Shop tricks

Naa when it evaporates it's gone, couldn't detect any residue in the cap, just the same as when you have your clothes dry cleaned. Now when we used it in a un-ventilated shop to wash down brake dust if your sticking your nose into it or doing brakes all day long, yea I'm sure I got more exposure but then again we use to use the air hose right? heh
I really only worked with single post lifts and in visiting my friends shops with the new fangle double post or 4 poster I'd be more concerned about having to remember to not turn around and walk into the frigg'in thing. They are nice for working on drive trains I guess, but I never had too much problems with a single post doing even exhausts, really old timers will remember the 2 post axle lifts which I think are cool but even in my days I never came across one. Heck when I was at LA Harley Davidson we had nice little single post in the floor air lift for each mechanic bay (35). You just hook up a air hose tire chuck to bring the square metal pad to the frame, swing the J bolts around the frame rail, tighten the wingnut down and lift it up as high as you want.
Even though I worked in the parts department I had my own service bay as this was during the CHiPs days when they were riding Kawasaki's. 35 bays with lifts in every one. The shop in it's heyday must of been something else.
I have worked in a grease pit too, the old style that are outlawed everywhere now. (1 exit)
They use tetrachloroethene these days. I don't think they've used Carbon Tet in many years. Tetrachloroethene is a lot safer to use.

I used to use a friend's two post lift. I remember one day, they were putting a Pontiac Firebird up and one of his guys hadn't put one of the pads under the frame right. The car got to the top and started to rock. Everybody scattered except him and I. He grabbed the car and pushed up while I let the car down. Once it was down, he gave the other guys hell for doing it wrong and taking off...

My oldest son was selling Fords and he was walking across the shop when a truck fell off a lift right behind him. Scared the crap out of him.

fordlift-jpg.jpg

I found these lights at Harbor Fright. You should be able to catch a sale and get one for about $26. I have two. 390 Lumen Magnetic Slim Bar Folding LED Work Light They light up the world nicely and have a magnetic base to stick on the car. Two levels of light on the arm and a small light on the tip. Rechargeable.
View attachment 284857
View attachment 284858

Since this thread has come back to life, I have to give a long term review on these lights.

As said, they're great out of the box ... bright, magnetic, yadda yadda.

Long term, they didn't age well. A few drops to the floor from about 5 feet and both are not doing well. One has broken at the hinge and the switch has been acting up. Now the other won't charge right.

In fairness, I was pretty hard on them and they probably aren't made for really rough use. I'm shopping for some sort of replacement(s) now, but may get another for light (pun intended) use as they are really handy for that. Under the car, they don't survive hitting the floor more than a few times and I drop just about everything I touch.

63958_i-jpg.jpg

@Big_John ....I got this set-up for Christmas and have been using it almost daily since then...super strong magnetic base, with interchangeable heads, very handy unit, have even dropped it, or got knocked loose from it's magnetic perch, a few times and it's has no show of wear or damage.

4UZjDtsh.jpg

CZ5bh6gh.jpg

w23vOpyh.jpg

Back