Wyatt convinced me to destroy my 71...

While out of the office today I got a call from the powder coating company to let me know the parts I dropped off for sandblasting were ready. So I stopped over at their place to pick them up on my way back to the shop.
They turned out nice, and will be thoroughly blasted with the air hose to remove any remnants from the sandblasting before they get painted.
Sandblasted parts 1_28_20.jpg

The guy doing the sandblasting was one of the guys that brought the stub frame back to the shop after it was powder coated.
While at their shop today, he told me he spent additional time on the water pump housing and intake to be sure no nooks & cranny's were missed.
I'll probably invite them over for a beer or two when the weather breaks.

Tim if you have a parts washer direct a continuous stream of fluid down through the vent opening on your right valve cover. This will remove sand blast material that is very hard to retrieve. This is a must do as bearing contamination and failure can result. Change the direction of the fluid every 15-20 min to assure best results

Tim if you have a parts washer direct a continuous stream of fluid down through the vent opening on your right valve cover. This will remove sand blast material that is very hard to retrieve. This is a must do as bearing contamination and failure can result. Change the direction of the fluid every 15-20 min to assure best results

Don't forget to do the same on the intake -- every runner, bolt hole and crevice will hold media. Do NOT stand over it while blowing it out with compressed air to dry it or ya might lose an eye.

While out of the office today I got a call from the powder coating company to let me know the parts I dropped off for sandblasting were ready. So I stopped over at their place to pick them up on my way back to the shop.
They turned out nice, and will be thoroughly blasted with the air hose to remove any remnants from the sandblasting before they get painted.
View attachment 348678
Looks great!
To go the extra mile,I grounded off the casting lines on the w/p housing for a smooth look..A small detail but I recommend it!
IMG_5647.JPG

IMG_5646.JPG

DSC01778.JPG

DSC01781.JPG

This morning I dropped off the core support to have it sand blasted. The place I've been taking parts to for the sand blasting got slammed over the last week with orders, but I should have it back by end of the week.
Over the weekend got to do some more cleaning & painting small parts, with the assistance of Wyatt who came over.
Watching the other restoration threads from @Wollfen , @'69FuryIIIConvertible and all the others on this forum, are an inspiration to keep this one going.
2_8 painting parts.jpg
2_8 painted parts.jpg
2_8 power coated upper_lower.jpg
2_8 stripped T bars.jpg
2_8 day 1 stub assembly.jpg

Keep at it. I wish I had the time and place right now. I need to start doing some little things that I don't need the car present to do. Once the weather breaks I'm gonna be a busy boy.

Last edited:
I like the laundry paint rack, I tried to convince my wife to let me borrow one from the house...

Apparently I can't use it for painting, I can't use the dishwasher to clean parts, I can't use the oven to cure paint....

Nick

Started cleaning up the spindles today. After degreasing them and a couple cycles through the sonic cleaner, I took the wire wheel to them to remove any remaining crud, taped off the spindle and shot some primer on them. I'm surprised how much weight that $10 Wally World towel rack can hold.
Paint and reassembly of the front brakes are next. One more to do.
The powder coater called to let me know the core support was finished, so I drove over an picked it up.
When I took it over to them, I asked to have it sandblasted and primed, but I didn't expect them to powder coat it in primer.
They told me they don't do any liquid materials there, so this was a nice surprise. It came out very nice.
I already have the crystal dawn metallic paint, so it gets rattle canned soon too.
Feb 13 Prepping for paint.jpg
Feb 13 priming spindle parts.jpg
Feb 13 Powder coated core supp.jpg

It's exciting to see your progress Tim! Keep pecking away, it's going to be showtime before you know it :thumbsup:

Started cleaning up the spindles today. After degreasing them and a couple cycles through the sonic cleaner, I took the wire wheel to them to remove any remaining crud, taped off the spindle and shot some primer on them. I'm surprised how much weight that $10 Wally World towel rack can hold.
Paint and reassembly of the front brakes are next. One more to do.
The powder coater called to let me know the core support was finished, so I drove over an picked it up.
When I took it over to them, I asked to have it sandblasted and primed, but I didn't expect them to powder coat it in primer.
They told me they don't do any liquid materials there, so this was a nice surprise. It came out very nice.
I already have the crystal dawn metallic paint, so it gets rattle canned soon too.
View attachment 352803 View attachment 352804 View attachment 352805

Everything is looking great, but it looks like you need some clean disc brake shields to match the level of work on the other parts :poke:

We, errr Snapon, sell a nice hand held soda blaster that uses bicarbonate of soda for the media. Rinses off and dissolves with water or parts cleaner. Much safer than sand blasting for areas like what you're working on. JWLSB2 about $170.

Back