So far as I dig deeper into my 383

The only way you're gonna straighten that is with a hammer and appropriate punches/supports etc. unless you should happen to have access to a hydraulic press - and given what I've seen of your efforts so far, that would surprise me.

Ok that's what I was thinking, I tried bending it but she just wouldn't move anymore than that. I think the photos I posted last night didn't show as much of the damage lol
Remove the old seal, turn the cover over, and on a flat surface use a drift and a hammer work the damage out. It does not have to be perfect, just back enough to get the seal installed.

Remove the old seal, turn the cover over, and on a flat surface use a drift and a hammer work the damage out. It does not have to be perfect, just back enough to get the seal installed.

For $38.97 (including a new seal already installed), I would not fool with the old cover.

It's only Dan's money, so I say get a new cover, seal included is a plus.
F-that get.a chrome one definitely needs a chrome one.
For $38.97 (including a new seal already installed), I would not fool with the old cover.
You still need the oil pan front section and the cover gasket and the WP housing to block gaskets, which comes as a kit with wow imagine that another seal now you have 2 seals. One to lose, and one in a Chinese cover.
If you are insistent on a new one spend the extra $5 on the Milodon one so you can be reasonably sure the timing tab and vibration dampener will not be occupying the same real estate.

Last edited:
I would fix it. But I am really cheap. You wound the bolts for the puller in too far. Knock the seal out from the front then turn the cover over on a block of wood so you do not bend them out the front. Smack those bolt divits back toward the front using a screwdriver or long bolt and a hammer, you just want to push them back into place not into next week. Steel has a very good memory and will want to go back like it was. If you get it close it will be fine, those seals hardly ever leak, and a little black ultra RTV is your friend. You will need some at the corners of the valley pan anyway.

Heyoldman sent you my addy, hey if people want to send me there old parts it will be like the Johhny Cash song one piece at a time lol.

Oh crap! Forget all the timing cover fixes. PM me your address and I'll sent you a good used one for free.

A generous offer for sure but..........you might want to install a new seal just to make sure the cover doesn't get mashed up when FuryDan tries his hand at installing one. LOL Just busting your balls FuryDan - could not help myself.

You're doing good, this how many of us learned - hands on and messing things up so we know exactly how things really work instead of how we thought they should work. LOL

Even if you try putting it on the other way (dish inwards) you'll discover that it will rub against the T chain before it bottoms against the T gear. Only goes one way.

Jim lol, yes trial and error :)

FuryDan: I would like to make one more suggestion to you. Get this book:

How to Rebuild Big-Block MOPAR Engines

The book walks through the removal, rebuild and re-install of a Chrysler 383 engine, and it covers every thing you are doing or are trying to do with your engine. The book has helped me enormously during the project to remove a 383 and install of a 440 engine in my '66 300.

Back