a quarter inch collet in my roto zip and chucked the largest bit i have. works very well.
006.JPG
003.JPG

Most of us have heard about using cardboard to make a template when making a patch panel or small part.

This tip is about where to get free thin cardboard. Most of us have either a 12 pack box from pop or a 24 pack box from your favorite beverage. The cardboard is thin, cuts nice and best of all is it's free.

IMG_20190713_133106303.jpg

IMG_20190713_133115530.jpg

I burn so many of these, my wife loves diet Pepsi. I was making some templates for some patches for the trailer

Back