So far as I dig deeper into my 383

So heads are all torque down the 70 foot pounds as well as everything else. I did notice that I was unable to set the crankshaft bolt to 130 foot pounds bc I was just spinning the crank. Now I haven't installed the push rods/lifters and rockers yet so I'm assuming this is why? But even with those installed will I still be able to tighten to 135?

20180318_155947.jpg

Screenshot_20180318-160556.png

I usually hold at the flywheel end to allow tightening although that's a lot easier with two - maybe your youngster would appreciate being helpful? Otherwise, pull a spark plug and feed a length of nylon rope in the hole (not all of it) then rotate the crank until the rope stops it from turning and tighten away. (If I did this I would put a big knot on the end that wasn't going in the engine to ensure it couldn't all play follow the leader)

One method can be (prior to the rocker system being installed) feed nylon rope into the spark plug hole, the idea is to create a wedge on top of the piston to stop the engine from turning, this should hold things steady till that balancer bolt is torqued. Other methods involve accessing the ring gear section of the engine. here things need to be "jammed" some how. Others will have some good ideas also.

Ooo dang, that seems crazy lol. This isn't a blinker fluid fool's lol. Ok I see what you're say, the rope will stop the piston from going to full top center allowing me to turn the crank. So just basic small rope then bc I no the spark plug hole isn't terribly big. Ok will give that a try thanks guys .
Dan

So for some reason when I try putting the crankshaft pulley back on the bolts don't want to align up and want to go in sideways and so forth? Is the crank bolt and washer correct ?

Screenshot_20180319-163503.png

Make sure the offset on the bolts is correctly aligned - should be one hole that's not evenly spaced, if you start with that one in the wrong spot none of the others will fit properly.

Make sure the offset on the bolts is correctly aligned - should be one hole that's not evenly spaced, if you start with that one in the wrong spot none of the others will fit properly.
Rotate the pulley until ALL the bolt holes line up.

I measured and got it, who on earth decided to make two holes a hair off lol. Thanks again guys,
Dan

Good morning guys, so as you can see it's coming together. In the past on my other cars I had full roller setups and had to adjust valve lash with a gauge. As you can see this is the stock setup and I got everything back together and my book states only to tighten down to 30 ft pounds is that it? Nothing else other that, just seems to easy .

Good morning guys, so as you can see it's coming together. In the past on my other cars I had full roller setups and had to adjust valve lash with a gauge. As you can see this is the stock setup and I got everything back together and my book states only to tighten down to 30 ft pounds is that it? Nothing else other that, just seems to easy .
After turning wrenches for 45 years, I found out there is no engine easier to work on than a Chrysler V8. Small block or Big block.

After turning wrenches for 45 years, I found out there is no engine easier to work on than a Chrysler V8. Small block or Big block.
Small block GM, alternator connects to the side if the block, WTF? By far the biggest reason I prefer ChryCo engines. So simple, I can build one!

So is the 30ft pounds correct then;)
Yes. Since you will be installing the shaft make sure you have the spacers in the correct location. The two larger ones go in the middle locations. so from the end it is small, large, small, large, small. When you install the shaft, make sure also the oiling holes are to the bottom, towards the head, this is how the valvetrain get lubrication. DO NOT TIGHTEN the bolts down at once, tighten them all in a slight manner, this will help keep from bottoming the lifters. When you get the engine back together and start it, a little lifter noise is normal until the engine bleeds the air out of the lifters.

Got it, I did look back at me photos and saw the sm/lg/sm etc... So traintech if I hear you correctly your saying the shaft that the rockers are on has a oil hole and this oil hole needs to be pointing towards the heads? I didn't remember seeing it but will look again. Can I assume if I do not see this hole facing up it's in the correct position?

Got it, I did look back at me photos and saw the sm/lg/sm etc... So traintech if I hear you correctly your saying the shaft that the rockers are on has a oil hole and this oil hole needs to be pointing towards the heads? I didn't remember seeing it but will look again. Can I assume if I do not see this hole facing up it's in the correct position?
Yes the oil holes will face down and the oil comes out of the shaft, lubes the rocker arm, then lubes the upper pushrod.

Last edited:
On the intake manifolds I've seen to fit a 4b they don't have the bolt holes drilled for the coil, throttle cable adaptor and so On?

Back