1969 Imperial progress thread

I have a couple boards like that with busted pins and never knew how to fix them. Is that aluminum wire that you soldered into the open hole first then slid over the pin?

It was 2 "bigger" ~2 inch paper clip. It had the perfekt width. I guess it's aluminum!?
I cut off a piece a little longer than the pin itself, grinded all surfaces, put a little piece on solder inside the pin, heated it up and pushed the aluminum piece in. And finaly I soldered the top of the overlapping new pin to the base of the old pin.

Great fix on the circuit board!

The paperclip isn't aluminum though. Aluminum is a difficult to solder and you really need the correct fluxes and solder to do it. Chances are the clip was steel.

Well just seen this thread. I know of a good Imperial here being parted out. It is located in the Vancouver, BC area though. PM me with parts you may need.

I would solder the topside of the pins also to the printed circuit board.

I soldered the supperting splint pin to the inner side of the original pin itself by putting a small piece of solder insinde the original pin before I combined them.

Can you go to a neighboring country and get chroming done without the crazy enviro hassels.

There are cheaper offers from Poland, but I searched for reviews and I was not happy about what I've read...

Great fix on the circuit board!

The paperclip isn't aluminum though. Aluminum is a difficult to solder and you really need the correct fluxes and solder to do it. Chances are the clip was steel.

You're probably right, because after grinding the surface, it soldered pretty nice!

Vodka, I am proud to know you. For the rest of my life I can say, Hey, I know this German guy and....
6972344_orig.jpg

6972344_orig.jpg

How can I check my dash gauges? I found instroctions about how to check them in the car, but nothing helpful about checking them when removed!? How much volts and amps are the normal operating range for them?

Nice work Julian, very impressive! The girlfriend doesn't mind helping in the living room?:poke:

Thanks Matt! She hates it ;) She loves the car, but she is not the kind woman who has no problem with moldy seatbelts in the bathtub or polishing dust everywhere ;)

She have to live with it. And does it, in silence ;)

Thanks Matt! She hates it ;) She loves the car, but she is not the kind woman who has no problem with moldy seatbelts in the bathtub or polishing dust everywhere ;)

She have to live with it. And does it, in silence ;)

Vodka: I bet your girlfriend ain't happy with all that vinegar you've been using either. You are doing a truly terrific job removing all the rust and other crud from that car. Its gonna be amazing.

How can I check my dash gauges? I found instroctions about how to check them in the car, but nothing helpful about checking them when removed!? How much volts and amps are the normal operating range for them?

How complicated do you wanna get? 12v in to the ammeter and a pot on the lead from whichever gauge you want to test. ohm values should be in the FSM but off the top of my head they're 0-72ohm.

Thanks! As complicated as I have to. I'm still a noob for that matter, but normally I'm learing fast...

Ok, 12v was kinda clear... What do you mean with "pot"?

Vodka: I bet your girlfriend ain't happy with all that vinegar you've been using either. You are doing a truly terrific job removing all the rust and other crud from that car. Its gonna be amazing.

No vinegar at all! ;) I'm using brushes, wire brushes, sanding paper, Autosol and metal rescue. I used vinegar on the carb first and was not happy with the result. The metal become tarnished from the vinegar...

Thanks! As complicated as I have to. I'm still a noob for that matter, but normally I'm learing fast...

Ok, 12v was kinda clear... What do you mean with "pot"?

Potentiometer. Basically an adjustable resistor.

12 volts at the ammeter. The gauges are actually 5 volts. The voltage is stepped down with a voltage regulator so if you hook 12 volts to the ammeter connection with the gauges still in the cluster you will be ok. If the gauges are out and you are checking them individually, then you want 5 volts.

Posted via Topify on Android

1364358750288374.jpg

Just kidding ;) She is great, she suffers in silence :p

Maybe it sounded like the whole livingroom is a working place... It's not, just one corner of it and sometimes the bathroom to clean things ;) But I always clean up immediately!

1364358750288374.jpg

Back