Why you can't buy a new small truck.

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
A lot of you guys know I have a '10 Ford Ranger. It is the perfect truck for me... I don't tow or haul anything big anymore so I don't need or want a big truck. Most of my hauling is branches and brush to the dump or maybe some plywood from Lowes Depot. I don't want a big truck... I don't need it.

I've wondered why Detroit or even Asia haven't sold a compact truck in the USA and after watching this, I understand. It's stupid and counterproductive, but I understand it...

And no political rants please. Let's keep this in General Discussion if possible.

Here is a small truck fer ya, BJ... :thumbsup:
1689013042404.png

A lot of you guys know I have a '10 Ford Ranger. It is the perfect truck for me... I don't tow or haul anything big anymore so I don't need or want a big truck. Most of my hauling is branches and brush to the dump or maybe some plywood from Lowes Depot. I don't want a big truck... I don't need it.

I've wondered why Detroit or even Asia haven't sold a compact truck in the USA and after watching this, I understand. It's stupid and counterproductive, but I understand it...

And no political rants please. Let's keep this in General Discussion if possible.
My 2 96 Dakota's were beyond repair from rust out. They still run like a top but not too safe to drive with 3' long holes in the frames. I looked around for another Dakota and couldn't find one that wasn't rusted out like the 2 I own. I stumbled on a nice Colorado (I know it's a Chevy but not much choice) It's too bad Mopar quit making the small truck. GM still does and Ford reintroduced the Ranger and I am seeing plenty of them and the GM's all over. I'm with you, I don't want a full sized. Besides, Ram doesn't make an extended cab. Just a regular cab or a 4 door. (with a damn short box) Rant over, thanks for listening.

Those are packed in a shipping container and brought here but they are damn near impossible to register in the US. They don't pass US regulations. A fun chore truck for out on the farm.
I think I saw one on a local Craigslist a couple years ago. They might fall in the same loophole on age that the tuner guys use to import older cars.

Probably worthless in a half inch of snow.

The video makes complete sense.

25 years or older and you can import anything you want. That's why you are seeing Japanese Domestic Market only cars from the 90's popping up everywhere.

Interesting video, sounds completely illogical to me and I'll leave it at that.
This is why I have older foreign pickups, (3 of them) I love em. There's quite a following of the Datsun, Toyotas, many are updating the drivetrains to modern high hp turbo ed engines.
20220531_154119.jpg

The problem we ran into was we couldn't build enough compact trucks to bring the costs of production down low enough to make the smaller model attractive. We were building 300K full size trucks and 30K compacts. Economies of scale dictate that it was costing more to build a compact than a full size. It made no business sense as the compact truck buyer wanted similar options in the small truck that the larger truck had. I remember having new Dakotas on the lot that were higher priced than the heavily discounted Ram 1500's. While I would love to see another compact truck in the lineup it would have to be a cost savings over the 1500 to make it feasible. A Ram 50 version based on the STLA platform would work IMHO

I used to have an S10 for my work truck. I beat the crap out of that thing and it always came back for more. The thing I couldn't stand: that little 2.2l got the same mileage as my 4x4 Duramax and couldn't get out of its own way. The Japanese trucks are definitely where it's at for the compacts.

I saw this coming 2008 when it was announced they would start using footprint, AKA vehicle size. I saw that it would incentivize larger vehicles, and of course hoped for a return to C bodies, LOL but as you can see that's not what's happened.

It's worth noting by the way that we are the only country in the world that does fuel economy like this, (on the supply vs demand side). Go read some old Motor Trend magazines from the era where Cafe was being debated, and you'll see that all the manufacturers were pleading for a gas tax, as is done in Europe.

What Cafe standards have done is make sure that American companies would become uncompetitive in the highest profit segments, where they were traditionally strongest. That is unless they used the loophole that trucks provided until the change to footprint Style versus truck / car.

