WTB Pre-73 gear reduction starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

monaco75

Reaction score
Contact seller
Looking for a good working pre '73 gear reduction starter. Anyone out there have one? LOVE the sound of em, and don't care if they are inferior to the newer stuff. I believe the one I'm looking for is the 1.5hp unit? I have the newer 1.8hp unit on my 75 360 currently.. However it just does not give that great sound.

My old newport had one, damn I miss firing that thing to life!

http://youtu.be/5ZrXX3HdxVY

Thanks!
-zac
Dukezac@hotmail.com

It doesn't need to be a pre 73 starter. My 74 Imperials sound like that too. But the coupe has the best starter sound of all my cars sounds just like the TV shows from my youth.

Thanks Mr C. I was under the impression (from what I read on the wonderfull internet) was that late 73 was when they changed to the 1.8hp starter, which is what I believe would be on my '75. Regardless still not the sound I'm looking for. My newport was a 73, and had the same sound above...

I have a couple of those laying around, $30 plus freight, umm send me your zip code and i can work out shipping if you are interested, plus i will post a pic tomorrow too, i will also test it on the car battery first.

I have a couple of those laying around, $30 plus freight, umm send me your zip code and i can work out shipping if you are interested, plus i will post a pic tomorrow too, i will also test it on the car battery first.

Sweet

32043 is my zip. Thanks Wollfen!

Hey Zac, i got two starters out and they are dirty but operational, the one on the left is out of a 72 440 car and has a remanufactured sticker on it so it has newer internals for sure. The cost of freight is like 13 or 14 bucks so lets say an even $40 all up for one of the starters of your choice, cheers,
Gary

Hey Zac, i got two starters out and they are dirty but operational, the one on the left is out of a 72 440 car and has a remanufactured sticker on it so it has newer internals for sure. The cost of freight is like 13 or 14 bucks so lets say an even $40 all up for one of the starters of your choice, cheers,
Gary
starters.jpg

starters.jpg

Funny , Our fearless mod Gary posted this same video a long time ago . His point was about the starter sound. I think it was Gary.....

I love the "flipper" sounding starters.

Gary
View attachment 29025

Thank you Gary!! I sent you a PM.

Funny , Our fearless mod Gary posted this same video a long time ago . His point was about the starter sound. I think it was Gary.....

I love the "flipper" sounding starters.

I was waiting for him to chime in.. lol I was pretty surprised when he went with a new mini starter a while ago. I know we share the same love for the sound of it.

Waddya got for pricing on a mini?

Isn't this the same starters that you can get at your local parts store new or rebuilt?

I went through a dozen turn signal flasher units till I found the right "plink, plink, plink" sound for my Barracuda.
It is something that I remember quite well with my Grandparents and this car.

Alan

Isn't this the same starters that you can get at your local parts store new or rebuilt?

I went through a dozen turn signal flasher units till I found the right "plink, plink, plink" sound for my Barracuda.
It is something that I remember quite well with my Grandparents and this car.

Alan

Not around here it seems. They list the same starter for all the "old" mopars at the stores. That is the one I have in the car currently...

There's a small frame starter and a large frame starter. The small frame has the sound you like. The large frame sounds like the one that truck has in the video you posted. When I exchanged my trucks starter last year from small frame to large the sound freaked me out. Its a higher powered starter. But it just doesn't sound the same......... They don't list them any differently at the parts store. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKsZvTDHij8 Watch his video its real helpful.

Not around here it seems. They list the same starter for all the "old" mopars at the stores. That is the one I have in the car currently...

Interesting, and they can't order one?
In stock at my local NAPA $48

Starter.jpg

Alan

Starter.jpg

I been trying to imagine what would be different in a rebuilt starter compared to an original unit and speaking of the unique sound it is caused by the reduction drive style design. that obviously doesn't change when its rebuilt, Zac, does your starter look the same as the one in the photo above? I am wondering since the one you like has also been rebuilt in the past it may also sound different, but i cant imagine why.
01.jpg

01.jpg

There isn't any as long as you buy the small frame model. You can tell the difference by measuring the black cover. Small frame is smaller. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRuIHTWZHw0

I been trying to imagine what would be different in a rebuilt starter compared to an original unit and speaking of the unique sound it is caused by the reduction drive style design. that obviously doesn't change when its rebuilt, Zac, does your starter look the same as the one in the photo above? I am wondering since the one you like has also been rebuilt in the past it may also sound different, but i cant imagine why.
View attachment 29051

The difference in sound comes from the gear reduction. Earlier starters are 3:1 reduction. later stuff is 2:1 reduction. You can tell the difference when you pop the cover off the gear set and compare the two. I believe the 3:1 appears larger. If I can dig some out of my stash, I will send pics. They went with 2:1 as it would spin the engine faster for the electronic ignition. The reluctor in the distributor triggered better when the distributor spun faster. The classic sound you are looking for is definitely the 3:1 type starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back