Tilt-Tele Column Install

cbodyseth

Reaction score
Hi,

I will be installing a tilt-tele column in my '77 Newport. Right now it has the standard non-tilt column and steering wheel (two spoke).

I bought a tilt-tele column, but do not have it yet, so I was doing a little research in the meantime in my FSM and '77 parts book.

In the parts book there is a listing under the tilt-tele column that is not shown in the picture. It is #56A and part number: 4055 081 called a Steering Column Switch Wiring Assembly. Is this some kind of adapter harness?

Does anyone know if this is generally attached to the column or a piece that I would also need to get off a tilt-tele car? I want to do this change over the right way without having to hack and chop the wiring.

I searched for an image of what it would look like compared to my non-tilt column plug and had no luck.
Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, it's an adapter/jumper harness. You have to get that harness from the donor car. Hopefully it wasn't chopped or cut. It'll plug right in to your existing plug.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Ok, thanks.

I bought it from Murray Park, who I have heard is a reputable guy, so hopefully it will be included/not chopped

I have a gold interior, the most popular choice for Jasmine Yellow cars or at least every other yellow Newport/New Yorker I've seen.

Post up some pics please, I know we all want to see it. I think we've all spent a little money with Murry B..

Thanks,

Its nice to find a site that actually has a section just for '74-78 c-bodies.

When I get the column Ill be sure to post some pics.

newport normal 4-3-12.jpg
Here is a picture of the entire car from last summer.

newport normal 4-3-12.jpg

Nice! Look at that, no vinyl top! Sharp car.

Picked up the column from Murray. I'm an undertaker, so I don't have a lot of time off. I also keep the car at my Dad's barn which is just outside of Rochester NY, so its a 1.25 hr drive to get over and work on anything. Ill snap some pics during the process and post an update once its in.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and friendly welcome.

Was that car at the Liverpool show last week? I think I remember seeing it there.

I'm in Marcellus.

Was that car at the Liverpool show last week? I think I remember seeing it there.

I'm in Marcellus.

No, I was not there. Must have been another car like mine.....which is unusual. I was there a couple of years ago and wanted to go this year, but I spent Sat. going out to Murray Parks to pick up the column and helping my Dad on Sun.

I'm new to CNY (I'm from Rochester), are there any cruisenites you would recommend in the Syracuse area Big_John?

Here are some other Formals I owned. Unfortunately they were NY cars and then sat (sunken up to their floors in the gravel driveway) for 15 years in my adoptive grandmothers house before I got them.

'75 Imperial

Virginia's Chryslers 001.jpg

'76 NYB

Virginia's Chryslers 020.jpg

'75 NYB

Virginia's Chryslers 033.jpg

Virginia's Chryslers 001.jpg

Virginia's Chryslers 020.jpg

Virginia's Chryslers 033.jpg

Back