Wyatt convinced me to destroy my 71...

This car is a lucky girl, getting a lot of love from both @sixpkrt and @71Polara383. I expect that she'll be a real star at next year's Carlisle -- 50th reunion for the '71s. Meanwhile, it is really great to see the amount of '70-'71 C-body expertise being created and/or shared both locally in Illinois and with folks locally (such as @Xenon) and further away (like @david hill, @cbarge and @saforwardlook, whose generous help and expertise have helped me many times as well).

Last edited:
With all the craziness in the world these days its nice to get together for a few beers and work on the car!

20200403_200317.jpg

20200403_201709.jpg

20200403_170250.jpg

After looking over the splash shield kit from Detroit Muscle Technologies, the shields are a good match to the originals, but what was noticed there are 2 shields that aren't in their 69-71 Chrysler kit. The picture below includes the 2 old splash shields. If I recall, they go just behind the bumper mounted to the stub frame, protecting the strut rods. (one of the old pieces is missing 1/2 of the shield & the piece in the lower right corner is what it should look like)
Was wondering where to buy this material, and if anyone else here who replaced their splash shield, ran into the same issue?
Splash shield.jpg

After looking over the splash shield kit from Detroit Muscle Technologies, the shields are a good match to the originals, but what was noticed there are 2 shields that aren't in their 69-71 Chrysler kit. The picture below includes the 2 old splash shields. If I recall, they go just behind the bumper mounted to the stub frame, protecting the strut rods. (one of the old pieces is missing 1/2 of the shield & the piece in the lower right corner is what it should look like)
Was wondering where to buy this material, and if anyone else here who replaced their splash shield, ran into the same issue?
View attachment 366412
I'd get hold of Jim and let him know of the discrepancy and see what you can work out with him. I've always found him extremely accommodating.

Took half the day prepping the rear bumper surrounds, clean up the surface rust, then later priming and spraying it back to looking presentable again.
The last pic is how it looked when I got the car.
One more thing is off my list now.
Bumper7.jpg
Bumper6.jpg
Bumper4.jpg
Bumper2.jpg
Bumper1.jpg
Bumper8.jpg

I sure hope you are not going to put those ridiculous bumper guards back on, are you?? The factory bump strip was just a long rubber strip just below the tail lights.

The bumper guard will not be going on.
PM me If anyone wants them they're free.
I'll ship them to you, but you pay the postage.

Late to the party as usual (and now knowing where the location of the One Wheel Peel occurred). I believe I am looking into the future of what I plan on doing to Delmae, well.... not to the degree of precision y'all are doing it. It looks damn good! One question I do have- what are you using for the rubber mounting isolators for the subframe?

I was concerned there would be a problem with the isolators and their condition when the stub frame was taken out, thinking they would be dry rotted or falling apart, but all of them were in one piece.
When removed, they were as hard as a hockey puc, with 2 of them having some crusty rust sticking to them from the shims that go between the isolators and front floor of the car.
I soaked them in really hot water, and changed out the hot water for new a couple times, then left them overnight to soak.
The next day, 95% of what needed to be scrubbed off, came off easily.
After the isolators had soaked in only hot water, they no longer felt like a hockey puc, and were very pliable and were reused.
I do not believe these isolators are repopped anywhere, but I did see similar ones that could possibly been used that may have worked, being sold for chebbys when I was checking the interweb.

Last Friday I didn't have a whole lot going on with anything work related, so I asked Wyatt to come the shop so we can take my block to the machine shop to have hot tanked along with the intake manifold, and to have them replace the cam bearings and distributor drive shaft bushing.
He agreed to help out and came over with his truck (I wish now I never sold mine), and we dropped everything off.
The machine shop called this morning to let me know everything was done and ready for pick up.
When with Wyatt last Friday we got to talking about the pact we made on getting our cars ready for Carlisle, and getting them road worthy for the trip.
Knowing the shop Wyatt has is not currently heated and with the cold temps we have around here, I suggested we go get his 440, and bring it over to my shop and we'll get them both done at the same time.
Once we got it here and disassembled and sorted out, we will both be staying on track, keeping our builds going.
Where we are today, with Wyatt's 440.....Even my little shop dog was looking on as we went to work Friday night.
View attachment 345225

Our good friend Xenon will be guiding us two rookies, giving direction during the builds on our 440's, including making some modifications we will be doing, to increase performance and reliability. Having friendships like this are invaluable.
Last time Xenon and I discussed the rebuild and cleaning of parts, he suggested having some of the parts cleaned through an ultrasonic cleaning process.
We got online and looked up a reasonably low cost ultrasonic cleaner, and found them to be lower in cost than I had previously thought they would be.
I went with the 30 litre cleaner. Wyatt and I will be giving this new toy a work out over the next several weeks, cleaning our parts.
View attachment 345226 View attachment 345227
Seems pretty straight forward. Depending on how the parts turn out once cleaned, I'll go out on a ledge here to say, I'm optimistic this was a good investment.
I am interested in additional information regarding the ultrasonic cleaner you procured. I believe that I found it, but wanted to confirm the size...

Did you get the 10 liter or 30 liter or ?

New Stainless Steel 10L Industry Heated Ultrasonic Cleaner Heater w/Timer | eBay

I was concerned there would be a problem with the isolators and their condition when the stub frame was taken out, thinking they would be dry rotted or falling apart, but all of them were in one piece.
When removed, they were as hard as a hockey puc, with 2 of them having some crusty rust sticking to them from the shims that go between the isolators and front floor of the car.
I soaked them in really hot water, and changed out the hot water for new a couple times, then left them overnight to soak.
The next day, 95% of what needed to be scrubbed off, came off easily.
After the isolators had soaked in only hot water, they no longer felt like a hockey puc, and were very pliable and were reused.
I do not believe these isolators are repopped anywhere, but I did see similar ones that could possibly been used that may have worked, being sold for chebbys when I was checking the interweb.
Good work. However, ensure that the isolators do not have small cracks in them that may be concealed due to the hot water soak... I have had an experience where the anti-sway bar bushings exhibited small cracks and I ended up tossing them and replacing them with polyurethane components...

The ultrasonic cleaner that was purchased was a 30L unit. The 10L was just too small. The link in your post is the same maker of the one I have and it was on eBay too.
I continue to use it as recently as yesterday and it really does a nice job.

Trying to keep on track with the progress on the New Yorker as the car show season approaches, especially with the 4th Annual C Body Show and Chryslers at Carlisle shows both nearing the drop dead time frame to get everything finished.
I finished up the front bumper over the weekend, after sourcing another one from a junkyard. Once back here, I took it apart and reused some of the bumper surround chrome trim pieces from it which was in better condition than my original pieces. Later on after cleaning up the surround inserts and painting them, the front bumper brackets were treated to a good cleaning too before putting everything back together.
front bumper 01.jpg
front bumper 02.jpg
front bumper 03.jpg
front bumper1.jpg
front bumper3.jpg
front bumper4.jpg

After looking at the headlight bezels, I knew these couldn't go on without being cleaned up and painted too. I put the new headlights in only to get a better look of how they'll look.
headlight bezel1.jpg
headlight bezel2.jpg

Back