Wheels and Tires

David68Newport

Reaction score
Was looking for wheel and tire ideas. Post pictures if you got um. Tire and wheel sizes that work. I have a 68 Newport sedan.

Hey guys @amazinblue82 started another thread on specific wheel tire size that would fit each model. I am on my phone and can't "save and paste and post" etc with my fat thumbs. If someone knows the thread and could post it for the OP maybe that would help too.

Last edited:
What are you going after? Same size tires all around, big and little set, fattest tire you can stuff in the rear?

You can go with 245 or 255/60/15 all around for a meaty look, or 235's for a more factory look. I have a 275/60/14 on an 8" rim out back on a 66 Polara, they do fit. 235/70/15 on another Polara. It all depends on what you want to achieve appearance-wise.

If you want to go with a 14" tire, your options are limited mostly to a 235 size.

Right now I just want a wider tire all around. I like the look of torque trust and baby moons. I like this guys setup not sure what he is running?
Wheels

IMHO slab side cars are looking the best with 15 inch orig wheels/caps......

What are you going after? Same size tires all around, big and little set, fattest tire you can stuff in the rear?

You can go with 245 or 255/60/15 all around for a meaty look, or 235's for a more factory look. I have a 275/60/14 on an 8" rim out back on a 66 Polara, they do fit. 235/70/15 on another Polara. It all depends on what you want to achieve appearance-wise.

If you want to go with a 14" tire, your options are limited mostly to a 235 size.

Are you running those 8" wides up front to?

AD9A7BDE-4EE1-4DF2-9A6D-CC34226C2E4D.jpeg
Was looking for wheel and tire ideas. Post pictures if you got um. Tire and wheel sizes that work. I have a 68 Newport sedan.
I have 17x8 all the way around

I would say the ideal wheel combination is the factory 14s" from an original factory standpoint, but those are becoming obsolete and I would say if your WW tires (should you get a car with them) are rotted, just replace them with the 15"s. Many 15s come with the period correct looking white wall sides anyways.
I have 215/70/r15 wheels. Some members will think these are too small, but I would say they fit fine with the look, would probably actually make some work easier, if nothing else getting to the brake lines wouldn't be nearly as hard as on a bigger wheel (without jacking the car up, that is).
I have 15x7 rims (and the original 14" rims), but I plan on getting the factory standard 15x6 and using my turbine wheel covers for that along with the whitewalls. Fits the formal look of the car to my opinion.

6wYpFfr.jpg

pJOh494.jpg

Hey guys @amazinblue82 started another thread on specific wheel tire size that would fit each model. I am on my phone and can't "save and paste and post" etc with my fat thumbs. If someone knows the thread and could post it for the OP maybe that would help too.

Exactly What Wheels & Tires Fit C Bodies?

Folks. that's it for me. Read over 400 threads. Sure I missed some photos and matching descriptions.

Using posts #5, #19, and #24, and links therein, I made the charts at the very bottom of this post. The equivalent diameter tire, using different diameter wheels.
View attachment 400686

Say it another way, every tire listed in a single the chart is the same diameter ---25, 26, 27, 28, or 29 (these tall babies are moving into truck tire territory) inches tall. You will notice the wheel diameter in each chart is 15, 16, 17, or 18 inches (not yet "donk" territory if that's your thing). Next graphic illustrates the idea

View attachment 400703

Presumably, to make it all work, a backspacing between 4.0 and 5.0 inches would work most often and therefore be a good place to start planning for.

Higher likelihood that, without permanent vehicle modifications (or removable stuff like spacers. airshocks, etc), and after you choose a wheel diameter and width (11-inch tread width un-inflated), calculate clearances and speedo effects, some combination of wheel & tire on these following charts will "fit" your C-body.

Notice, the word was "likelihood", and not "certainty". Respectfully, plesae take the extra time to plan for your car -- even if it is the same make/model of something you saw on this forum or in person.

Experience has painfully taught me to "measure twice, cut once" as that old saw would apply here too when you wanna move off the OEM "as-built" specs. Heck, if you arent the original owner of your C body, no telling what's been done to/changed on your C over the 43-55 years since it rolled outta the factory.

Obviously, there are really small, tall, skinny sizes listed that most people won't use in ordinary driving. Maybe not so obvious, as section widths get around 275+, aspect ratios get around 50+, that's getting to be BIG, TALL, and/or FAT tire -- moving into a size territory where chances of fitment without mods goes down.

Anyway, we haven't seen the last of the questions -- "what's the biggest .. , "what will fit ... Some of us will still roll our eyes at such questions. It's all cool. But if we keep adding real examples with descriptions to this thread and others, it may help us "grow the love" for our beloved C's.

Meantime, I will keep posting pics/info as I run across it, or do stuff to my own cars. Hope a few of you all do too.:)

View attachment 400688
View attachment 400687 View attachment 400689 View attachment 400690 View attachment 400691

Back