1972 Imperial Transport

DeMopuar

Reaction score
Just got back home in Wisconsin after picking up a 1972 Imperial out of Alabama (950 miles one way). Will helped me with the purchase of this car - Thanks again Will for helping me out with this - I certainly appreciate it. Lots of nice options I was looking for on this car. I really like the color combination of black exterior as well as the white interior. The leather bucket seats are great too as well as the dual air conditioning option that I have never seen on a coupe before. I've seen this option on sedans, but never on a coupe. Has anyone ever seen the H54 ATC II dual air conditioning on another coupe?

I picked up the Imperial with my enclosed trailer - this car has sat outside for some time and now it will not be out in the elements. My trailer has a dolly system that allows me to tie the car down to the dollies outside the trailer on the ramp door to the car tires, and then drag the car in to the trailer on the dollies and then tie the dollies to the trailer. A lot of steps, but when the car is done, there will be no issues with marring anything on the frame rails or suspension pieces as I will be able to just tie down not the tires themselves. The Imperial in the trailer towed great back to Wisconsin. I had absolutely no trouble getting back home - I traveled from the Birmingham area to Paducah, KY, for the first night home. Then back to Wisconsin on Monday. It was a long trip down and back - but definitely worth it.

I am looking forward to putting this on my four post lift to do a better inspection of the rockers, trunk floor extensions, frame rails, and floors of this car. I can see some rust holes here and there - but I don't know how extensive the tin worm is yet. My plan is to get going on this car after my new garage gets put together - which will hopefully be in a year from now - it might be a year and a half from now - who knows? At any rate, I do have indoor storage for this car so the body issues will not get any worse - it is definitely worth saving. I also plan on removing the trunk carpet as well as lifting the carpet in the passenger's compartment just to make sure there isn't any moisture in the pad or carpet to make anything worse. The car is running and driving now, so I will also check out the mechanicals and enjoy it as best I can before I take anything apart.

Any other ideas that I can do to preserve the car better until I can give it more attention in a year or so?

P.S. Will, the tire did go flat in the rear right hand side - but it was still fine in the trailer and the car didn't even get close to the sidewall of the trailer. Again, it all worked out really well!!!!

IMG_9851.JPG

IMG_9852.JPG

IMG_9854.JPG

IMG_9855.JPG

Last edited:
Sweet car definitely worth preserving. Throw some desiccant bags inside the car once you close it up for the year so it will be dry for the interim. Also wouldn't hurt to put some rodent bait traps around the floor and trunk etc too.

Congratulations and thank you for saving this beauty. Looking forward to reading more about it.

Also: Thanks Will.

Thank you for saving another one! Will's a busy man, so much for retirement!

Well done congrats!

Awesome trailer too! Never seen one with that dolly system - I want one. Nice score on that Imp.

Will, you’re looking a little thin, why don’t you have a sandwich?:poke:

I'd love to "transfer" some of the weight from me to whoever would take it...............damn...............

Awesome trailer too! Never seen one with that dolly system - I want one. Nice score on that Imp.

The trailer is made in Cresco IA by Alum-Line. Expensive as sin.........but it works really well. I've had many trailers before this one - and with any luck, this will be my last one.

Glad you had a safe trip home Mark. It was a pleasure meeting you and Jr....?
Your plans for the car exceed what I would have done with her, so no regrets passing her on. I have my hands full with Virgil. Likely my last full restoration so I really can finally retire, and eat some sandwich's. (Thanks Matt).

A couple pic's of Marks rig. Wildest system I've seen in awhile.

DSC04275.JPG
DSC04276.JPG

That is a beautiful car in great colours. I can't imagine they made too many Black cars with White interiors and tops, for shame. To answer your first question, I have seen another coupe, 72 or 73 Imperial with every option including dual A/C, save for sunroof. Car was triple black and unfortunately rusty, to a degree rarely seen. And as others have noticed, freakin' sweet trailer!

Am I right to assume one "tray" goes under each axle?

Yes, each tray goes under each axle. The two tires of each car axle are tied down to each tray, and then the trays are tied down to the trailer with two straps each. So no door is required on the trailer as you don't need to be in the car when you drag it in the trailer. All of the tying down of the car is done on the ramp door - it's a lot of steps as Will can attest to, but it does work very well. Also, you can see the jacks at the rear of the trailer - these really need to be there so the "tracks" of the trays don't bind as the loaded trays are winched into the trailer. The only reason my trays go over the fender boxes or wells is because I have one really wide car that would otherwise be a little too tight between the fender wells of the trailer. Otherwise, the trays could also go down on the floor of the trailer if your cars fit between the trailer fender boxes or wells.

That is a beautiful car in great colours. I can't imagine they made too many Black cars with White interiors and tops, for shame. To answer your first question, I have seen another coupe, 72 or 73 Imperial with every option including dual A/C, save for sunroof. Car was triple black and unfortunately rusty, to a degree rarely seen. And as others have noticed, freakin' sweet trailer!

Was the car you saw out of Canada or the USA? This is the only other coupe with dual air conditioning I've ever heard of - very nice...........

Thanks for the trailer kudos............I hope to never have to get another. This one can do it all except get into a small gas station or tight quarters when picking up a car.

Glad you had a safe trip home Mark. It was a pleasure meeting you and Jr....?
Your plans for the car exceed what I would have done with her, so no regrets passing her on. I have my hands full with Virgil. Likely my last full restoration so I really can finally retire, and eat some sandwich's. (Thanks Matt).

A couple pic's of Marks rig. Wildest system I've seen in awhile.

View attachment 149654 View attachment 149655

Yes, Jr. was helping me out. He was a great help loading the car as well as wonderful company on the trip home. We were driving at 75 mph with our setup with no issue. The Ram 5500 with the Cummins never skipped a beat and pulls like a freight train. The trailer weighed almost 12,000 pounds with the Imperial loaded. Never a dull moment........

Mark, You might try putting some dryer sheets in the trunk, interior and under the hood. They will keep rodents away and not smell so bad as mothballs. I change mine out every three months. Keeps things smelling fresh too.....

Mark, You might try putting some dryer sheets in the trunk, interior and under the hood. They will keep rodents away and not smell so bad as mothballs. I change mine out every three months. Keeps things smelling fresh too.....

Yes, I've done this in the past with great results. I will get some sheets and spread throughout the car. These little demons are starting to come in with the cold that is almost upon us. I think I'll get some sticky traps too. I put a little dab of peanut butter in the middle and it's amazing how many I catch. It's usually around 6 to 10 of them until it stays cold, then it's pretty quiet the rest of the winter in the frozen tundra.

Back