Shop tricks

&$#@%

hbfhlfagbf721.jpg

How about dirt cheap bench top DC power supply? This is mine, made from an old computer power supply. It has 5 volts, good for checking your dash gauges that run on 5 volts and 12 volts for everything else. The newer ones will have 3.3 volts too, but mine is pretty old.

View attachment 345253

There's a bunch of videos and online sources that will tell you how to make them. Here's one that looks like what I did. I didn't include the LED light though.

DIY Bench Power Supply With Old Computer SMPS
Been doing this for years. Good cheap P/S for sure.

The credit for this crank stand goes to @Xenon. A piece of 2 x8 lumber, a saw and 8 3" wood screws.
I used it for the second time today cleaning this one up with 320/400 & 600 emery cloth. It's not even my crank.:rolleyes:
Crank stand1.jpg
Crank stand 2.jpg
Crank stand 3.jpg

I use a drain cleaning bladder on the end of my hose to reverse flush the cooling system. Lodge a medium bladder in the lower inlet of the water pump. It will swell and keep the majority of the water going into the engine instead of the floor.

Also when I get a bunch of big parts (suspension, brakes, etc) that are full of 50 year old grease and rust/dirt I pressure wash them and then hit them with oven cleaner and pressure was again. Doesn't remove the rust completely but everything else is clean and ready for the next step.

For temp or permanent heat shielding Ive used aluminum roof flashing and for really high heat add high heat mat I used these two things to make a shield between my headers and power steering pump. Worked great. Roof flashing has a lot of uses. I made a little shield over the bulkhead connector to protect from water.

I've never seen that type of press. I did have to pull a 327C from a '73 Mach I one time and drill a snapped off mounting bolt from the drivers side of the block while it waz hanging in the Cherry Picker tho'. WAY NOT FUN, but I got it out without messing up the threads, Jer

Since I bang my head a lot, and still seem to not knock any sense in it, I realized that I was gonna crack my head on my lift...

So I bought one of these. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B079KDWN62/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was going to just buy a bump cap, but these fit into a ball cap really nice. So far, it's working out well. I wouldn't say it would save you if the car fell on you, but for just the simple "didn't duck far enough", it's great.

61iWwxQtQRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Fabbed this up with some old bed frame.

Should make setting up center chunks a breeze, and should last for a long time too!

20200525_193536.jpg

20200525_193358.jpg

I was going to just buy a bump cap

Bah.... I used just a ball cap, it was enough to protect me from exhaust pipe clamps that can give you a cut if the ends are hack sawed off. My cap got to the point where people were asking me when I was going to change the oil on my cap. This was a favorite one that I kept using after about the time the free John Deere caps ended. I got to the point that I hated the cap because it reeked of diesel so I went and cleaned it like I did with many of my other old caps. I used a can of brake cleaner, not just the everyday type of brake cleaner but the stuff that is mostly Carbon tetrachloride (I take it is just dry cleaning fluid) which you probably can't get anymore. I searched and found a brand at PepBoys that was mostly carbon tet a couple of decades ago and it works a treat. Just get some old bath towels, soak the cap up real good, and then blot all the excess moisture out with the towels, rinse & repeat if necessary. Once the cap air's out it's clean as can be and it won't soften up the cardboard bill. Remember those plastic cap frame gadgets that the sold on TV infomercials so you could wash your caps in the dishwasher? heh don't be stupid...

Bah.... I used just a ball cap, it was enough to protect me from exhaust pipe clamps that can give you a cut if the ends are hack sawed off. My cap got to the point where people were asking me when I was going to change the oil on my cap. This was a favorite one that I kept using after about the time the free John Deere caps ended. I got to the point that I hated the cap because it reeked of diesel so I went and cleaned it like I did with many of my other old caps. I used a can of brake cleaner, not just the everyday type of brake cleaner but the stuff that is mostly Carbon tetrachloride (I take it is just dry cleaning fluid) which you probably can't get anymore. I searched and found a brand at PepBoys that was mostly carbon tet a couple of decades ago and it works a treat. Just get some old bath towels, soak the cap up real good, and then blot all the excess moisture out with the towels, rinse & repeat if necessary. Once the cap air's out it's clean as can be and it won't soften up the cardboard bill. Remember those plastic cap frame gadgets that the sold on TV infomercials so you could wash your caps in the dishwasher? heh don't be stupid...
Carbon Tet is pretty bad stuff. It affects the nervous system, kidneys and liver. Perhaps using it on your hat soaked in to your brain so it makes your head either really hard, or you just don't feel the pain... :poke: :lol:

Being 6'2", I've smashed my head into so many low beams in cellars and attics... The lift is a little different that it's steel and it freaking hurts to hit. The bump cap paid for itself just the other day... I walked into one of the beams so hard that it hurt my neck. My head was fine... My neck, with it's bad discs, arthritis etc. took a couple days to stop hurting.

Perhaps using it on your hat soaked in to your brain

Naa when it evaporates it's gone, couldn't detect any residue in the cap, just the same as when you have your clothes dry cleaned. Now when we used it in a un-ventilated shop to wash down brake dust if your sticking your nose into it or doing brakes all day long, yea I'm sure I got more exposure but then again we use to use the air hose right? heh
I really only worked with single post lifts and in visiting my friends shops with the new fangle double post or 4 poster I'd be more concerned about having to remember to not turn around and walk into the frigg'in thing. They are nice for working on drive trains I guess, but I never had too much problems with a single post doing even exhausts, really old timers will remember the 2 post axle lifts which I think are cool but even in my days I never came across one. Heck when I was at LA Harley Davidson we had nice little single post in the floor air lift for each mechanic bay (35). You just hook up a air hose tire chuck to bring the square metal pad to the frame, swing the J bolts around the frame rail, tighten the wingnut down and lift it up as high as you want.
Even though I worked in the parts department I had my own service bay as this was during the CHiPs days when they were riding Kawasaki's. 35 bays with lifts in every one. The shop in it's heyday must of been something else.
I have worked in a grease pit too, the old style that are outlawed everywhere now. (1 exit)

Back