White walls on road wheels: Wide or Narrow

This must be a limo. Tire size equates to P255-75. See:
www.vintagetire.com

Dave

Looks to be 235 in a 75 series and 255 in a 70 series. Thanks for the link.

9966B66B-08F0-4367-827F-07619DAF6BCC.jpeg

Difference between 225 and 235 overall height is about 1.4”

That’s almost 3/4 “ increase in height... noticeable.

I just bought some 235’s for the wagon about 3 months ago and just decided to do the same hankooks in the same size for the NYB

I’ve had classic tires and vogue wide whites and they always developed flat spots after a week of parking. They rode lumpy for at least a day....

These hankooks are much less expensive and the ride is superbly smooth... and isn't that what these cars are all about.

Agreed -- looks great! I have looked for places selling road wheels. I musn't be very gifted, because I have found none so far. Suggestions?

See you at Carlisle. You WILL find a set there. How perfect you want them is the problem here. I am looking for a GREAT set for my blue car. I find 1-6s on a scale to 10 at Carlisle. They are there, but not great sets

Agreed -- looks great! I have looked for places selling road wheels. I musn't be very gifted, because I have found none so far. Suggestions?

AND its not about being gifted. You havent been looking very long. You have to keep looking many times a day sometimes for months .

AND its not about being gifted. (...) You have to keep looking many times a day sometimes for months .
OK good to know. Does that mean that no one makes/sells good reproductions?

OK good to know. Does that mean that no one makes/sells good reproductions?
Road Wheel buyer's guide: 15x6 w/o centers and rings... Grab them @$20-25ea when you can

15x6 full set (rings and centers)... I found a set of drivers for $200 last year at Carlisle... helped out a member who was looking. See them with much higher asking prices from time to time, but a little ring damage and pitting on the centers is common. Without grading on a 1-10 scale, I call those drivers.

If you find the price at a quality you can live with, do not hesitate... they will be gone when the next person finds them.

The last of them in 15x7 are very hard to find... expect to have to pay. If you're impatient, there is a set for sale right now.

Edit: these are NOT 15x7. For Sale - early 70s 15 inch c body rallye wheels he has incorrect rings, but they would be a low dollar starting point available right now.

I paid $375 for these, shipped, and am still glad I jumped fast...
picture-1926-jpg.jpg

Early centers are even tougher to find.

Last edited:
Occasionally, people offer NOS centers and trim rings for sale here on FCBO. Of course they are very expensive but worth every penny for NOS quality parts. The road wheels themselves you will have to restore them yourself. Not that hard if the chrome is in good shape.

A lot of Chevy trim rings out there being offered as Mopar. Have to be very careful when buying them.

Back