Yearlong E body project

New seat covers installed, these are older pics obviously.

image.jpeg
Here's the instrument cluster that was in it when my dad bought it. Not correct, the wood grain appliqué was a Baracuda Gran Coupe thing and a mismatched set of gauges. The new carpet going in and a shot of the floor pan. The rust in the rear foot wells was really just surface and I coated it with some por before the new carpet.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Damn so when did all of this take place? How long from when your buddy got it to this point? You're going to have it easily back together before the salt is off the roads.
He had the car for 3 weeks or so over the holiday season.

It's back in my shop as of Saturday morning.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
The trans is next. If I did nothing else to the car, the trans would have kept me from driving it another season so I guess you can say that this is where the hemorrhage started. Leaving a light in drive it was very loosely shifting into 3rd by the other side of the intersection and boy did it slip when it was cold.

image.jpeg

I would use a stock 340 or stock Hemi converter, something that stalls around 22-2400, because you have some tall gears in there and don't want excessive slip at 45-55 mph.

Here's what's left of the first reverse band and that's unusual for anything that doesn't plow snow for a living. The car still has a 2.97 open rear that is more than likely not original but I can't say for sure, anyway I have a 3.23 SG for it.

image.jpeg

New ralley gauges that still need some detailing along with the little tear in the dash pad that needs some attention. Also converting the 2 speed wiper system to the 3 speed mainly because the motor looks better in the engine room.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Love that Challey, great job! Like everyone else here, I had 'em and got rid of 'em, but I still miss 'em. Looks like you still need to change the label on that rear defog switch...:poke:

Love that Challey, great job! Like everyone else here, I had 'em and got rid of 'em, but I still miss 'em. Looks like you still need to change the label on that rear defog switch...:poke:
Yes sir, like I said, plenty of details will be left to do but the main thing is that it'll be back on the road this season!

I completely forgot you were working on this one too. Coming out real nice!! Damn that guy works fast!! I need to make it out your way on one of these trips back up north, and check out the fleet. I can Never seem to make the time to venture off when there.

I just played catch up on this thread Matt. WOW....... Rolling right along and looks great.
It's good to have friends in the right places......
:popcorn:

Here's what's left of the first reverse band and that's unusual for anything that doesn't plow snow for a living. The car still has a 2.97 open rear that is more than likely not original but I can't say for sure, anyway I have a 3.23 SG for it.

View attachment 70215

3.23 SG is perfect for a street Challenger.

Back