The video also fails to point out that manufacturers who sell less than 400,000 total units per year are exempted from Cafe penalties. That basically leaves Mercedes, BMW, Rolls-Royce, Etc to build whatever type of gas hog vehicle will sell to the American Elite who can afford them. None of these manufacturers sell anywhere close to 400,000 total units annually. However a company like General Motors, which sells millions of vehicles every year in the United States must include Cadillac sales which might top 100,000 in a good year. Thus while the European manufacturers were free to ship in as many as class and 7 Series Gas Hogs as they wanted during the 1970s - 2000s, Cadillac was forced to completely retool it's lineup into toy like luxury cars that would meet the cafe standard. Or in another case that strikes closer to home, the Dodge Viper which sold 2500 units in its best year ever, incurred profit eating penalties for the parent company, which sold millions of vehicles per year. By the way during the entire time of Daimler Chrysler ownership, Mercedes sales were still viewed under the 400,000 rule. This exemption was even called the coastal exemption, because it was lobbied for by wealthy auto dealers on both coasts who did not want to see their sales evaporate, has had happened for Cadillac, Lincoln and even Chrysler.

I don't think I'm really being political, because this obviously wasn't an issue with any one particular party. Our bureaucratic state regularly kneecaps our Industries. It's almost as if our politicians are on the payrolls of foreign governments. If you're not on that payroll, and choose to level the playing field.. or at least attempts to.. they will get you six ways till Sunday as I believe one of our Great American legislators was quoted saying.

Now here's a photo of a car, just so people will read the post.

1187038607.jpg

these mid to late 30's through the 40's dodge pu's had small cabs but used the same track as a b body , but weighted under 3000 lbs , even modified with a v8 auto . and fuel mileage was not great with those old flatheads , well the footprint would be large but not for passengers or cargo

DSC08177.JPG

DSC04743.JPG

@Big_John — 6ft bed OK?

IMG_0514.png

the 2024 Tacoma Xtracab model seems even closer to what you have in mind. From MotorTrend:

“The 2024 Tacoma keeps its stubbier cab and long bed choices, but with a twist: Last year's entry-level, extended-cab body has lost its set of vestigial rear doors, leaving the new XtraCab Tacoma a true two-door, as if it's a regular cab. Look closely at the XtraCab, though, and you'll notice it looks as though it should have rear doors, given its small quarter windows and ample space behind the front seats—it simply doesn't. It also doesn't even have rear seats, not even the fold-out jump seats in the previous-generation extended-cab Tacomas.”

I still have the 1989 Dodge Dakota that my dad bought brand new off the dealer lot at a dealer in Covina, CA. It is an LE model with a regular cab and an 8' bed and all the options including the deluxe interior, a/c, stereo am/fm radio that both still work although the Denso a/c compressor has been replaced once. It also has power windows that have never failed - a real rarity in those days! That truck is amazing to me and its 8' bed is just what I need. When I get C body bumpers straightened and rechromed, they fit right in - no issue. It has the 3.9L V6 and that too is an amazing engine - it has electronic throttle body fuel injection and it runs flawlessly every time with no driveability problems at all ever. It now has 200K miles on it and nothing I do to it can kill it so far. The engine has never been rebuilt or the automatic transmission. It also has rack and pinion steering that really tracks excellent. That long bed is really handy. Being in CA all its existence, it has no rust and original paint - but that early basecoat / clearcoat paint is in bad shape. So my next step will be to get it painted. I absolutely love that truck and it still drives like new. Chrysler spent way too much money making that truck it seems to me since no other Chrysler product I have ever owned has been so reliable and it is really nice to drive. The seats have never been worked on and are still like new after all these years - even the foam! I am truly baffled that it ever came out of Detroit. No Toyota truck I have been in was nearly as good or held up as well despite all the hoopla about Toyota quality. It will very likely still be around when I am gone........................................there was a time maybe up until maybe 20 years ago that whenever I was refueling it that gardeners would come up to me and ask whether I would be willing to sell it - they knew what good trucks they were.

Last edited:
I just bought a 93 Mazda B2600i 4x4 X-cab with a 115k .
It was under the tree with the Triple Pickle Imperial . Super straight ! Wont bring it home till the Imperial is ready .
IMG_9083.jpeg

Back