What highway temperature should a 73 440 run at

LeBaron1973

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My friend Perry asked me to inquire what temperature range a 1973 imperial 440 should run at, as ours is running hot.

Around 190 or ???

She made the 1500 miles in good shape though used a quart of oil every 400 miles so probably requires an engine rebuild, but our mechanic will advise.

190 isn't too hot. What was the air temperature during the drive?

Mine runs at 195 (same as the thermostat) even in bumper to bumper traffic at 105 degrees in Carlisle with the A/C on full blast. Never had an overheating cooling problem. The needle stays 1/8" above the low average line on my Formal temp gauge. How do I know it's running 195 degrees??? I have shot the radiator a thousand times with my thermal gun...

Mine runs at 195 (same as the thermostat) even in bumper to bumper traffic at 105 degrees in Carlisle with the A/C on full blast. Never had an overheating cooling problem. The needle stays 1/8" above the low average line on my Formal temp gauge. How do I know it's running 195 degrees??? I have shot the radiator a thousand times with my thermal gun...

For those that don't have a thermal gun, get one. Harbor Freight has one and I have been happy with it.

Alan

Yep. That cheapo HF gun was a great addition to my tool box thanks to you guys advocating it so much. Worth it!

I just added another little gem, in fact, this morning:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221863390998?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

$_57.JPG

FIVE DOLLARS AND THIRTY SEVEN CENTS ???? A No brainer!

The thermostat spec was 195 degrees F. For many cars that use that thermostat temp, the middle line on the gauge is about 200 degrees, which is fine with a 16lb pressure cap. If it starts to run hotter on the highway, the bottom of the radiator is probably getting clogged and needs (for me, by experience) getting a new one of the proper size. Check for proper fan clutch condition and operation, too, for general principles.

CBODY67

Yep. That cheapo HF gun was a great addition to my tool box thanks to you guys advocating it so much. Worth it!

I just added another little gem, in fact, this morning:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221863390998?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

$_57.jpg

FIVE DOLLARS AND THIRTY SEVEN CENTS ???? A No brainer!

Stan,

I have one of these made by Actron. Tried to use it to find the blockage in the A/C ducts and heater box. I was very disappointed with the display results....couldn't see or decipher a damn thing! It is my own damn fault for not opening up the heater box when I had the damn dash tore apart!

m001573470_sc7?$splssku$.jpg

Last edited:
Stan,

I have one of these made by Actron. Tried to use it to find the blockage in the A/C ducts and heater box. I was very disappointed with the display results....couldn't see or decipher a damn thing! It is my own damn fault for not opening up the heater box when I had the damn dash tore apart!

View attachment 127001
Sorry that your inspection camera turned out to be crap. That's the trouble with all the manufacturing going out of the country in search of becoming as cheap as possible. Everything is hit or miss today, mostly miss.
It may be bcause yours is an All in One unit. Mine plugged into a tablet or laptop for its display.

Sorry that your inspection camera turned out to be crap. That's the trouble with all the manufacturing going out of the country in search of becoming as cheap as possible. Everything is hit or miss today, mostly miss.
It may be bcause yours is an All in One unit. Mine plugged into a tablet or laptop for its display.

Yep....win some and lose some.

Stan,

View attachment 127001
Problem is usually video quality... I bought a cheap one similar to Stan's for a quick check of the house's drain pipes... 50' and under $30 several years ago... too crappy to use on an engine though.

We have some Snap on video scopes at work that are much better, but the cheapies at HF are catching up to the quality (5 years later). Worst part about the EB versions is you need a mirror kit to check cylinders and enough resolution to make out problems.

Kind of funny on the timing of this topic thread coming back.
I had a Cystoscopy procedure done Friday. The hi-res display was amazing. :wideyed:

My Dr has been trying to get me to have one done for the last 12 years.

I guess I'll get it done sometime this year.

Back