What Paints are the best for restoring engines?

SFMajor

Reaction score
I am gathering all the parts for a restore on my 318 Cid. For anyone who has re-painted their engines, which brands worked the best. If there is a thread already posted on this site, please direct me to it.

Thanks,

Mopar performance is hard to beat excellent coverage correct colors local dodge dealer. I have also been pretty happy with chrysler blue that I bought out of local napa store, don't know if brand changes in different parts of the country though.

NAPA has Chrysler Blue? Damn. I've been buying it from Summit. Price is OK but the "handling" charge....

Yeah labeled as such,I originally bought it to try on underside of intake and valley pan for corrosion protection so i could finish assembly looked good so i went back and bought more and finished painting whole thing.

As for color keep in mind that some 318 were red, not sure when they switched.
My 69 is red. When I painted the engine in my Barracuda I didn't like the red that was being sold so used it to cover the engine then went over it with International Harvester red.

2009-11-21_35.jpg

Alan

I would avoid the POR 15 engine paint. The Chrysler blue went on fine, but discoloured to look like the turquoise colour over time with exposure to heat.

My 318 is Chrysler Red. Although it looks more like a red orange right now. I know that from 1969-1971, there was a Police Only 318 4 barrel in H-Orange. I will be modifying the internals of the 318. So, not sure if I will stay with Chrysler Red or go with H-Orange. I do like the idea of IH Red though, never thought of that. Then there is a part of me that says, keep the original paint too. Hmm! decisions, decisions!

Thanks on the advice, I'll look at MOPAR and some others, I have heard about POR 15 and its after appearance.

My 318 is Chrysler Red. Although it looks more like a red orange right now. I know that from 1969-1971, there was a Police Only 318 4 barrel in H-Orange. I will be modifying the internals of the 318. So, not sure if I will stay with Chrysler Red or go with H-Orange. I do like the idea of IH Red though, never thought of that. Then there is a part of me that says, keep the original paint too. Hmm! decisions, decisions!

Keep in mind that just because Mopar sells it doesn't make it correct, I do not like their red.

My 67 Barracuda, International Harvester red
2008-07-06_58.jpg

Alan

Back