Separate names with a comma.
Dana the Magic Man...
Tim found these white buckets locally and figured they would match the vinyl top better then the gold seats. Had me go pick them up today!
Nice zero mile car seats.
Looks like Ayilar has had a good outcome! Congratulations!!
But Tim can send me his gold seats as I would find a good home for them. They are one of my favorites too!
Those buckets would look fine in the New Yorker, but then I'd have to find a console with brackets and new steering column to go with them...….and door panels, and a white dash pad, and a new headliner, and white seat belts and the back seat.
Meh, I'll keep mine.
The hood is done and the bumper went back on last night.
Moved some stuff around to make room in the shop to get the R/T out for a spin for the first time after 7 months of hibernation.
Naw, you would need just a black dashpad for your car if it had a white interior - you might indeed have a hard time finding a white dashpad since they never made one.........................
Sorry Xenon, I only like the brocade cloth ones that Tim has and are in great condition. I already have the original high back vinyl buckets in my 1971 New Yorker! But thank your for the offer!
As best as anyone can tell, Chryslers at Carlisle is still on. I'm planning on having some long days and nights between now and the date we leave Illinois for PA on July 7th, finishing up the New Yorker for the trip. It's beginning to feel like one of those cable t.v. shows, with a race against the clock, getting a car finished, and to a show miles and miles away.
Over the past several weeks, Wyatt and I have helped each other out at each of our shops, trying to beat the clock for Carlisle.
He's helped out a bunch on the NYer, but we've also had some late night wrenching over in Rockford getting his car ready.
Last post I made on the car was showing the rear bumper back on. Since then the hood and core support have been finished, and the inner fenders have gotten a coat of POR-15. The steering column, brake booster are back in, and the brake lines have been gravity blead over a couple days.
Our local Mopar engine guru Xenon, has made it out to my shops several times over the past several weeks, and has helped out tremendously with building the HP440. Having the ton of knowledge Xenon has, and with the willingness (and patience w/me) to teach engine building on a step by step basis is truly appreciated.
Here are some pics taken over the past couple weeks...
The rear valance had a few dings in it and some black carbon marking from the exhaust, that just needed a good scrubbing to remove the marks.
I pounded out the ding and straightened the rear valance with the use of a couple block of wood, sandwiching the dented areas until the hammering straightened it out enough for my liking.
The core support came out nice with the new condenser and dryer from AC Global, and after taking @davidhill recommendation of painting the front of the core support black, the look is way better and more original than if I had left everything painted Crystal Dawn metallic.
The hood cleaned up nice too once treated with zinc chromate, primer and the finish paint. The dust shield had years of road grime, but after applying a little elbow grease, it now looks new next to the updated under hood insulation.
Great work and great pics! Where did you buy the under-hood insulation?
As mentioned a couple posts back, @Xenon has made the engine build experience for me, my favorite part of this build, and has made memories that'll last a lifetime.
Torqueing the connecting rods to FSM specs and installation of the cam went as planned, however the 3 ARP bolts for the cam from 440 Source required some needed finessing to the timing chain cover so they would no long rub. Once seeing where the marks were being made, after a few taps with a hammer, and refitted for clearance, the problem was solved.
I usually don't like being in these pics, but yeah that's me, gold chain & all..
Next, getting the heads and rocker control shaft's on.
I had these heads machined a very reputable machine shop, and have used them before. When trying to tighten down the rockers, the bolts would not seat enough to secure the shaft. After we looked into it, we found the machine shop must not have blew out the bolt holes after they were hot tanked. Rather than breaking off a bolt in one of the heads, all holes on the heads and on the engine were chased and blown out to remove any debris.
Once the heads, valley pan, intake manifold, water pump housing were on, it was time to prep for the hemi orange paint.
After thoroughly cleaning the block and all surfaces with lacquer thinner, I taped off the sections for where the HP exhaust manifolds would go, and put some old spark plugs in where they would go, to keep the paint out. I even taped the plugs since I plan on using them of the break in.
Taped off, on went the primer.....
Someone with a sharp eye will notice I bolted up the water pump in the wrong position, as Xenon pointed out. After the hemi orange was sprayed (using a paint sprayer this time....no rattle can), I clocked the water pump to the correct position.
Yeah baby....there's nothing like a hemi orange engine...
Painted with Eastwood's high temp ceramic engine paint and a 4 to 1 mixture with their activator.
The last pic above shows the water pump in the right position.
Started adding some brackets and fuel pump after the motor mounts were placed once painted.
Just to have a first look with the freshly built Carter AVS from @Dana. She's not bolted up, but will be soon.
Insulation and clips came from Van's
Good work and I saw the weep hole 90 degrees off.
Look's great. Rear bumper and valance look great. How many days till we smell smoke and burning paint. Have we lost anyone in the caravan of c bodies to Carlisle.