Stock 383 2 bbl to 4 bbl swap.

This was on the valley pan. Must have been something to help minimize heat transfer?
20161025_193037.jpg

and this whole time I thought it was to keep my burrito warm! :rolleyes:

Which carb gasket will I need since it will be sitting on a dual plane intake? the one with 4 holes or the one large hole?

Also, I can't seem to find a set of intake bolts for A/C equipped...? I guess i could go to Fastenal and buy what I need...

Last edited:
Will has regressed back to 1970. I'm going to start calling him Dr. Who. lol ! !

I considered calling the Admiral "TARDIS", but didn't want to have to explain it all the time.....

A TARDIS is a product of the advanced technology of the Time Lords, an extraterrestrial civilization to which the the Doctor belongs. A properly maintained and piloted TARDIS can transport its occupants to any point in time and space. The interior of a TARDIS is much larger than its exterior. It can blend in with its surroundings using the ship's "chameleon circuit".

The purpose of the tinfoil wrapped insulation was to act as an engine noise suppressant, it does look ugly. I'm sure you'll file it in the appropriate recycle bin.

Well you can learn something every day I guess, the pad is used for noise AND heat related problems, thanks max1196! . I've always been told it was for the heat transfer issues, I stand corrected

I considered calling the Admiral "TARDIS", but didn't want to have to explain it all the time.....

A TARDIS is a product of the advanced technology of the Time Lords, an extraterrestrial civilization to which the the Doctor belongs. A properly maintained and piloted TARDIS can transport its occupants to any point in time and space. The interior of a TARDIS is much larger than its exterior. It can blend in with its surroundings using the ship's "chameleon circuit".
And, of course, your lovely redhead companion .
It's all coming together now. . .
thinking.gif

So what's the name of the thingy to make this connect to that?
20161027_200149.jpg

That fitting is designed for a rubber fuel line with a clamp. I am not sure if you remove that fitting if the NPT fuel line fits but I would try it

You need a 5/16ths carburetor fuel line inlet connector specufic to the carburetor's manufacturer.

4.jpg

NPT fuel line
It's not NPT. It's a 5/16x1/2-20 tube fitting.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the same fuel inlet fitting is on every carter carb they ever made what kind of 2 bbl did you have?

I'm pretty sure the same fuel inlet fitting is on every carter carb they ever made what kind of 2 bbl did you have?
This is a 1406 in the pic, which is replacing the Stromberg. Both the old fuel line and the new one in the pic have the same size fitting on the end. I'm guessing I'll unscrew the hose fitting on the carb and use what Commando showed.

I'm guessing I'll unscrew the hose fitting on the carb and use what Commando showed
Yes, if you had a old carter sitting around you could steal it from there. Went back and looked at 2 bbl it looks like it may be the larger fitting, it may fit, free to try.

Never mind I was looking at wrong thing

Having trouble finding intake manifold bolt set for A/C equipped cars. Every set I see has all the bolts the same length.
So I went to Fastenal and pieced together my own set. The downside is, to match my old bolts I would need 1/4" shorter or longer which Fastenal doesn't stock. They only go with 1/2" increments.

Will that make any difference? Since I'm not sure how much room there is in the block...
AND the only grade 8 they carry is yellow zinc...

If I can find a prepackaged set with the three different lengths I need, that would be nice. I think even an OEM set would work.

Last night's progress. Valley pan gaskets glued on and intake cleaned up and painted the logo. All my parts for the linkage showed up too.
20161027_211033_1.jpg

Having trouble finding intake manifold bolt set for A/C equipped cars. Every set I see has all the bolts the same length.
So I went to Fastenal and pieced together my own set. The downside is, to match my old bolts I would need 1/4" shorter or longer which Fastenal doesn't stock. They only go with 1/2" increments.

Will that make any difference? Since I'm not sure how much room there is in the block...
AND the only grade 8 they carry is yellow zinc...

If I can find a prepackaged set with the three different lengths I need, that would be nice. I think even an OEM set would work.
They don't need to be grade 8, at 30 ft lbs I think grade 5 would suffice. If you tell me exactly what you need I could probably put together an oem set for you. I still have a lot of engine bolts in my stash and if I have them it'd be $12 plus shipping.

Back